Anyone else love d4 story but find the combat and looting to be completely unenjoyable?

"
tsunamikun wrote:

Strange, I buy games because i want to have fun, but good to know there are people who (don't)buy them to feel morally superior.
Technically Supbar games were released a long time ago too. Back then there was no online community to flame about as well as games that are codebase wise not even a promile at the size of todays standard games. and patches? lol.
Also you played frostpunk? that was a bugfest too, but maybe not enough to trigger your feelings ;)

I didn't play nor buy Frostpunk. I actually never heard of the game until now.

"
tsunamikun wrote:

And baldurs gate 2 was a snorefest anyway with one of the worst stories in rpgs. Its overhyped because people feel "cool" having played it as kids. Thanks to larian we may get a decent RPG this time around, the round based combat fits dnd games better anyway as the source (you know, the pen and paper thing) is turnbased too.

Baldur's Gate defining gameplay is real-time-with-pause and NOT turn based. When I see Larian's upcoming game, I see divinity original sin in a clown forgotten realms setting. Also positioning of party members, attack strategy and timing what to cast makes Baldur's Gate very enjoying to play. Turn-based takes way too long and the resulting combat looks boring. If I want to play turn based, I'd rather play a tabletop game with people.

"
tsunamikun wrote:

Starfield? That will, as any bethseda game, be a boring bugfest without any real content with its combat base in Fallout4. But you skipped witcher2 because the focus was on consoles?

I said I might buy Starfield not that I will.

Witcher 2 controls for PC were not optimized resulting in subpar gameplay. It also contains quicktime events which are a direct product of consoles and have no place in a pc game.

"
tsunamikun wrote:

You could tell from the beta how looting would be? the first act with a level cap we showed nothing about item tiers or uniques because they couldn't drop? I imagine you would know how loot works in POE too from the first act. Wow, it seems you are clairvoyant.

Also, I already played 70 hours and the game is still fun, even with its problems.
If I stop in one or weeks or may friends stop it may be different, but it will hold until then. It seems my money was well invested.

I could tell POE's loot system before I even played it because it was summarized at the website showcasing a complete brand new system which would result in an everlasting grind.

Not only did I play Diablo 4 beta and server slam, I also watched videos of ex-Diablo 2 players dissecting the loot system.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
hoho
bruh what bruh bro bro bruh what
"
The story stuff was pretty dire everywhere that the big bads were involved. I guess you could say it's good for Diablo, but that's not really a compliment. Writing in that main quest was mostly fine, but jesus christ,
Spoiler
the main character does this speech after killing Lilith like "they call me hero, but I'm just a person like anyone else, powerful yes, but flawed" and it felt like something a car salesman would write. What a way to end your game.

Lots of the smaller pieces were handled well though, largest of which was probably the Neyrelle arc (other than the silly ending). Act 5 stuff was good, liked the witch and the dreamsnake. Lots of ultracheese in sidequests but quite a few good quality bitesize tidbits sprinkled throughout.

But overall if they wouldn't have got Ralph Ineson on Lorath I think it would have been hard to swallow.

100% worst lines in the game. Was like...oh, that is committee interference or something. After how tonally poignant even a minor NPC's dialogue was in terms of life in Estuar/Sanctuary, that shit came off like a terrible "we can all be heroes, but no one's perfect" quip which just doesn't land after the sheer amount of supherheroic bullshit you've oulled while most people are counting their warts or lamenting their parenthood.

Spoiler
the best line came not long after or before that: Neyrelle asking if it gets any better, and the hero replying it can with good allies...that is the absolute core of Diablo IV's message and I really liked the honest simplicity of how it was delivered.

I dunno. I liked Lilith and co. She was immediately sympathetic, didn't speechify all that much and her actions made sense. Daddy Eggroll not so much but that also fits Angels in the Diablo mythos. Like Loralph says, being imprisoned in Hell for a few hundred years turns you into an arse.

But both of them were just frames for the real story of the humans, and I liked that too.

More examples of good writing/scripting:

Spoiler
Elias pulling a phylactery lich trick BEFORE summoning Lilith was clever and shows he never truly knew what to make of her. It also added context to how cocky he was in the opening FMV and scenes throughout the game.

Spoiler
The fact that I was using Vigo's amazing skill all through act VI gutted me hard. What a brilliant way to remind players of his sacrifice and what a monster Prava really is.

Spoiler
Neyrelle was Next Generation done right imo. She wasn't annoying. Her motivations were clear and realistic. Her saying she was trying not to hate the hero after putting down Vhenard was when I really keyed into how careful the writers were being with her as a younger, more volatile character. And Lorath warming up to her worked for me. Even when he did what he had to do with virtually no hesitation.

