new weapon type: Flails

Ball and chain, 3 section staff, nunchaku, Bola, Spinning Cloth. Whip Swords, whips, Flying Guillotine
I think this weapons are awesome maybe they should reduce block chance or something

here are some pictures for reference.

This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
But what are you suggesting? What would they do that no other category of weapons does now?

Properties? Specs? Implicit attribute? Requirements? What sets them apart from other 1 hand weapons?

The pics are sweet and all that. But... what new weapon type are you proposing?
stop over moderating that makes the official forums useless
"
bchan wrote:
But what are you suggesting? What would they do that no other category of weapons does now?

Properties? Specs? Implicit attribute? Requirements? What sets them apart from other 1 hand weapons?

The pics are sweet and all that. But... what new weapon type are you proposing?

i mentioned them reducing an enemies ability to block, but i was thinking they are clearly dex and str requirments as both power and finesse are required to properly wield them. though, i could see a case to be made for int and dex. some of the flails simply require more finesse and creativity like the whip chain or whips in general. usually i don't put too much thought into my suggestions... i assume if GGG likes my idea they are creative enough to implement however they want.

i can see both 1 and 2 handed flails. one handed flails should be more of the dex int style. They will reduce block chance while the 2 handed flail should have an attack speed bonus as with flails the faster you get them going the more damage they can do.

Hmm, we got the following weapons:

STR - maces
highSTR/lowDEX - axes
STR/DEX - swords
DEX - thrusting swords
DEX - bows
INT/DEX - daggers
INT/DEX - claws
STR/INT - scepters
STR/INT - staves
INT - wands

We do have some room here, flails might be highDEX/lowSTR weapons in mace class. Not sure about inherent bonus, maces have stun, scepters got elemental damage, axes got raw damage, swords got accuracy and crit multi...
Guess it might be a duelist weapon, it's surely flashy enough. The bonus could be longer reach, equalling two-handers, and high attack speed with average damege, the drawback could be inability to wield in off-hand as that's plain ridiculous.

We could have spears too as a pure DEX two-hander for rangers, they could have longer reach also and ability to ignore some percentage of armor (might be useful if enemies gain some meaningful amount of it someday). Yeah, shield charge could work with spears as an exception to make them more fun.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Sep 10, 2013, 4:39:43 AM
It would be a mace type that reduces the target's block chance. I would make it str/dex, with an emphasis on strength.
Bullshit, you get the game for free.

-Qarl
So, if you have ever seen: The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999) you have seen someone dual wield flails. This is kind of my inspiration for the suggestion. I have tried to find a clip of this on the internet but alas i cannot.
"
Hida_Kenshiro wrote:
So, if you have ever seen: The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999) you have seen someone dual wield flails. This is kind of my inspiration for the suggestion. I have tried to find a clip of this on the internet but alas i cannot.

So. . .basically, you want something that looks like flails in Path of Exile because you saw something cool in a movie?

Sounds like a microtransaction item effect to me. No need to go monkeying with the game balance.
"
Ladderjack wrote:
"
Hida_Kenshiro wrote:

So. . .basically, you want something that looks like flails in Path of Exile because you saw something cool in a movie?

Sounds like a microtransaction item effect to me. No need to go monkeying with the game balance.

so basically, you think limiting melee weapon types to about 5 is cool? I find that boring. Also you clearly haven't seen The Messenger. Otherwise, we'd have an understanding between us. Go watch it. you will thank me... you will also thank mila jovavich.
"
Hida_Kenshiro wrote:
so basically, you think limiting melee weapon types to about 5 is cool?

Claw
Dagger
Axe
Mace
Sword
Sceptre
Staff

You might want to re-check your math there, tiger. (And considering that one-hand vs. two-hand determines availability of skills, there are technically more designations than this.)

"
Hida_Kenshiro wrote:
Also you clearly haven't seen The Messenger.

I saw it in the theater. I wonder if you were old enough to go to the movies by yourself in 1999. . .

"
Hida_Kenshiro wrote:
you will also thank mila jovavich.

If you like looking at Milla Jovavich, check out "The Fifth Element". She is basically wearing nothing but band-aids for the first half of the movie.
We have swords which can reduce enemy block chance, but that doesn't really make much sense. Swords are, generally, very ineffective against shields (with few exceptions, like the zweihander, but then that would pretty much be written off as the technique and physique of its weilder than the sword itself). Flails, on the other hand, were designed to swing lethal momentum around a shield or intervening weapon to break collar bones, ribs, arms, and necks and such.

There could be room for more sub item types that fit within preexisting base types; they would only require 1-2 node clusters on the passive tree and the rest would be filled in by what is already there. What should be avoided unless it truly adds something to the game, is more base item types, as that just gets needlessly messy. It stands to reason that flails, as a sub type of maces, would fulfill a role within the game (taking reduced enemy shield block away from swords) without really detracting anything.

Whips, etc.. on the other hand.. What role would they fill? Neat as they are, they do not make effective implements of war, so why do our exiles need them to conquer the forces of Wraeclast?
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Sep 10, 2013, 8:29:53 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info