[OUTDATED]Voltaxic Rift LA Witch

NOTE: Outdated. I've updated this significantly and don't really want to spend the time updating the entire thread.

Not going to go super in depth, since it doesn't really need it.

The basics:
Voltaxic Rift is fairly easy to roll excellent values since it only has 2 variable stats.
The bow gives you near immunity to reflect.

Without this reflect immunity, you wouldn't be able to drop Vaal Pact, and dropping Vaal Pact is the source of the passive points used to get Zealot's Oath + body and Soul.
Body and Soul is a fairly big buff, because it gives you your only armour in this build, and it's a hefty 60% stacked on top of ES and resists. This combined with inner force, Iron reflexes, grace and granites is pretty nuts. You also get a small amount of eva from The Blood Dance to convert to armour.

Blood Rage will supply you with permanent frenzy charges. The Blood Dance will net you 6% ES/s regen.
Low Life Shavronnes version will net you 54% IAS from blood rage as well. You'll lose some or your regen based on how much chaos resist you have.

Pierce is vastly superior to chain. You will break 100% pierce with a quality projectile weakness. Your damage doesn't get halved, you aren't locked to +2 targets per arrow, and it doesn't require a gem slot. Projectile Weakness + Critical Weakness is absolutely god tier with this build.

90+70 Crit multiplier in tree, 70 on quiver. With 20% critical weakness this will get your crit multiplier close to 900%. Your crit chance will be in the 18-23 range, but that's not counting any bonuses to crit chance you have on your gear.

You can opt to grab the 70% crit multiplier near the Clear Mind to push your crit multiplier up to around 1100%.

Lightning Thorns is handled by your 6%/s regen + 24%/s leech (Q20 leech gem)
You CAN go point blank if you want to get close to mobs and deal absurd crit damage up close.

How to use:
Projectile Weakness + Crit Weakness on almost every mob.
Projectile Weakness + Enfeeble when needed.
Use frost wall to slam lightning arrows into for shotgun damage.
Conversion trap for all kinds of fun stuff.
Detonate Dead to deal with necros until you drop it when going LL Shavronnes.

Level 91 CI

Level 91 Shavronne's

Helm - Godly ES
Gloves - Godly ES
Boots - Rainbowstride until Zealot's Oath, then The Blood Dance
Chest - Best ES chest available until 5L/6L Shavronnes

Ring - Dream fragments until Auxium, then Godly Ring / Shavronne's Revelation
Ring - Doedre's Damning until Whispers of Doom, then Godly Ring / Lori's Lantern
Belt - Best ES/Res belt available until Auxium
Amulet - Eye of Chayula

Bow - Voltaxic Rift / Lioneye's Glare (Use until you have enough to buy a Voltaxic, unless Voltaxic drops in price really hard)
Quiver - Crit Multiplier+WED / Blackgleam

+1 Frenzy from bandits

Some personal notes:
"

Chest - 1006 ES
Helm - Godly ES
Gloves - Godly ES (Maybe Thunderfist)
Boots - Wanderlust until Dream Fragments, then Rainbowstride until Zealot's Oath, then The Blood Dance.
Amulet - Chayula
Ring 1 - Fragments Until Auxium, then Godly Ring / Shavronne's Revelation
Ring 1 - Damning until Dual Curse, then Godly Ring/Lori's Lantern
Belt - Auxium
Bow - Lioneye's Glare 6L / Voltaxic Rift 6L
Quiver - Blackgleam / Crit Multiplier WED Quiver

=====RINGS=====
78 All (Purity + Tree + Lori's)

52 Cold (Ring)
40 Lightning (Shavs)
76 Chaos (Ring + Lori's + Tree)
===============

Flask - Granite + Quicksilver + Ruby + 2x Hallowed Mana

CI Version
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAVysHY-aBEVC71jvh4vdtGacrLR_B80yzoqNQMH_G217Bxevk7Bgsv18qfM6P-sNthq50VV762-cV1wD9_KtHBteGFLDC7F9qVmM6MKyY8uG0xTlS99djQwW1Kwq8N5uh44SxMI2_wQBObWe90NDAUYhrhs5RR9saWAfub49GcNUZ17b3d9Q-zzB8MwwdFHBSmZoRL_lWveZ_K2_y_iv60utjd9cx-jnUGdVmnvfBdEF29yF2oJ__3hZAcU0UdcqphX2azw6tQ2MppbcxWPWdxBB79Uu-OnNTwFQ=
Shavronne's Version
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAVysHY-aBEVC71jvh4vdtGacrLR_B80yzoqPxdlAwf8YPxNtewcXcx-vk7Bg7fF8qfM6P-sNtWqZ0VV762-e4ygD9_KtHBhSwwuxfajowrJjy4bTFOVL312NDBbUrCrw3m6HjhAzysTCNv8EATm1nvdDQwFGIa6XLhs5RR9saWAfub49G8-oZ17b3d9Q-zzB8MwwQex0UcFKZmhEv-Va95n8rb_L-K_VL-tLrY3fXMfo51BnVvjpmnvfBdEF29yF2oJ__3hZAcU0UdcqphX2azw6tQ2MppbcxWPWdxA==

