The Self Found League

"
Felkroth wrote:
I like this idea.

However, 'no trading' will really only work for single player. Any groups of friends looking to enjoy party play would be discouraged when someone finds the perfect item for someone else in the party.

if its perfect for someone else - dont pick it up. simple as that. No trading
IGN Nordes
"
dark_madmax wrote:
"
Felkroth wrote:
I like this idea.

However, 'no trading' will really only work for single player. Any groups of friends looking to enjoy party play would be discouraged when someone finds the perfect item for someone else in the party.

This is what I thought too. Just don't pick it up, but for this to really work the ability to ID an item on the ground would need to be added.
+ infinity.

I'll just paste one of the many responses I've given to this idea in other threads.

"
The more I think about it, the more good I see in a separate league with no trading and better tuned drops of both gear and orbs. Or hell, even just orbs, really bring crafting into the light.

People keep mentioning this as a solo only league, I'm not sure why this would need to be solo only (I do solo almost exclusively), I can't see reason why wanting to find/craft your own items without trading needs to be an exclusively solo thing, maybe I'm missing something /shrug.

As I've said earlier, a lot of people are very protective about free trading in RPGs, bound=swear word, etc. None more than developers themselves who see trading as a great community plus, even though it brings about, imho, more bad for the players than good.

So,
-a separate league, in a game which is all about leagues.
-actually finding loot in a loot-find genre.
-crafting worth doing (crafting would actually become really meaningful) in a game which has a great crafting system which up to yet fails only because of trading (and orb drops which is a byproduct of trading, them being currencies).
-advocates of trading are unaffected as they remain in the trading league.

This has so much win about it, it really does.
Not least because it would be great research of a kind not yet seen, giving real statistics to the gaming industry just how valued trading is and how successful loot-find games can be when the onus is on loot-find and crafting.

Do it, GGG, you can pioneer here.
Casually casual.

"
mesatrin wrote:
"
dark_madmax wrote:
"
Felkroth wrote:
I like this idea.

This is what I thought too. Just don't pick it up, but for this to really work the ability to ID an item on the ground would need to be added.

Fully agree with the "Don't pick it up" easy, simple and no extra work for GGG

I don't see why the need to ID items on the ground would need to be added.
I support this as well. Find some balance between no trading and swimming in loot, though.
"
Or maybe the whole thing could be based on that grace period. Allowing free trading on any item for 5 minutes would fix the group issue, but would essentially remove the normal trading altogether.

Yes, the timer would work. If an item had been owned for less than N minutes, it could be dropped back on the ground without destruction. While technically you could get onto trade chat and try to sell it quick (by party invitation), the net impact of this on item availability to the community of players would be nil.

I'd prefer this drop back onto ground thing, however. See, if you have a friend, and you drop it on the ground, trust is not an issue. If you find a Lioneye's Glare and invite a third party to your game, this whole gyration ain't happenin'. ;-P

--C
"
Courageous wrote:

Yes, the timer would work. If an item had been owned for less than N minutes, it could be dropped back on the ground without destruction. While technically you could get onto trade chat and try to sell it quick (by party invitation), the net impact of this on item availability to the community of players would be nil.

I'd prefer this drop back onto ground thing, however. See, if you have a friend, and you drop it on the ground, trust is not an issue. If you find a Lioneye's Glare and invite a third party to your game, this whole gyration ain't happenin'. ;-P

--C

Actually, trade would still be impossible. The only item that would be droppable is the one that's just found. All other items are still 'no drop' so all you can do is give the item to someone else via drop: no one could give anything to you in exchange.

The BEST you can do tradewise would be if a boss dropped a sword and a shield, I pick up the shield you get the sword, and we both drop to exchange during the time limit. Thus in boss drops everyone has 5 minutes to exchange the drops they want with each other or a very fast friend.

The question just comes to how hard it would be to code given that they might just input the Town drop code into other maps, which doesn't allow ANYTHING to drop.

Right now I propose just getting the league started and just keeping it No Drop/No Trade period. This is a beta game: let's test to see if we really do need some way to soften the situation before coding something major into it. IF the mode becomes popular and IF the community demands SOME way to exchange fresh drops THEN the code could be worked on.
There's a fraction of players who like consistency and predictability: killing boss X will yield item Y.

This game really isn't for people like that.

This game is for people who'll do the same area over and again because they know..., a Mirror can drop anywhere, anytime. - CharanJaydemyr
"

Actually, trade would still be impossible.

A super nice end-game rare drops. I ID it. It rocks. I don't want it.

I get on trade chat really quick and agree to a price.

Person joins my instance.

He stands about a screen away, drops 3 EX.

I drop the item.

He hovers, seeing that the stats are as described.

We run across the screen; I to the currency; he to the item.

The trade is made.

Anyway, I agree; we should just get the League going.

--C
"
Courageous wrote:
"

Actually, trade would still be impossible.

A super nice end-game rare drops. I ID it. It rocks. I don't want it.

I get on trade chat really quick and agree to a price.

Person joins my instance.

He stands about a screen away, drops 3 EX.

I drop the item.

He hovers, seeing that the stats are as described.

We run across the screen; I to the currency; he to the item.

The trade is made.

Anyway, I agree; we should just get the League going.

--C

One problem with the Bold:

He tries to drop 3 EX. Unless he had FOUND 3 EX in the past 5 minutes then all he gets is "Warning, you will destroy this item. Confirm?"

Remember, the 'window' only applies to items found 5 minutes ago. ALL other items are still no-drop.

So you are more than free to drop the item and find a buyer. However ,they'll only be able to buy it using items they just found. BEST you can do is to leave it on the ground or perhaps pick up/drop/repeat over and over in the HOPES of finding someone with specifically what you want doing the same thing and HOPING said person doesn't just run in and steal all of the stuff you stashed instead.

Oh I'm sure someone will try this, and will post on the forums about how a lost connection or the game patching killed their Unique they planned to trade, or how after so long they found someone who 'claimed' to be 'stashing' 3 EX only to invite them to their instance and have their stuff stolen. And we will laugh and laugh at how they went so out of their way to ruin themselves instead of just playing a trading league instead.

There's a fraction of players who like consistency and predictability: killing boss X will yield item Y.

This game really isn't for people like that.

This game is for people who'll do the same area over and again because they know..., a Mirror can drop anywhere, anytime. - CharanJaydemyr
"
One problem with the Bold...

Well you got me there!

Right you are.

Carry on, carry on.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info