Trade in PoE is not good and takes away from immersion

"
Cyzax wrote:
"
There are other options, the first and most obvious being just...not doing that. Letting trade make the game easy for people.

Except... GGG has quite clearly said that trade should never be a mandatory part of the game. It would be with an auction house.

D3 made that clear enough. Then they realised their mistake in putting it in, and removed trading...

If it wasn't for softcore trade POE would have completely died out years ago so the sooner they get over themselves the better its gonna be for all of us. Make trading suck less.
"
Cyzax wrote:
But that won't be how it will be.
Sure, I wasn't making a prediction. The most likely outcome regarding literally any suggestion ever made on the forum is that it doesn't get implemented, that's no surprise to anyone. I was saying that there are other choices.

The other choices probably don't make them as much money, I agree. But I don't find there to be any value in worrying about the finances of a corporation worth half a trillion dollars. They could do it, if they wanted to.
They wanted to include potential for PVP in the trading but couldn't figure out how to do it and retain customers so they didn't.
IGN : Reamus
Honestly their is no downside to changing the trade site to an ingame auction house.

Bots will infest it like it is now but people can actually get their items. So better than what we have now.

Players will interact the same amount, most people don't even say ty.

The market prices will change slightly faster since people can't really pull their items off the auction house or not sell. Some people might lose currency, but who cares.

Less reliance on 3rd party software to list stuff. It could all be made by GGG so no data issues or brand damage.

The china server has had a very limited ingame tradehouse for years, same with console. It didn't break nothing.

that trade manifesto is so outdated it isn't even funny.
"
roundishcap wrote:
Honestly their is no downside to changing the trade site to an ingame auction house.

It is described in trade manifesto.
Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
"
roundishcap wrote:

Spoiler
"
Consequences of Easy Trade

So given that we love trade and feel it is critical to Path of Exile's formula, why is there so much debate around trade in this game? Most of it stems around whether trade should be easy or not. While easy trade sounds great on paper, there are some important considerations!

Easy trade reduces the number of times a character improves their items.
People who are heavily engaged in trade perform fewer item upgrades to achieve their final build. They get there in fewer steps, because they can easily buy items that are close to what they need. Simply put, their character progression is more about trading than it is about getting items from monsters. We believe that it is more fun to slowly and iteratively upgrade a character over time and to have a longer journey to gear a character up. Knowing that a monster could drop something that improves your character is a great motivator for playing one more level!

Easy trade means reducing drop rates
Compare two hypothetical games. In the first game, trade is very difficult. The majority of items that can't be used by your character are not traded to other people. In the second game, trade is very easy. Many of the items that you can't use are traded to other people for items that you can. In the second game, because of trade, you have a much higher acquisition rate of useful items. While that sounds great if you want instant gratification, in reality it means that the second game either receives reduced drop rates relative to the first, or ends up being a whole lot easier and less challenging to achieve goals in.

Easy trade would make the disparity between different players too great
Both of the above points are even worse when you consider that the level of engagement with trade varies substantially from player to player. Most players who play Path of Exile never trade. Out of the players who do trade, most only complete a few trades in a league. The subset of players who regularly trade strongly overlaps with our core reddit and forum communities. Chances are, if you're reading this, then you're one of the top 10% of players in terms of engagement with advanced systems. The difference in magnitude of trading (and hence item acquisition and progress) between non/low-traders and heavy traders is gigantic. While a regular player would be lucky to accumulate a small handful of Exalted Orbs in a league, a trader might reach hundreds in the same timeframe. This enables them to fully-gear Shaper-capable characters while the non-trader is still in mid-tier maps or lower.

The significant differences in character power and player progression caused by trade has already created a situation where Path of Exile is very hard for some players and quite easy for others. Some people never stand a chance of seeing some of the Atlas of Worlds content, while others can rather quickly defeat it and are looking for new challenges. We're tentatively okay with the degree to which this occurs currently, but it would be much worse if trading were made substantially easier.

Easy trade allows for greater abuse by automation
Another topic is automation. While we work hard to stamp out bots and abusive behaviour, it would be hard to completely eliminate the damage caused by a few trade bots with access to a fast trade system. If they have the ability to search out and buy items without having to talk to another player, then there would be some very large-scale economic consequences that would not be good for regular players.

"There is no war in Ba Sing Se"
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
Last edited by ArtCrusade on Apr 27, 2024, 8:18:46 PM
"
roundishcap wrote:

Bots will infest it like it is now but people can actually get their items. So better than what we have now.

Players will interact the same amount, most people don't even say ty.

The market prices will change slightly faster since people can't really pull their items off the auction house or not sell. Some people might lose currency, but who cares.

Less reliance on 3rd party software to list stuff. It could all be made by GGG so no data issues or brand damage.

The china server has had a very limited ingame tradehouse for years, same with console. It didn't break nothing.

that trade manifesto is so outdated it isn't even funny.

Man, this post is incredible.

How do so many people fail to realize that an instant buyout one click trade system is ONLY good for large organized groups? That it instantly means every single item of even moderate rarity is permanently pricefixed where players outside of the top 1% have no possible chance of obtaining them and those who can are going to pay FAR more than they pay right now?

Please, people, I'm begging you: just use your brains for ten whole seconds here because this really isn't that complicated. If the big MF groups that everyone loves to complain about decided they wanted to buy every single Enlighten gem on the market and relist them at triple the price: how could you possibly stop them? Nobody would even know the buyout was happening until it was too late, because this would be over in SECONDS. Now repeat that for another group with Watchers Eyes, and another for Magebloods, and another for Precursor rings, etc for every single decent item in the game which cannot be deterministically self-farmed.

The inconvenience of manual trade is the only thing stopping this from happening, because it makes such buyouts nearly impossible: every single trade now takes far longer, and many won't reply immediately, and at any given point 2/3 of your suppliers are offline. This gives the market time to react and adjust.

That's why it's so confusing to me when I see posts like this coming from people who are casuals and casual advocates. Because I get why Havoc would want this. I get why Empy would want this. I get why the core of TFT would want this. But you guys? You're the people the current trade system exists specifically to protect.
At the very least, we need automated trade for bulk items. Currencies, scarabs, etc.

We already have TFT as a way of doing this, but I want an automated option so we don't have to rely on a third party.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
guild wars 2 has a good auction house system.
If you want innovation in trading you have to look at Torchlight Infinite or Last Epoch.
Pour one out for my Syndicate homies.

Complex PoE mechanics are getting Diablofied.

GGG: What's better than stable income? Random income of course.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info