The Fall of Oriath: The Harbour Bridge

I can't wait to hear about some new SKILL gems :D LOUIE!!!!!!!
The LORD will march forth like a mighty Warrior, He will come out like a warrior, full of fury. He will shout his battle cry and crush all his enemies.
let's call it "the general's bridge" then?

also, charan, grow some hair pls :-)
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Daiena wrote:
While it might sound like a horribly rude thing to say

You're right. It was. Good job undermining any point you might have actually had there, champ.

Being rude does not undermine a point in a debate. A lot of the most potent truths in history were delivered rudely.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Wraeclast is riddled with them. We have 'The Prison' when it's clearly 'Axiom Prison'; 'The Ledge' is actually 'Silenus Bluffs'; 'The Forest' is 'Phrecia Forest'. And so on. The names exist. The game just refuses to use them, and I find it baffling.

While those names do exist (rather obscured, if you ask me), do recall that you are an exile first and foremost. In this game, if you are not playing the scion or maybe the duelist, then you ain't the type to waltz around knowing all that stuff from the getgo. Off the top of my head, only Axiom Prison is properly "introduced" to you by other characters' chatting. You don't ACTUALLY have a map on you, telling you the names of those places. It would be unreasonably generous to give every exile a map before you dropkick them off a boat to die. As far as you're concerned, "Western Forest", "Ledge" and "Mines" are as good as a descriptive name as any, since almost never are you actually given good, proper names for them.

But honestly though, I don't think mystical names are necessary, or even proper for a game like this. Harbour Bridge is cheeky sure. But this game is the essence of being makeshift, practical, and pragmatic. When I play POE, I honestly feel like the intention is to make you feel like an uncultured scrub thrust into a position of power, scrambling for survival, using tools wildly beyond your true understanding. Not only that, but a lot of the real-time story builds on the concept of destroying the old kingdom and replacing it with the new. I mean FFS you are LITERALLY killing and eating the old gods one-by-one because fuck 'em.

All these themes build a game that suits having simplistic, gutter names. I can IMAGINE a handful of exiles saying "We're heading out into the slums." I can't really imagine any of them following up with "Oh, you mean the historical fifth district, or the Sarn wall third quadrant?".

Adding some deep lore to the names rips away that feeling; it makes it feel like your character actually GIVES a shit about the earth and ruins of civilizations that are all uniformly trying to murder them, and are intent on saving all that dead history of their own volition from the getgo. Which is a hard theme to justify when a vast majority of this game is centered around your character dismantling said history piecemeal.

"
Coal48 wrote:
I don't know history well, so I might be wrong but a long time ago, people who believed that the earth was round were killed for their beliefs, yet now, it's agreed on that it is.

Common misinformation. Ancient peoples pretty much always knew the earth was round. It's kinda hard to excel at astronomy if you believe in a flat earth. Flat Earthism is just a stupid cult-type belief that always has a handful of stupid subscribers.
Last edited by Ekozz on Jun 30, 2017, 12:49:30 AM
Its looks so brutal awesome :=)
I am veteran i have follow Poe sense November 2010.
Looks like Act 3 rehashed...I feel like we've only gotten one new area so far in Beta (Act 5) and the rest is just running through the inverses of Act-1-3.

New bosses are fun, but I'm still a bit disappointed.
Last edited by lance68har on Jun 30, 2017, 11:36:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info