Diablo 4 announces that there will be a campaign skip ... its time for POE to do the same

It's strange seeing how defensive some people are against adding some more engaging alternatives for the campaign. I myself hate when game developers casualize their games to cater to bigger audiences, but in this case the campaign is basically a 'tutorial' which most of the veterans try to speedrun to get to the 'actual game'.
"
Khallis wrote:

well then here is a thought i know its hard for the "POE fanboy elites" to come up with solutions but

but no one is saying you CAN'T keep doing the campaign, no one is saying that the campaign should be removed. I just want OPTIONS, why is this so hard to comprehend.

diablo 3 you still have the option to play through the campaign, that option never goes away.

as for ruthless ... different rule set
ladders - simple characters eligible need to complete the campaign (and most reasonable people here said that they would be fine if the first character of a new season went through the campaign so that takes care of the ladder characters)

So you want it in softcore league because in hardcore/ruthless it would be pretty unfair.

Also the true alternative will be POE 2 campaign. Alternatives like Endless Delve or Endless Heist are less interesting to play through than a full fledged campaign. If players get bored of the campaign, they will much quicker get bored of the alternative mechanic. Also GGG will make sure that it will take longer for players to go through the alternative mechanic if they choose not to play the campaign.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
"
Phrazz wrote:

But this advertisement critique? Seems a little bit as a strawman to me. All games want to grow - and reach as many players as they can within their visions for the game. Just because they want to make a complex, hardcore game at its core, doesn't really mean that casual players can't find some fun here? It doesn't really mean they should stop advertising?

It's not a strawman it's the truth.

PoE isn't designed with a casual player in mind, so why market to them? (beyond the obvious money answer)

If we agree that D4 and PoE are different games for example, appealing to different players, then doesn't it stand to reason that trying to appeal to the segments opposite the development strategy is counter-intuitive? Those players inherently will have either complaints, or won't continue on. What exactly is the upside here?

Anyways it's just my opinion. When they started with the millions of dollars in Twitch sponsorships, advertising embargoes with major game site publishers, had the debacle with the streamer priority queue, and so on, they literally created a problem that hadn't existed before. The causal vs elite player gulf that's is so prevalent now, was manifested by GGG's own actions.

So should they stop advertising or attempting to grow? Of course not. They are just not doing it well or wisely. Hell the new player experience isnt even remotely in tune with a growth strategy, if that's a focus point for them.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
PoE isn't designed with a casual player in mind, so why market to them?

Again: Where and when are they marketing to them specifically?

And of course PoE is designed with casuals in mind. Sure, the endgame and all that comes with isn't designed for them, but to 'most'(?) casual players, a grindy endgame isn't really the goal anyhow. But to a casual? Hell, just the acts could provide them with 20+ hours of enjoyment, depending on the type of casual player you are.

I really dislike this "if a casual player can't do everything within X weeks, the game isn't designed for them" attitude. Sure, the weight is a little bitt off these days with how much it requires to do certain things, but just because the endgame is designed for more dedicated player, it doesn't mean that there isn't 'any game' left for casuals. Hell, I've had people in our guild that are still mainly playing the acts after several years, and I've had people reaching 40/40 in their first league. These labels aren't helping anyone.

Anyhow, we all know a casual can turn "casual+" after trying PoE. There's some labels for you.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on May 1, 2023, 11:09:05 AM
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
PoE isn't designed with a casual player in mind, so why market to them?

Again: Where and when are they marketing to them specifically?

And of course PoE is designed with casuals in mind. Sure, the endgame and all that comes with isn't designed for them, but to 'most'(?) casual players, a grindy endgame isn't really the goal anyhow. But to a casual? Hell, just the acts could provide them with 20+ hours of enjoyment, depending on the type of casual player you are.

