Damage Over Time Changes - More Information Part 2

I hope there is a graphic explaination of how damages are dealt in 3.0
I made this but not quite sure if it's right
-_-
Last edited by top2000 on May 10, 2017, 10:06:00 PM
DoT changes are so confusing. I'm so glad i never made a dipper build.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
'kay, I think I might be confused. Picture included for clarity.

- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
"
top2000 wrote:

Your image seems pretty accurate.
Here are two parts of a thing I did internally while we were working out what changes needed to happen:
Old System

New System

EDIT: Another case with conversion:
Old System

New System

Last edited by Mark_GGG on May 12, 2017, 12:37:26 AM
"
pootie3030 wrote:
Beta is void is it not? Importing characters would not work

Being Void matters none.. Everything will go away when it ends anyway along with anything else gained. You would simply be able to use the items and builds you already have in the beta and nothing more.
Only problem i could see is some sort on limitation implementing imports from a programming perspective which if that's the case then i can understand that.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
"
top2000 wrote:
I made this but not quite sure if it's right

Hahah I just saw this after posting my own quickly made MSPaint graphic, puzzling through PoE DoT mechanics. It's too darn confusing not to use visual aids, right?

Great minds, y'know.
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
I just replied to the previous manifesto post and noticed this one, so I'll re-iterate it here:

I have a question about the changes to remove blanket status effects:

Is stun regarded as an "ailment" also? it seems to have been omitted from all mentions of the previous manifesto posts discussing ailment changes.

Stun focused builds suffer from blanket immunities in much the same way that freeze builds do.

With the removal of blanket immunities, hypothermia as a choice becomes viable in situations where immunities would have removed it from the equation previously, damage-wise.

Stun builds suffer from the same complete-removal-of-build-mechanic as freeze builds do: and in cases where you rely on stun for endurance charge generation, an unwavering monster like the Minotaur Guardian can completely shut that down (possibly 2 jewels in your main attack become irrelevant vs unwavering: stun and endurance charge on melee stun).

In extreme cases, such as vigilant strike character using endurance charges as main-attack fuel, this would completely lock down your build on both defense and offense.

Is there any chance that stun will be included in the ailments pass?
"
Pathological wrote:
"
Lantis02 wrote:
This is legitimately like the 5th post about damage over time. There is something inherently wrong if it takes this much explaining and justification.
You're right; it is a gross comment on the quality of schooling undertaken by the average player!

It's not complex, but people are still frequently misunderstanding or complaining about things that simply aren't the case.

^this

"This world is getting stupider exile!"
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
"
Hyskoa wrote:
This entire text reads like "We're breaking your favourite toys and giving you something bland and mediocre in return".

What we need is some competition in the arpg market so ggg can't keep making these bad decisions and get away with it. malice discharge is utter poop now to play. Showing how little ggg knows about balance.

Bad decisions? I get that there are people who want POE to be Candy crush but this game was never made for you, in it's kickstarter it explicitly says "hard core ARPG"

if you need to melt Shaper in 0.06 seconds then this game wasn't made for you, you are playing the wrong game and selfishly embracing unintended brokenly OP mechanics to misappropriate a game that was made for a different audience.

The "clear speed meta" is not responsible for how popular this game has become, the game has built and built on years of positive word of mouth and superior depth. If anything the Clear speed casuals who want to trivialize all content will WORSEN the popularity of POE and maybe even harm the game like "Gaming locusts" have done in so many MMO's.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
I posted this a few weeks back, but it's still relevant now;

my take on the before and after of dot damage for 3.0:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info