IRON MAN CHALLENGE FOR IRON MEN ONLY (ALL CAPS GUIDE)

"
Wisdom wrote:
I fail to see what's so great about this build. Any attack that doesn't rely on chaos damage will kill you in a single hit. I'm familiar with the concept of glass cannons, but this build doesn't even take advantage of low life mods since your life is technically 100% full. In the current state of the game, you need to be able to withstand at least one hit. Certain monster attacks can't be avoided, even if you're constantly moving. In short, it doesn't matter if you're a very talented player, you'll still have an extraordinary amount of trouble once you hit act 2.

I always thought Dreggon knew his stuff, but when it comes to this, he is clearly clueless. I understand that some people thrive on that rush you get when you feel like you could possibly die at any moment. However, in this case, it isn't a possibility that you will die, it's a certainty.

In my opinion, people should spend more time focusing on builds that focus on constantly having low life. It's possible to always have low life now that certain skills reserve mana/life. I have one character that relies on this, but it is still a very volatile character. For example, I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-air."

NOT SURE IF SERIOUS, OR LAST SENTENCE.
I WANT TO SEE SOME HARDCORE IRON MEN!
molten shield spam is in order.

Might also want acrobatics, but either way lots of evasion.

That said, I would maybe find this somewhat funny if it wasn't written in allcaps which is never funny even if satirical.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Mar 28, 2012, 12:58:54 AM
"
Kendroxide wrote:
I WANT TO SEE SOME HARDCORE IRON MEN!

Ironman (video game version) was originally a semi-hardcore playing style when it was invented fifteen years ago in Diablo I (Circa 1997 - with official tournaments in 1998).

The ironman game emphasized skilled teamwork play and deemphasized the value of equipment and leveling the character so that the character could overpower the monsters.

The basics:

1) When you died - you stayed dead - UNLESS - one of your teammates found a resurrection scroll. (These were the original version of all hardcore games)

2) Except for your intial start in town and when mandatory for quests, you never went back to town. When mandatory for quests, you could talk to the townsfolk and you could get the quest reward.

3)All teams consisted of one player of each type - and in tournament games - one moderator to watch the players to make sure they were following the rules.

4)Players MUST clear each area of the game BEFORE they move on to the next one. If there were quest restrictions to access a sub-section, then you followed the quest order.

5)You could only ID with ID scrolls you found. (This naturally follows from not being able to go to town, but was also necessary with the invention of the bard class which had an innate ability to ID items. Thus, ID scrolls were the single element of luck that could substantially affecting the outcome of the game. Knowing when to use ID scrolls was a skill unto itself.

6)No repairing gear in town. One class (Warrior) had a repair skill, but items still degraded and broke.

7)Items were distributed according to most appropriate class and then in order of need. Warriors got armor, weapons and life potions, Rogues got bows, Sorcerors got mana pots and spell books etc. As the game progressed, the warrior got the larger life pots and smaller ones went to teammates as necessary and so on.

8)In non-tournament games - you had to clear an entire section (church levels 1-4) Catecombs (5-8) Caves (9-12) or Hell (13-16) if you wished to pause (stop playing) a game and resume playing with your team later on. Players that died in a paused game had to wait in town until a resurrection scroll was found and "used" (discarded) in order to rejoin the team. In tournament games non-stop play was emphasized and unless a moderator allowed it (usually only for games that went well over 12 hours) you had to keep playing until you beat the game (a few teams occasionally made it as far as cats 2 in nightmare.

9)Games were scored according to deepest area reached with time completed as a tie breaker. Points were deducted (or teams disqualified) for not clearing areas (including popping chests and smashing barrels -which could cause damage to your character)

There are/were few other minor rules related to scoring but the gist of it was that Ironman games were about playing the game with the most skill and least abuse of level and gear advantage versus monsters.

Ironman was never about not having any life or not wearing armor etc. Naked (no-gear) ironman games showed up a bit later, but as the players rarely made it through the second section (catecombs)it was more a game of luck than skill and wasn't taken seriously.

If the original poster of this thread really wants to make the game as difficult as possible, play with no gear, no skills (passive or active) and no potions.

I doubt that sort of game would last very far, or show much in the way of skill (other than ranged characters dodging ability. If this "new" version of ironman is just about not getting hit, its not much more than an isometric version of Space Invaders.

But, as in all things - if someone finds it fun - then to each his or her own and enjoy!

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
tpapp157 wrote:
Priceless thread.

I quote this.
"
Ardelo wrote:
"
tpapp157 wrote:
Priceless thread.

I quote this.

I quote that.
UPDATED WITH SCREENSHOTS.
IRON MAN
I AM COMPLETELY BOOZED UP AND I JUST LOLD REALLY LOUD AND WOKE UP PEOPLE IN MY HOUSE WHEN I SAW THE SCREENY OF YOU CUSSING OUT CHRIS FOR RESTARTING THE SERVER.

THE PART ABOUT YOU BEING SO INTERESTED IN THE "WOOD" DISTURBED ME THOUGH. STARTING TO WONDER WHAT AN IRONMANS ALL ABOUT!

EVEN THOUGH HE RESTARTS SERVERS AND NERFS MY FAVORITE SKILLS CHRIS IS STILL ON MY MOST FAVORITE PEOPLE LIST UNDER 1.JESUS CHRIST 2.MY FAMILY 3.CHRIS 4. RUSH LIMBAUGH
5.ED BASSMASTER 6.JACK VALE 7.NACHO LIBRE 8.STEVEN SEAGAL
9.CHUCK NORRIS 10. BRUCE LEE

Last edited by bilbobeastlybaggins on Mar 30, 2012, 3:32:24 AM
I am so sorry
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
I understand Rule 39 of the Internet states that "CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL" but Rule 40 also states that:

"EVEN WITH CRUISE CONTROL YOU STILL HAVE TO STEER."

Goddamn awesome topic, regardless.
Last edited by MrTastix on Mar 30, 2012, 7:37:05 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info