widescreen resolution removed from the game.

"
ArtCrusade wrote:
"
onexxx wrote:
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
You could have responded to my argument by answering why you should you be able to see more than the average player, especially in lieu of zoom hacks being bannable. If it's okay to have an advantage through superior hardware and software, why do you think GGG has a hardline stance on your field of view?

Instead, you say the argument is invalid and move on. Not only is it lazy, it's arrogant. Not a great look, and certainly not advocating well to your proposal.

While I do understand your point about seeing more and it being an advantage, I think it's irrelevant. First because PoE is mostly a PvE non directly competitive game. So even if 32/9 gives an edge (something that is not as obvious as you suggest), it does not really matter in my opinion. It would be fine if ultrawide is just diabled in direct competitive environnement such as races/gaunlets and PvP.

Second point is that more information does not just mean useful/meaningful information. I had the opportunity to play one league with a 32/9 screen, prior to the removal of the feature(it was sentinel if I recall correctly)... And I really think that most players (myself included) have a better time in 21/9 from a sole "performance" standpoint. 32/9 gives you a lot of irrelevant effects and movements at the edge of your FOV, thus diverting you from what matters at the center of the screen. I play on two differents setup, the second one being a regular 16/9 smaller screen, and it was much easier to process what's going on because all the relevant infos/effects is at the center of the screen.

Still, it was really enjoyable just for the immersion, being surrounded by PoE feels great, even if it meant dying more. That's a trade that I'm willing to do.

Seeing things earlier was just one example of how having a bigger field of view is an obvious advantage over a regular monitor. There are many more; e.g. just the past season with the Wildwood and wisps being visible from further away.

While it is true that you fight monsters and not players in maps, an economy still pits player versus player. Running the same juiced maps but having higher wisps on average yields more drops -> that's an unfair advantage.

I just gave that one example to show how OP could win more people over to his side, but he chooses indignation over compromise.

I acknowledge that black bars aren't nice to look at and I already said that something like a Fog of War is okay as long as it doesn't give an advantage

I quite disagree on the fact that plain seeing things earlier is only an advantage, it's also distracting you from the center of the screen. Seeing wisps earlier but dying because you were looking at the edge of that big screen is in the end a loss. The way it's displayed play a part in the usefulness of that information, and it's a key part to understand why 32/9 on displays that are made for it does not provides the edge you think it gives.

On the other end, I do agree that tricks that were possible before with regular screen and window resize do give a big advantage, because you get more infos without the need to dispatch your focus on areas were you lose track of your character and what's hapenning in close range. It was like putting a fov cursor at a larger value in a FPS game, wich is a common used trick in competitive play. That trick and 32/9 ultrawide displays are two vastly different experiences, the latter being not really useful in a game like PoE where losing track of your character and health bar for half a second can lead to instant death.
"
ArtCrusade wrote:

The underlying mechanism of reductio ad absurdum is a legitimate one as long as the logical extreme stays consistent with with the proposition. I hope the irony isn't lost on you when you say I simply don't accept your arguments while you dismiss anything without engaging in a factual, serious manner. It's an ill-mannered approach to debating.

You know what I find ironic? You quote me, then respond to someone else's post, arrive at a partial conclusion I've also made many times (Fog of War), and then state you "don't accept [my] arguments" and that I'm not engaging in a "factual" and "serious" manner. I honestly can't tell if you are trolling or just not reading carefully.

Nobody reasonable in this thread is arguing "I want my advantage back", though certainly people are asking the question "Um... I see [xyz] advantages that are at least as significant as this and they're allowed, why remove this one GGG?". Everyone reasonable in this thread is pointing out "Black bars are an unacceptable way to address this, GGG".

If you want to argue that black bars are a defensible, logical inclusion in this game, the basic argument that needs refutation is as follows:

"
tackle70 wrote:

I don't feel like repeating myself for the millionth time as to the substance here for why black bars are an objectively bad design choice with zero rational defense. You can read the thread if you want. the TL;DR is:
  • This is a non-competitive PvE game
  • It's OK to remove ultrawide support for competitive modes e.g. PVP/prize races, but this does not necessitate removal for the base game
  • There are many allowed hardware and software advantages, many of which arguably impact the game much more than 32:9 gameplay; selectively removing one is nothing but arbitrary
  • Ultrawide users can work around this anyway, so this doesn't actually solve any problems from "bad actors" or people intent on exploits. Only regular players following TOS are affected.
  • If there are problems with ultrawide resolutions, black bars are not an acceptable solution. Multiple acceptable alternatives throughout this thread have been presented - fog of war, AI adjustments, variable FOV, bug fixes, etc.

For black bars to be OK and for this thread to go away, two things must both be true - first, the advantage given by 32:9 is a problem and needs to be removed and second, black bars are the appropriate way to do this.

I personally disagree with both of those things, but I recognize disagreement with the first part is just that - I disagree. However, it is the second part of that argument I believe objectively bad game design, indefensible, and worthy of an indefinite feedback thread until GGG finds a better solution.

I suspect the real issue is that black bars are a lazy fix that required 30 minutes of dev time by an intern, quality fixes require actual dev time, and they decided they just don't care about something affecting a tiny fraction of the player-base. I still believe that is unacceptable.

1 year, 224 days

Fix it, GGG.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Mar 29, 2024, 9:33:50 AM
1 year, 225 days

Fix it
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
1 year, 226 days

Fix it