Helm
B Frost Wall
B Conversion Trap
G Blood Rage
R Increased Duration

Gloves
B Increased Area of Effect
B Critical Weakness
G Projectile Weakness
B Enfeeble

The Blood Dance
G Grace
G Detonate Dead
R Enduring Cry / Determination with Shavronnes
R Reduced Mana

Rainbowstride (Levelling Gear: 53 until ZO)
B - Clarity
B - Discipline
B - Wrath
R - Reduced Mana

Chest - Cheap 5L Until 6L
B Purity
B Discipline
B Wrath
R Anger
R Reduced Mana

ES Chest 6L
B Wrath
B Discipline
B Purity
B Clarity - MAXED
R Anger
R Reduced Mana

The Blood Dance (If shavs)
G Haste
G Grace
R Reduced Mana
R Blood Magic

Bow
G Lightning Arrow
G LMP
G MLeech / FA
R LLeech
R WED
B PCoC

Last edited by Xendran on Sep 20, 2013, 9:36:29 PM
You've fallen into a giant misconception that 90% of LA users fall into. LA does a lot of lighntning damage, but this is because it converts a large portion of your physical damage to lightning. Voltaxic has horrid physical damage, meaning you get much less lightning damage done as a result. This is why its good to use a Lioneye's Glare with LA. Instead of using LA, I'd recommend an elemental Split Arrow build. THis build would work more closely to a ranged ele cleave build, where physical damage is nearly useless, making this bow godly for you. That would be my 2 cents. Also note that you need to make 0 changes to your skill tree for this change.
Last edited by Justy on Aug 24, 2013, 12:05:19 AM
"
Justy wrote:
You've fallen into a giant misconception that 90% of LA users fall into. LA does a lot of lighntning damage, but this is because it converts a large portion of your physical damage to lightning. Voltaxic has horrid physical damage, meaning you get much less lightning damage done as a result. This is why its good to use a Lioneye's Glare with LA. Instead of using LA, I'd recommend an elemental Split Arrow build. THis build would work more closely to a ranged ele cleave build, where physical damage is nearly useless, making this bow godly for you. That would be my 2 cents. Also note that you need to make 0 changes to your skill tree for this change.

Except Voltaxic already has that damage converted for you.
It can reach very high dps, the majority of it being lightning, and half of the small physical being converted to lightning as well.

You also failed to take into consideration that with a lioneye, you'd be running with half lightning and half fire dps if using blackgleam, or severely hurting your elemental damage modifiers and opening yourself up to physical reflect if running something without converting that other 50% of your physical. With this bow you can roll with a +70% Crit Multiplier quiver. Combined with the 90+70 in the tree and critical weakness, your multiplier borders on 900% (880ish), and your crit chance is pretty decent at around 23% (which combined with the huge IAS boost from blood rage will net you a lot of crits per second).

You also failed to take into consideration that because of how much of the dps is raw lightning instead of being split between elements, that shock stacks last longer and are capable of shocking enemies that have higher HP.

You also didn't take into consideration the 10% shock chance on the bow, which is nuts when stacked with Static blows and crit + crit multiplier.

Also, you completely ignored the whole reflect thing. You can't just drop vaal pact with a lightning arrow build this potent with such a huge crit multiplier running such powerful curses.

Being able to drop it safely is where you're getting the points to get that 60% armor, the ES from body and soul, the 8% resists and ZO.

Also, because you can't drop vaal pact with other bows with this much damage potential, that makes this bow the only one able to safely run low life blood rage. 54% Increased Attack Speed on blood rage vs none at all.

If you try this build with a different bow and an identical setup, you WILL kill yourself to reflect because of the ability to hit as many targets as are in the line of sight of your 3 arrows, then +3 targets, then 30+ more damage from projectile weakness, and the potential to crit for nearly 9x damage, and your shock stacks.

This bow does 295.43 raw Lightning (chaos) dps at perfect rolls 20% quality with half phys converted to lightning via lightning arrow.

Lioneye's Glare gets around the 300 range in physical dps, only half of which is converted to lightning.

Unless you think that my 30% increased physical damage with bows + lioneye is better than 54% increased attack speed + 10% shock + longer shocks + ability to shock stronger mobs + reflect immunity + 5-6% ES regen per second + 60% extra armour + 46% ES.

All that would be gone because of being forced to take vaal pact.

