Do I need to have a naked slave woman shackled to my mana pool?

"
Avireyn wrote:
"
paraspam wrote:
It's sad to see someone get crapped on when they bring up a serious issue such as sexual discrimination.

Sexual discrimination is a serious issue if the UN wants to circumcise 30 million boys in Africa.
Sexual discrimination is a serious issue if a state legalizes Genital Mutilation of one sex while at the same time demonizing Genital Mutilation of the opposite one.
Sexual Discrimination is a serious issue if people get stoned to death because of their sexual orientation.
Sexual discrimination is a serious issue if humans are treated as second-class because of their sex.
Sexual discrimination is a serious issue if a whole sex is singled out to die for their country.

Calling a single artistic choice in a freaking game "sexual discrimination" makes light of the term "sexual discrimination".
Well done.

ok m8
Last edited by paraspam on Feb 27, 2013, 4:47:23 PM
I hate that so many people are saying that they're happy about the orb women or that it's "eye candy". I know most of you are trolling her, but you're just giving her more "ammunition" to make an argument that the orbs are sexualizing women and treating them as objects, and that they're meant to be sexy and appeal to male gamers. When that's clearly not the case and we all know it (except, of course, OP).

Path of Exile is set in a horrible, horrible place. You can see this in the Solaris Temple, of course, but also early on in the Prison, full of bodies, blood trails everywhere, and cages where prisoners were once held on display at the Prisoner's Gate. The orb girls are an extension of this, and beautiful artwork representative of the style of the game. To remove them because people are "offended" would be silly, because they fit the overall theme and artstyle of the game. Dark, gritty, horrible, fantasy. If those girls are too much for you to handle, I have no clue how you can handle the later parts of the game, maybe you shouldn't even be playing.
<3
Last edited by Tassels on Feb 27, 2013, 4:54:32 PM
I don't even notice the enslaved women in the UI after having played the game for long, but it's as it is because it's reminiscent of D2.

The point is, you have enslaved angels/innocents holding up your health/mana globes. This is not to represent "the glorification of oppressed women" but to represent the "oppression of good/holy/vital/life-ly things". Path of Exile is a game with a dark setting. People are enslaved. The UI sets the tone for the game's themes.

If we aren't allowed to show the oppression of the female sex in a video game, book, or other artform, then we're just censoring something that actually happens in real life just to make some overly sensitive people comfortable. Face the facts: There is such a thing as "evil". Whatever it may be, it exists in some form you can put to words. Path of Exile's UI is not some attempt to tell people to oppress or chain-up women; it is mean to symbolize the struggle against oppression. The struggle against 'evil'. The struggle to survive.

If you want GGG to change the UI so it does not show this, you want to censor that message. If you're for the 'rights of women' you only do yourself a disservice to that cause by requesting that.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Feb 27, 2013, 5:11:15 PM
It's a game set in a place where terrible things happen. Artwork throughout the game helps set the atmosphere as a dreadful place. Yes, there's there's slave girls as part of the art.. it's a terrible thing that would happen on an island full of criminals.

Maybe it should bother you... maybe you should play the game to vanquish the evils that would do such a thing. But if it still bothers you, maybe you should play another game?
"Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right."
- Ricky Gervais
I'm sorry but if this actually offends or upsets anyone you really need to get out into the real world because you're living in a bubble. This is such a non issue I honestly can't believe what I'm reading.
Many people here seem to dismiss the OP's discomfort with the UI as a minor thing, and in many ways, it is a very minor issue with PoE. The problem is, it is a symptom of a much larger problem for girl-gamers in general. If that kind of art were rare, I would definitely agree that it was a style choice, and people should just live with it. The sad facts are, however, that women are over-sexualized in VIRTUALLY ALL VIDEOGAMES (as they are in most other forms of media.)

I, as a husband of a girl gamer, do in fact like the boobies. But I would much rather have a game my girlfriend/wife would be happy playing with me, than go off to play a game by myself. Honestly, I'm not sure why so many boys here are not coming to OP's defense (well, I know why, but the logic is not there.) If you are a straight white male who likes to play video games, I promise you that you will live a happier life if you can get your SO into them too. I can also promise you that this will be much easier when a game is not a) Pointing out to your girl how inferior her body is, and b) In the event that her body is not inferior, telling her that she is wrong for wearing clothes. This being the case, it simply does not make sense to defend any kind of game feature which even "might" makes some women uncomfortable. Our goal should be to make gaming MORE appealing to them then it is to us.

As many have said before, a good game is a good game, and boobs are not gonna add or subtract from that. Women are oversexualized in all media. So until that changes, developers WILL have to go to a special effort to make that is NOT the case with their game, because no matter how good their reasons are for their design choices, there are about a billion other comics/games/movies/etc that look the same in the world that just did it for the boobs.

Although I completely understand your point, I would just like to say that you should simply enjoy the game as it is. I didn't sign up because of the mana orbs, or the mobs, or the hole on the side of the ship (haha, get it?).
Women are shown as tools and eye-candy everywhere, and it's not because "gamers" are pervs, or because we think they're tools, it's simply because women let themselves be tools by dressing slutty and acting accordingly. It's rather ironic to complain about something like this when most females dress in an inappropriate manner and if you say something about it, you're a "sexist cis scum who should get his privileges checked".
Sign a petition for changing the way women are portrayed in real life, then come to online, til then, SEE YA!
People are soo wrapped in cotton wool these days.

You don't have much to worry about if this is what bothers you....

It fit's the theme of the game it's in no ways sexist when you see the game from the bigger picture.

Hell pretty sure due to act three there are more examples of Naked and exploited men than their are woman.

Get over it.
While I don't necessarily agree with Zifna - I don't share her discomfort in seeing the chained naked girl - I can certainly understand where she is coming from.

I'd also like to point out that she has a right to her opinion, and attacking her for it does not make you better people, and it doesn't make this community better. She raised a valid concern of hers to be discussed, and a lot of you have simply dismissed her because you have a different opinion.

With that being said, I personally like the aesthetic look that the slave girl provides, as the game is very grim and dark, and it helps set the atmosphere from the start. However, I would not mind one bit (and in fact I might even enjoy it) if the developers were to add a different set of "orb decorations" or the option to turn them off.
Last edited by Sisebi on Feb 27, 2013, 11:18:46 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info