Easier to fuse 5 link with 6 slot than with 5 slot?

What the title says, will a 6 slot have a higher chance of linking 5 than a 5 slot?
"
Sairony wrote:
What the title says, will a 6 slot have a higher chance of linking 5 than a 5 slot?

Yes, I believe so. If you roll a group of 1, then you have another chance at a group of 5.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Now I gotta get curious, how does the link roll mechanics work ?, especially by group like you mentioned ?
Unviable build tester.
Fuse mechanics:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/21503
95% Crit Build Without Charges [0.10.1c]:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172438
from his statement id guess it rolls in succession.

i.e.

6 link

rolls 2 link of 6 possible continues

rolls 2 link + 2 prev of 6 possible continues

rolls 2 link + 4 previous full 6 stops.

(this being 3 separate 2 links not 6 link, pretty sure 6L is 1 roll and would stop first roll)

and id guess roll starts @ 0 and can continue to roll 0 throughout process until possible links are full.
IGN: @Chopatron
Last edited by Chopatron on Feb 29, 2012, 3:22:49 AM
Judging by how a 6 link has its links ( which can only be 1 configuration ), and the different configurations I've seen with fusings, my guess it goes something like this:

It starts in top left going right, when hitting a border or already linked slot it goes directly down 1 step and continue in the other direction, rinse repeat. For each step it takes a roll is made to see if a link is made with the current cluster. If a roll fails, it restarts the algorithm from the top left most unrolled slot and continues. This would be consistent with how a 2 + 4 link, 5 link, 3 + 3 link etc looks. Either the chance of linking goes down as the size of the cluster goes up, or there's just a flat link chance ( probably around 0.37 or thereabout ).
I'm taking the mention of groups to mean that a linked set of sockets results from each roll.

For example, a six socket item's first roll will yield a group of 1 to 6 linked sockets, leaving 5 to 0 sockets for the next roll. If the number of sockets remaining is greater than 1, the process continues.

To end up with
o-o
o o
|
o-o

the fusing orb would have rolled 2, 1, 3.

This method allows for each group number to be assigned an integer weighting like is done with jeweler's orbs.
And as it is such so also as such is it unto you
Last edited by IMDisappoint on Feb 29, 2012, 8:58:33 AM
i think i said the same thing or meant the same as iamdisappoint but in a different way lol.

6 socket, rolls 4 link socket left continues

can link last 2 but no higher cause other sockets are rolled.

0-0
|
0-0

0-0

same with 3/3 cluster .. rolls 3 then rolls 3 left hits 3 again.

0-0
....|
0 0
|
0-0

both somewhat common to see.

is why i was guessing 6L is 1 single roll.

(sockets and actual connections are making it kinda difficult to talk about lol, 6l is actualy 5 connections but 6 linked sockets.)

edit ... not sure why that 2nd diagram link wont space right... the damn forums dont even wana link sockets LOL!
IGN: @Chopatron
Last edited by Chopatron on Feb 29, 2012, 5:02:39 PM
"
Chopatron wrote:
i think i said the same thing or meant the same as iamdisappoint but in a different way lol.

oops, sorry. Yeah, we have the same idea.

"
Chopatron wrote:
edit ... not sure why that 2nd diagram link wont space right... the damn forums dont even wana link sockets LOL!

hahaha
And as it is such so also as such is it unto you
Last edited by IMDisappoint on Feb 29, 2012, 5:17:53 PM
8/8 Overachiever
http://twitch.tv/hegemonyTV
http://www.youtube.com/user/hegemonypoe
Last edited by HegemonyTV on Mar 3, 2013, 12:33:50 AM
is it really easier?

Got myself a high level rare 6 socket ES chest so I thought I'll fuse it to get a 5 link before I go on to do maps with this char, I didn't even dream of a 6-link, but I thought that a 5-link shouldn't be that hard If I already got 6 sockets.

After burning through all my currency I've made a new build that I've planned to use for orb-farming (and make it at least a bit less boring, because as I lvl up I need to change farming spot rather than farm docks merci till my eyes bleed).

Weeks pass, turn all my rares (i.e. via alterations shards) and currency into fusing and still no 5-link.

IGN: AlCohonez, GhengizCohen

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info