I've been using lightning arrow builds for over a year. I know how to build them.
If I was falling into the misconceptions that 90% of LA users had, you would see a chain gem in here, despite the fact that chain is terrible.
Last edited by Xendran on Aug 24, 2013, 12:56:09 AM
I'm pretty sure with the lightning converted to chaos you'll be ok against reflect. If you aren't you aren't getting enough defense. Lets compare Lioneye's to Voltaxic. A good Lioneyes gives you over 260 top end without quality compared to 70ish from Voltaxic. Your phys damage will be so low with your build that LA does next to nothing for you. Switching to split arrow also frees up your LMP socket for something else. The way I see it is that if you're gonna kill yourself to reflect with split arrow, you probably will kill yourself with reflect with LA as well. Split arrow will provide slightly more damage as your lightning damage will still be roughly the same.

"
You also failed to take into consideration that because of how much of the dps is raw lightning instead of being split between elements

Why do you think you have so much more lightning damage? LA only converts your physical. With Voltaxic, your physical is nearly disregarded.

"
If you try this build with a different bow and an identical setup, you WILL kill yourself to reflect

I never said you should use lioneyes. I was simply using it as an example to show you why LA users need the physical. I'm only arguing that you use SA vs LA.
"
Justy wrote:
I'm pretty sure with the lightning converted to chaos you'll be ok against reflect. If you aren't you aren't getting enough defense.

You didn't even look at the build, did you. There is more than enough defensive power, if you couldn't tell by the fact that it has 6% regen and ghost reaver with a hefty chunk of ES and int.

"
Lets compare Lioneye's to Voltaxic. A good Lioneyes gives you over 260 top end without quality compared to 70ish from Voltaxic. Your phys damage will be so low with your build that LA does next to nothing for you.

This bow already has the raw lightning damage you need, some fake DPS display showing higher dps on split arrow is a lie compared to LA's effective dps. The reason you use LA with this is because of the GIANT number of hits it produces. I have no idea how you think split arrow is going to come anywhere remotely close to LA + LMP + 100% piercing. The number of hits on this is immense, crits tear through groups because it hits everything in close proximity a LOT of times. It also has shock duration.
When you crit, you crit everything a fuckton of times, while also triple shock stacking them all (but you also don't need to crit to triple shock stack an entire group).

"
Switching to split arrow also frees up your LMP socket for something else. The way I see it is that if you're gonna kill yourself to reflect with split arrow, you probably will kill yourself with reflect with LA as well. Split arrow will provide slightly more damage as your lightning damage will still be roughly the same.

Except split arrow isn't hitting anywhere near as many times or targets.
The reflect thing was from when you were talking about other bows. This build doesn't work with other bows.

With split arrow if i have a pack of 10 enemies in close proximity, firing a split arrow into the pack will nowhere near as many times.

If i fire an LMP lightning arrow, the LMP will cause it to pierce almost every target, while also activating the LA splash. It also means that enemies in the front will be hit with shock stacks, unlike split arrow.

When you pierce the first enemy, if it gets shocked, it will get hit by the splash from the enemies that get hit after it while under shock.

If you wanted to get shock stacks going like that with split arrow you'd have to use proliferation, and you'd still not get anywhere near the effectiveness. You also have to hit every enemy with split arrow, unlike LA which will take care of that for you with the splash.

Also, remember that crits are rolled per attack, not per projectile or hit.
When you get an LA crit, every single one of those hits and splashes is going to be a crit, and the multiplier in this build with crit weakness and a 70% crit quiver is nearly 900%.

So you have a very large number of hits of nearly 900% damage on all the targets, which is then multiplied by 2.2 from fully shock stacking every target, as well as projectile weakness which is over 30% more projectile damage, which also applies to every single hit, and you don't need to worry about connecting projectiles on every single enemy.

With this build lightning arrow could offer absolutely no conversion and i'd still use it.
Besides, LA still has projectile damage which is a nice bonus multiplier, especially since i only have 24% from the tree.
Last edited by Xendran on Aug 24, 2013, 2:33:32 AM
Oh, and not only this, but Split Arrow's level up bonus is phsyical damage. Only physical damage.
LA has a projectile damage bonus, so you're benefiting from that.
No point to use split arrow here, LA will work out a lot better.
Old april 2012 account got stolen
does LA really apply it's secondary AoE effect to all targets it hits through Pierce? I remember reading that Fireball for example only applies it's impact AoE only on the last target (or was it the first?) it hits, no matter through how many targets it actually pierces.
ign: PhrozenFlame
"
cocomoloco wrote:
does LA really apply it's secondary AoE effect to all targets it hits through Pierce?

Yes, and it always has. This is why i've been using Piercing LMP LA builds since before chain was around, and haven't switched to chian. I tried out chain quite a ew times and it was horrible in comparison.

Chain deals less damage while being significantly more vulnerable to lightning thorns.
If you don't curse an enemy with a peircing setup, your arrows only have 35% piercfe instead of 100%, and they don't get their evasion reduced. This means lightning thorns from offscreen isn't too big of a deal, considering you have 5-6% regen + leech.
Last edited by Xendran on Aug 24, 2013, 2:32:28 PM
am working on something similar with SA, but am now considering switching to LA...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info