Spoiler
Last example of great writing: Lorath calls Lilith two names when you first meet him. Mother of Sanctuary. Daughter of Hatred. These are also the names of her two phases in the final fight. There is a structural integrity to DIV's writing very rarely seen in the genre.

You get Ralph Ineson when you want The VVitch's brutal but practical edge. Top casting choice. But it was Mephisto's voice that surprised me. Games very rarely double up voice actors for fairly major roles.
The name says it all.
Last edited by 鬼殺し on Jun 15, 2023, 12:09:20 AM
"
Reinhart wrote:

I didn't play nor buy Frostpunk. I actually never heard of the game until now.

My bad, read the wrong post ;)

"

Baldur's Gate defining gameplay is real-time-with-pause and NOT turn based. When I see Larian's upcoming game, I see divinity original sin in a clown forgotten realms setting. Also positioning of party members, attack strategy and timing what to cast makes Baldur's Gate very enjoying to play. Turn-based takes way too long and the resulting combat looks boring. If I want to play turn based, I'd rather play a tabletop game with people.

But baldurs gate was not defined by its gameplay. There were other games with this type of realtime combat, even following it in the same realm (nwn + its addons as well as nwn2 etc) So while you may define the essence of baldurs gate in its battle system other people do not.

"

Witcher 2 controls for PC were not optimized resulting in subpar gameplay. It also contains quicktime events which are a direct product of consoles and have no place in a pc game.

Yes the controls were clunky. same as in witcher 1. Suprise.
So all the things that were done on consoles first have no place in a pc game? [Removed by Support]

"

I could tell POE's loot system before I even played it because it was summarized at the website showcasing a complete brand new system which would result in an everlasting grind.

Not only did I play Diablo 4 beta and server slam, I also watched videos of ex-Diablo 2 players dissecting the loot system.

[Removed by Support]
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
Last edited by Whai_GGG on Jun 19, 2023, 7:00:55 AM
"
tsunamikun wrote:
[Removed by Support]

You're memeing right?

"
ekopalm wrote:
"
tsunamikun wrote:
[Removed by Support]

You're memeing right?

nope, I thought is was fine? i just pointed out that this was not in any way sufficient to know how endgame loot was going to be. just in fewer words. It seems i was too antagonistic through^^
"
tsunamikun wrote:
"
ekopalm wrote:
"
tsunamikun wrote:
[Removed by Support]

You're memeing right?

nope, I thought is was fine? i just pointed out that this was not in any way sufficient to know how endgame loot was going to be. just in fewer words. It seems i was too antagonistic through^^

Maybe you were just roleplaying as an exile and using exile language? Unlucky. I agree; you can't know the end game by level 20 in a beta. However, if it's not enjoyable at level 20, I believe it's acceptable to think it won't be good at level 50+. If I eat a hamburger and the first bite is bad, why would the second one be better?
the main point is, with level 20 you didn't unlock the crafting (as barebones at it is), you haven't seen uniques which could be buildenabling etc. Yes sure you can say, i don't like the design of drops in general, but then again, just say "I don't like it" and don't get on waxing how much you informed yourself and whatnot when its actually bullshit. Reinhard chose the second option.
"
tsunamikun wrote:
the main point is, with level 20 you didn't unlock the crafting (as barebones at it is), you haven't seen uniques which could be buildenabling etc. Yes sure you can say, i don't like the design of drops in general, but then again, just say "I don't like it" and don't get on waxing how much you informed yourself and whatnot when its actually bullshit. Reinhard chose the second option.

I can understand that argument as well. I tried to go back and finish some side quests in D4, but I just can't seem to get past the combat being so boring. No matter how I look at it, I can't seem to enjoy it. However, now that I've had some time to think about it. It's a good game with boring combat for me. I don't think it's worth 80 bucks, and I don't care for future content if combat is going to be this way. I actually suspect that many people will get a hundred or more hours in preseason and then, after one season, be bored as well.
"
ekopalm wrote:

I can understand that argument as well. I tried to go back and finish some side quests in D4, but I just can't seem to get past the combat being so boring. No matter how I look at it, I can't seem to enjoy it. However, now that I've had some time to think about it. It's a good game with boring combat for me. I don't think it's worth 80 bucks, and I don't care for future content if combat is going to be this way. I actually suspect that many people will get a hundred or more hours in preseason and then, after one season, be bored as well.

Yes absolutely, I already listed my peeves with the game a little bit earlier. While i do like the combat being a little bit tactical, now as i breached lvl 80 and doing lvl 100 content without difficulty on my rogue it has devolved in on-two shotting packs and holding down the right mousebutton to kill bosses while ignoring their mechanics

without a massive revamp this game is dead. Its not even about the combat but the (missing) content. Still it was worth the 80 euros at least in time investment (and of course the chance to play with people who normally don't play anything anymore)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info