Plot inconsistency with Helena dialogue

This thread is very interesting. Please, go on, gentlemen.
ingame: FeelLuckyPunk standard
"
"
Thristian wrote:
"
But this is something a lot of players don't realise (I didn't until Chris told me directly): the Ancient Pyramid does not open into Sarn normally. That rumbling after you kill the Oversoul? That's not (as I assumed) just the effect of the Oversoul's demise, it's the pyramid rising up.

Honestly, I didn't consider that because it makes no sense.

Is it that the entire pyramid raises itself upward? Not only would that disconnect it from the Waterfall Cave, that sucker's gotta be a hundred metres or so on a side at the base, so we're talking about raising 10,000 square metres of ground... that would take a *lot* of effort, and disturb a *lot* more ground than the little bit we see in City of Sarn, so maybe it's just the Oversoul Chamber that lifts up.

Even so, *why* would the Vaal build their pyramid to raise up any portion once the Oversoul is destroyed? I'm assuming that, like most artifacts of ancient civilisations, it wasn't *built* underground, just covered up over time (although, the base of it is now in a cave...). It wouldn't have been designed to breach the ground and let people out, it would have been designed to rise from, say, 75 metres above ground to 85 or something like that.

The only thing I can think of (and I'm kind of grasping here) is that the Vaal Pyramid has some kind of self-repair mechanism; when you kill the Oversoul the pyramid decides it's too damaged to sit around and tries to deploy solar-panels to recharge or something... and gets stuck, because it's now underground.

That still doesn't explain the little round door in the Oversoul Chamber, of course...

"
Yay for retconning pre-release!

We can but hope. :D

All good points. I have a feeling the devs got fixated on the basic idea of 'hey, wouldn't it be cool if the pyramid came out of the ground?!' and then sort of forgot to justify any of it.

One thing they did get right was the fact that no one else needed to use this method to get to Sarn from the Phrecian Forest. The Emperor's Road is meant to continue past the Broken Bridge and up the cliffs.

Act 2's a mess, really.

Wait, broken bridge, at the far eastern end, links to sarn, when you go through a pyramid in the north western area?

How, is it a magic bridge of magic?
The city of Sarn rests atop a great rupture in the earth, overlooking the Phrecian Forest. The Emperor's Road winds around the side to bypass the cliff. The far side of the broken bridge is quite far from Sarn.

The ancient Vaal pyramid does burrow upwards in its entirety, meaning it no longer connects to the cave system below. The massive amount of earth displaced by the pyramid's ascent fell into the space below it.

However, this is not shown for gameplay reasons (so you can replay those levels with a friend, for example). Similarly, quest bosses will respawn in their respective areas even though they are canonically dead.

Code warrior
This is why we need an old school full color manual full of all kinds of lore and other goodies. Hop to it.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
"
Rhys wrote:
The city of Sarn rests atop a great rupture in the earth, overlooking the Phrecian Forest. The Emperor's Road winds around the side to bypass the cliff. The far side of the broken bridge is quite far from Sarn.

The ancient Vaal pyramid does burrow upwards in its entirety, meaning it no longer connects to the cave system below. The massive amount of earth displaced by the pyramid's ascent fell into the space below it.

However, this is not shown for gameplay reasons (so you can replay those levels with a friend, for example). Similarly, quest bosses will respawn in their respective areas even though they are canonically dead.

Ah, so the broken bridge actually winds along and goes quite out of the way before ceoming back to Sarn.

Perhaps one of the instances in second part of act 3 could have the other side where the road comes in for canonical sake?
"
"
Real_Wolf wrote:

Perhaps one of the instances in second part of act 3 could have the other side where the road comes in for canonical sake?

precisely my suggestion. You'd think a road that significant would be visible once you reach the City of Sarn.

I wonder where it actually connects to the City of Sarn. Looking at the picture of it http://www.pathofexile.com/areas, I would guess it links to warehouses which is weird
"
Rhys wrote:

This still doesn't quite work, because how would the massive amount of earth get from "above the pyramid" to "below the pyramid"? Either it goes through the solid matter of the pyramid (unlikely), or it goes around the pyramid (which would imply passing through the rest of the solid rock the pyramid is buried under), or it gets teleported (also unlikely).

Thanks for dropping by to give us some Word of God, though. I hope GGG enjoys reading fan theories about lore as much as we enjoy coming up with them. :)
"
"
This is why we need an old school full color manual full of all kinds of lore and other goodies. Hop to it.

I reckon it'd cost more than a Ruler pack to fund that.

What if they printed one up and sold it through the site? I'd pay a pretty penny for it. Definitely.

Yeah, that is mostly what I meant. I would buy it.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
It makes for a really awesome scenario but it really isn´t communicated at all. Maybe add a bosstaunt/intro that suggests that using the amulett not only summons the boss but also raises the Pyramid?

Also, just for consistency there should be a landconection to Sarn. How did Piety get there?
"
But this is something a lot of players don't realise (I didn't until Chris told me directly): the Ancient Pyramid does not open into Sarn normally. That rumbling after you kill the Oversoul? That's not (as I assumed) just the effect of the Oversoul's demise, it's the pyramid rising up.

I'm genuinely not sure if there are any indications in-game of this being the case. But it relates to what you said regarding the altar: Piety clearly doesn't have the Apex, so she would not know how to activate the altar, deal with the oversoul and cause the pyramid to rise.

When you leave the pyramid for the first time you'll see it still rising behind your character before stopping with a lot of dust and debris blowing everywhere.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info