I really dislike this "if a casual player can't do everything within X weeks, the game isn't designed for them" attitude. Sure, the weight is a little bitt off these days with how much it requires to do certain things, but just because the endgame is designed for more dedicated player, it doesn't mean that there isn't 'any game' left for casuals. Hell, I've had people in our guild that are still mainly playing the acts after several years, and I've had people reaching 40/40 in their first league. These labels aren't helping anyone.

Anyhow, we all know a casual can turn "casual+" after trying PoE. There's some labels for you.

I don't think lables matter much other than to assist in explaining player behavior. Obviously there is nuance and not everyone fits in a box.

To me, one of the biggest changes, was the significant amounts of Twitch sponship money, and the audiences they are targeting with more popular variety streamers. That brings in more people, which is good for business, but bad for how PoE is desgined.

And I completely disagree with any notion of PoE being new player or causal friendly in any aspect. It just isn't. Not even from a basic time investment standpoint that resets every 90 days, with significant mechanic and skill changes. It's fucking way over the top. I think you are minimizing it too much because we have both been in it for a decade. That's not fair to what most people experience with PoE.

But we can agree to disagree here. Some of what I'm saying is subjective, and of course there will be new players that eventually turn into no-lifers. I'm just talking about general player figures.

For example, they set a player concurrency record this legaue. I guess we will see how that plays out. Whether those figures represent invested folks, or just causals being exposed to a game while waiting for D4 and the interest the D4 beta brought. I suspect it's the latter but we will know soon. Nothing else would have lead me, or anyone else, to imagine Crucible would be their largest legaue ever.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 1, 2023, 11:36:02 AM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
To me, one of the biggest changes, was the significant amounts of Twitch sponship money, and the audiences they are targeting with more popular variety streamers. That brings in more people, which is good for business, but bad for how PoE is desgined

I don't get this. PoE is a product. They have to market it somehow. And between casuals, hardcore players, no-lifers and other labels, there are plenty of potential costumers watching Twitch. Gamers. And no matter what PoE is or isn't, a new player testing it out isn't a bad thing?

"
And I completely disagree with any notion of PoE being new player or causal friendly in any aspect.

I feel like I've said the following sentence to you several times: It's a good thing then, that I didn't express that notion - at all. I agree, PoE isn't very new player friendly - and they should improve upon that. What I said, was that there are many hours of fun to be had to new players - depending on the player. And I backed it up with first (second?) hand experiences. I've guided people through. I've had people in the guild/Discord doing it on their own. There ARE new players enjoying PoE, but apparently, it's not allowed for GGG to find these players, unless they're marketing in the EVE Online sub-forums? And when they come, it's because of D4?

We won't know shit about how many of the new players that came in this league will keep playing. The only thing we know, is that D4 will fuck up the numbers drastically.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on May 1, 2023, 12:05:12 PM
"
Phrazz wrote:
And when they come, it's because of D4?

Any other explanation on shattering their concurrency record by well over 20% with Crucible? Id love to hear this.

- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 1, 2023, 12:12:21 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Any other explanation on shattering their concurrency record by well over 20% with Crucible? Id love to hear this.

Surprising you chose to reply to that sentence... But no, and neither do you. What you have, is speculation, not an explanation. You may be right, you may be wrong, but there's nothing I can say here, you'll still be convinced it's the only plausible reason.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

There isn't any obvious one, other than D4. They haven't done any other marketing, as far as i'm aware of, than the usual.

Regardless, time will tell. By most accounts, Crucible has it's fair share of complaints and is dropping as fast as Sanctum's percentages. Next league we'll see if it was indeed D4 that helped or not if it keeps on an upward trend even with the VisionTM going on full throttle.
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].
why are there 10 pages of this thread? it's not even debatable after completing the acts once per league we should unlock an option to skip the campaign by being able to make a lvl 68 character with 3 labs completed don't even reply to me saying it's somehow bad because i will ignore you there's no arguing the acts are a waste of time past the first time
Last edited by CAPSLOCK_ON on May 1, 2023, 1:13:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info