ZiggyD's Etheral Knives Mana Shield Scion/Shadow Build Guide - Hardcore (Updated for 1.1)

"
nightblade157 wrote:
"
Can anyone tell me why neither ziggy nor isu (though their trees appear identical) took the doomcast passive (the 60% crit strike for spells) even though they go right past it (and there's another 30% on near the starting area) ... seems that'd be a great thing to pick up and requires no detour to get to.

Also is Iron Reflexes really worth it? If Dex no longer provides any sort of buff to evasion rating, and you're not wearing any evasion gear then this must be a fairly minimal amount to convert to armour, no? (other than the times when you're using grace).

Cheeeeers.

1. Doom cast will increase EK crit chance from 5% to 8% (assuming no other crit nodes/gear). And without any sort of crit multiplier in passive tree or gear, 3% extra crit chance is hardly any dps boost.

Keep in mind though that Doom Cast affects elemental debuffs as well. With all the Fire and Cold damage we are stacking onto EK, Burning damage raises DPS further (small numbers maybe, but non-zero) and Freezing mobs raises your survivability (again, by a small amount, but non-zero).

If the total added "spell damage" from crits + burning is any amount over 6% (on average, you can do the math yourself), then it is more efficient than the Scion nodes off of Harrier (which are the highest closest SD%; Path of the Savant and Witch nodes are higher but much farther away). If that's already the case, then I guess it ultimately depends on how much "3% Chance to Freeze" as an additional mofifier is ultimately worth to you. If those 6% nodes are worth it to you in the first place, then it's a clear upgrade over those and a very nice little take for 1 point at endgame.
Wouldn't Physical Projectile Attack Damage be better in the 6L than Iron Will? You don't exactly get heaps of Strength in the tree.
Last edited by SiennaSkies on Mar 15, 2014, 12:12:01 PM
"
Wouldn't Physical Projectile Attack Damage be better in the 6L than Iron Will? You don't exactly get heaps of Strength in the tree.

EK is a spell and is therefore not affected by Physical Projectile Attack Damage.

FP Mana Shield Shadow

Hello ZiggyD (or anyone else who can answer this question)

Would switching EK for Freezing Pulse work?

I was thinking of something like this:
Passive Tree

Essentially I leave out the tree to the left and focus on picking up the freeze/crit damage nodes around the shadow tree.

You will still have 25% Reduced Reserved from Passives (allowing you to run discipline, grace, clarity, arctic armor).

Life is a bit lower at 233%.

Main skill would be

Freezing Pulse - GMP - Life Leech - Mana Leech - Increased Critical - Power Charge on Critical

(pick up power charges close to tree lategame)

Reason I was thinking about running this, instead of EK is because it seems a little more fun and dps might be higher with a small trade-off for health and aura nodes.

Let me know what you think
Last edited by Violander on Mar 16, 2014, 4:32:14 AM
"
Violander wrote:
FP Mana Shield Shadow

Hello ZiggyD (or anyone else who can answer this question)

Hey seems fine, definitely viable.

I fixed up some of your passives,
You wasted a couple above Bloodthirst, swapped +10 int for 15% inc crit chance and removed a +10 int you didn't need.

Also grabbed arcane focus instead of the way you went which was only ES Delay which doesn't apply to your build.
Still the same amount of points.

Good luck :)
Ziggy, wouldn't the right side of the tree be better like this:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBBH4F-Q5IEZYV5xXwFm8XLxjbGYUZihpsGo8a2xzcHaoelCP2JDwkqiaVJ6ko-imlLYMvbzbpOlg8jkWdRnFJUUp9TipQQlVLVcZV1lYtVvpXyVpIWm1br2KsZOdnoG17b55wu3OzdPF6qn_GgKSCHoLHgwmFMocZh3aIQow2j0aTJ5cGmuCbtZ2qna6iLqcIp1ysP6x_tAy4k7vjwcXDOsSiykrPZdDQ1U_WndkT2wvcV90N3nfhiONq6rrr7u4O7_Dwa_Pd9tr5Y_no-tL7CfzF_ro=

Yes, it's 3 more points but also allot more %HP. You'll loose 50% increase evasion though, not sure what that is worth.
"
Shipman wrote:

Thanks for the improvements.

Might give it a try next then. Wanted to do something with FP for a while, but normal life FP isn't good enough and CI costs a bit too much.

Would you change any links for FP?

Like for instance swapping for Cold Pen and/or Faster Projectiles?
"
Violander wrote:

To get decent dps with Freezing Pulse, you need a VERY different build, one that focuses on crit and ice damage. You might check out this build instead (it's for a Witch, but you could easily start from the Shadow area).

"
foojin wrote:
Ziggy, wouldn't the right side of the tree be better like this:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBBH4F-Q5IEZYV5xXwFm8XLxjbGYUZihpsGo8a2xzcHaoelCP2JDwkqiaVJ6ko-imlLYMvbzbpOlg8jkWdRnFJUUp9TipQQlVLVcZV1lYtVvpXyVpIWm1br2KsZOdnoG17b55wu3OzdPF6qn_GgKSCHoLHgwmFMocZh3aIQow2j0aTJ5cGmuCbtZ2qna6iLqcIp1ysP6x_tAy4k7vjwcXDOsSiykrPZdDQ1U_WndkT2wvcV90N3nfhiONq6rrr7u4O7_Dwa_Pd9tr5Y_no-tL7CfzF_ro=

Yes, it's 3 more points but also allot more %HP. You'll loose 50% increase evasion though, not sure what that is worth.

I like it! You can skip the three 8% life nodes near the beginning to save on points, like this:

I would personally go the original route so I could take Sentinel, but this is a nice variation.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on Mar 16, 2014, 6:35:31 PM
Hello,Zig. I wonder if you can show me how to build a cast on crit + discharge build.. i just dont know what is the suitable item or skill gems. thank you.
Hi everyone, I'm playing this build in Ambush and loving it. Very few deaths so far.

I have a few questions.

1. When's the right time to pick up Mind over Matter? My mana is at 1700 right now, 800 left after auras and mana regen at 140. I was thinking of reaching 2k mana and then taking MoM.

2. Am I right when assuming that Evasion is better than armor for this build? With pick a few nodes that increase Evasion rating, so in general our gear and flasks will provide us with slightly more evasion than armor and then all that evasion gets converted to armor. So, the right choice would be to pick up EV/ES gear and Jade flasks?

3. Can this build be used for MF-ing?

4. Why is projectile speed so important?
Last edited by _Elminister_ on Mar 18, 2014, 8:48:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info