PSA -- Simple fact update: Tencent don't own ~85% of GGG. They currently own 93.33%.

I've heard of tencent but not sure what they do. They own/run a lot of p2w microtransaction style/mobile games?
Doesn't really bother me as long as GGG is still in control of the game. And since the game has not turned into a another p2w Asian mobile-like game to cater to bigger audiences, I'd say GGG is still very much in control.
So it's a matter of time until PoE turns into a gacha game.

hoho
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].
Any simple facts on Wolcen?
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Tbf though I probably read and enjoy niche books from the same publisher as YA pulp that sells by the million. One doesn't directly support the other but they are part of the same overall structure. I can personally dislike the pulp but it is in my own best interest to see it succeed.

Or even that you enjoy games by FromSoftware who Tencent also have a stake in via Sixjoy.

Oh absolutely. Tencent has fingers in all the pies. Stakes don't really bother me. Ownership (i.e. controlling stakes) will affect my decisions though. I quit Warframe for a number of reasons but not enjoying it immensely was not one of them. Then Tencent bought 100% of the Chinese chicken company that already owned most of Digital Extreme and that made not returning to Space Mom much easier.

But fingers in the pie? Meh. That's just business. Tencent has a sizeable digit in Last Epoch's pie now too. Probably important to note that Tencent never had a finger in GGG's pie. Went from zero to 85%ish in one move. I am sure it was anything but sudden BTS but to players it was pretty abrupt.

Anyway yeah. Very few well-known companies are owner/operator. They're kinda unicorns these days. But I do see an important distinction between "minority shareholding" for the dividends and "controlling stakes" -- also usually just for the dividends (same page I sourced records how much GGG pays out to Tencent a year -- not exactly chump change) but technically a lot more potentially influential than that. :)

The name says it all.
Last edited by 鬼殺し on May 4, 2023, 9:17:10 PM
"
hulduet wrote:
I've heard of tencent but not sure what they do. They own/run a lot of p2w microtransaction style/mobile games?

Tencent is a major chinese media company that are known to have very strong connections to the Chinese goverment, and yes, tend towards pay 2 win style mechanics, both in the moble version (vieled pay to play) and loot box versions. Geneerally they're not much worse than american versions, in that its money they're after and have a track record of not caring if they have to burn down the house to get it.
"
YourFather wrote:
Any simple facts on Wolcen?

Certainly, but this is off topic and derailing so consider this a one-off courtesy.

Woxlcen Studio is fully owned by Gaijin, a Russian-founded company known for War Thunder. Currently based in Budapest, Hungary.I am willing to bet they got Wolcen for fucking peanuts and still regret it.

There is a thread in off topic about other ARPGs if you want further info about games unrelated to this thread. :)
The name says it all.
Last edited by 鬼殺し on May 4, 2023, 11:35:39 PM
TenCent is a huge Chinese game and social media company that includes WeChat.

Wiki has a long list of TenCent's holdings. GGG is just one of very many games that TenCent holds interest in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I am willing to bet they got Wolcen for fucking peanuts and still regret it.

Ha!
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Who cares?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info