PvP Progress Update

I haven't read the thread and I hope this has been said already but I will say it anyway. Letting people play as many matches as possible and counting only number of wins is a bad ranking system. Players should be ranked by win% not win number otherwise you will get people who specialize in fast duels instead of winning duels. That makes pvp more like a race event, and we already cater to race players.

Also, coming from Magic tg, the best tournament tiebreaker is opponents' match win percentage. It's a statistic of how well your opponents performed, which tells you how hard your opposition was. So if two players are tied, you can look at their OMW% and see which one earned their ranking more.
"
Faagerstrom wrote:
I haven't read the thread and I hope this has been said already but I will say it anyway. Letting people play as many matches as possible and counting only number of wins is a bad ranking system. Players should be ranked by win% not win number otherwise you will get people who specialize in fast duels instead of winning duels. That makes pvp more like a race event, and we already cater to race players.

Also, coming from Magic tg, the best tournament tiebreaker is opponents' match win percentage. It's a statistic of how well your opponents performed, which tells you how hard your opposition was. So if two players are tied, you can look at their OMW% and see which one earned their ranking more.

It can go both ways. What's stopping someone from playing ultraconservative with lots of kiting... getting a win the first round then drawing out the rest of the rounds as long as possible?

They might only get 5 wins in the tournament but a perfect record. You think that's better than someone with 20 wins and 1 loss?
IGN: _Firebitch
Last edited by Firebrand76 on Dec 6, 2013, 7:58:04 PM
"
Maniaa wrote:
IF you don't split PvP and PvE part (the fact that you NEED a PvE oriented build to get currencies, items and level to play in PvP), it's most likely going to stay as it is actually : no one really give a fuck because if you build a character for PvP, he sucks for PvE.

Easy suggestions on top of my head :

- Dedicated Passives Tree for PvP : you're using any of your character, but he can use a differente passive tree for PvP only.
- Normalize level in PvP : others games did it successfully, for example, everyone is level 50, 80, 100 it doesn't matter, just everyone have the same level. Then, you don't have to "farm PvE" to get PvP advantage.
- Make some items and/or currencies and/or uniques bound to account and bound to PvP only. For example, Kaom's Heart (and some others uniques) might unbalance the PvP. If everyone can get them (for PvP only, with coins, tokens or what even you would like), it'll solve a big balance problem. I don't see how a lvl.95 player with Kaom + 6L versus a lvl.80 player with 5L "only" and a bad weapon can be equitable, no matter what spec they're gonna use.

In fact, I sure the best thing that can happen to PoE is a PvP Tournament with a format like Descent Champions : everyone roll a fresh new character, with the same level (for ex, 80). You start with a predetermined Chest with currencies, and you have time to roll your items and plan your build before the tournament start. Everyone is lvl.80 with the same amount of currencies (like 50 Chaos, 10 Exalts, 1 Eternal etc... New currencie : Orb of Unique), and you can buy white items from Vendors.

If the current PvE can benefit future PvP tournaments, it will not work. Mark my words.

Maniaa is totally right...
I don't know... I pve with my pvp character with no problems. You have to spec for defense and offense either way. What's the difference really?

I might not faceroll pve but clear time isn't that high on my list of priorities. A good pvp character is.
IGN: _Firebitch
Last edited by Firebrand76 on Dec 6, 2013, 8:36:17 PM
"
Akaihana wrote:
First page, have nothing important to say I am a scrub

Edit: Ha yes I have something to say: Need an INTERFACE UPDATE ;)
Nice incomings for PvP

+1 INTERFACE UPDATE
"
I sort of wish Capture the Flag got more attention and was more accessible. From all accounts it's a lot of fun, but no one's really talking about it.

A feature such as easy-to-facilitate friendly CTF matches with guild mates would be amazing, and eventually between guilds.

Placing it in the same mostly ignored system as the existing pvp setup really didn't do it justice.

Yeah I forget that this thing even exist, it's just tucked away somewhere and over time I forgot about it completely...and I really really love PVP :(

good news
I know there is extensive,and a ton of threads on pvp. i get it.

but a few things i think would make pvp a lot smother and less of a headache.
It has been tossed around to nerf certain skills or take complete skills out and dmg types.

has any one thought of for just pvp only,a cool down timer for buff/debuff,and vulns,and certain elemental procs.

I like the idea of dueling for fun and for practice. Any way we can have random maps like the maps are now but with no mobs or loot. Allow for strategic solid objects in the map to use as tactical advantages and disadvantages. I think these types of dueling maps should be able to support up to 10v10 for king of the hill,cap flag,and maybe at some point some kind of base holding with proc unlocks as places are held,or global debuffs when other parts of the map is held..

any ways i am eager to test it out and play in them.
Looking forward to the next three patches for sure..

Soulreaver_chris
Last edited by Soulreaver_chris on Dec 6, 2013, 9:14:37 PM
"
Chris wrote:

It's my understanding that we'll be able to put CTF events in the new Tournament Seasons (if people enjoy them and feel they fit, of course). This should bring them a lot more exposure.

thats great news! I was hoping ctf would be in the tournament circuit!
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug
Please make a option so you can not be duelled, really not up for canceling every time random x player wants to dual

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info