NZGDC 2016 Developer Presentation: Labyrinth Design

"
Sexcalibure wrote:

- POE is a hack n slash aka kill mobs as fast as you can, then you throw us shitty unkillable traps that not only deal a lot of dps but its a % of ur life

HnS just refers to combat (instead of things like a story focus RPGs usually have) not mindless slaughterfests.
Perception is reality.
"
ripnburn69 wrote:
Do they explain why it's just not any fun.

I'm sure some people find it fun but I'm with you here. I do Ascendancy points and Never go back.
Saved
Thank you for the insight.
Would like to see some option for people who dislike it... even if the option isn't all that much fun either. At least you could choose your poison.
Ascendancy has been much fun. I am hoping it isn't reduced in importance as some people seem to be suggesting.
Why did you code an item acquisition game, then turn around and make the method of character differentiation simply not care about the items you've acquired?

How can you release content that punishes people for taking one keystone, and reward them for taking another, without regard as to players skill and capability?

There is no way to add or subtract mods from lab, unlike a map, and this is a massive discrepancy between character builds, and what I assume is the rest of the game's core philosophy, trading and item acquisition?

You have made some absolutely bone-headed decisions, the list is long, but having lab not at all based around player skill, but rather whether or not they picked or did not pick certain keystone is the worst one- I don't even know of another game that made such a terrible decision.

Last edited by Orca_Orcinus on Jan 24, 2017, 8:32:38 PM
Nice, enjoyed reading through the presentation!
"
Orca_Orcinus wrote:
Why did you code an item acquisition game, then turn around and make the method of character differentiation simply not care about the items you've acquired?

How can you release content that punishes people for taking one keystone, and reward them for taking another, without regard as to players skill and capability?

There is no way to add or subtract mods from lab, unlike a map, and this is a massive discrepancy between character builds, and what I assume is the rest of the game's core philosophy, trading and item acquisition?

You have made some absolutely bone-headed decisions, the list is long, but having lab not at all based around player skill, but rather whether or not they picked or did not pick certain keystone is the worst one- I don't even know of another game that made such a terrible decision.

QFT.

This is more a guideline for what other designers should avoid than a showcase of a successful part of the game.
You don't have to ascend if you think lab is that bad. You just have to do something for the power you get instead of just grinding maps.
Sadly, the labyrinth/trials thing missed the mark on many levels. Removing the ascendancy points from behind the poorly designed gimmick would be a step in the right direction.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info