Progress Update for 2.4.2

"
vio wrote:
"
Also why do you doubt how much can be preloaded by a 64bit version of the game?

they need to leave ram for other programs and windows itself which buffers alof of dlls and stuff into memory in case it's needed.

just take the probably most common setup of 8GB RAM:

- win takes 2 GByte (with some safe space so it doeesn't use the page file)

- Firefox, Messenger, Chat Clients and stuff will take 2 GByte (just lookup firefox' memory consumption with some flash sessions in over 10 tabs, it can consume over 1 GByte alone)

- one GByte needs to be left for additional stuff the user may start (a second game instance for trading?).

you're left with 3 GByte for the poe client which is exactly the amount of ram the 32-bit client can already dynamically allocate on a 64-bit OS.

Anyone doing all of that while gaming, should be shot (unless their playing a game that is older than their oldest piece of hardware). It is, and has always been, common sense to not do that stuff while playing demanding video games. It was drilled in to everyone in the 90's and 2000's (almost every instruction manual for a game says to ONLY run the game or to close all background programs in their troubleshooting section) and should still be common sense today.

At most users should be running Steam, mandatory hardware driver crap, Antivirus and their game. All of this & Windows should work fine within a 1GB limit for Windows 7 and newer. Majority of this stuff can be stored in the Swap File without any consequences other than slow alt-tabbing, Windows 10 Anniversary Update also introduces RAM compression. Mozilla Firefox stuff can be 100% cached to the Swap File when the program isn't in focus it has no time critical functions that require the process to remain active (unless you're playing media in a browser tab).

I'm aware of Firefox's obscene RAM consumption. In any case, preloading the entire game (which is like 6GB now?) would obviously require the user to have more than 8GB of physical RAM for an ideal scenario (ideal meaning multi-tasking friendly). I'd say a minimum of 12GB of RAM will be necessary once Act 5 is released.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Oct 30, 2016, 5:52:16 AM
Do want!
Where is the Ctrl+Click to/from guild stash?

As a guild leader i need this feature

From Orlando, FL, U.S.
Will these engine improvements fix the massive frame drops that certain effects cause with AMD cards? Just tried the Hyrda Guardian today and was not possible to due 5-20 fps. Haven't tried to do other guardians yet (mainly because those maps haven't dropped yet), but it's pretty shitty to no be able to do one of the endgame bosses due to technical issues. Especially after how much time I have put in this league in order to go for those bosses...
"
Will these engine improvements fix the massive frame drops that certain effects cause with AMD cards? Just tried the Hyrda Guardian today and was not possible to due 5-20 fps. Haven't tried to do other guardians yet (mainly because those maps haven't dropped yet), but it's pretty shitty to no be able to do one of the endgame bosses due to technical issues. Especially after how much time I have put in this league in order to go for those bosses...

Yup. Played for about 3 years so far....get to high level maps and the crashes and lag for the most part make it to time consuming with the xp penalty to play a good deal of the end game content. Across several pc's laptops, vid cards, etc.

There are rather a lot of reports of alt-tab not working properly and I responded to try to help someone having issues in https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1665892/

I will add that for this game I only run it once a cold boot. After the game client is opened and closed...it's unplayable for me if restarted. In short I shut down the pc...restart. Start task manager. Then start PoE. Plays and alt tabs so I can at least search the store in a web page and keep the game open...alt tab back to the game and play a map etc. And if it locks hard then WinKey+tab will allow me to get to a desktop and shutdown without pushing the power button.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_inmarket.161014-1755)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/16/12 21:14:03 Ver: 11.01
Processor: AMD Processor Model Unknown (6 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM
Page File: 2036MB used, 14346MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.14393.0000 64bit Unicode

Hoping they get some of these issues addressed in the update.
Here's to hoping that the new skills won't be shoved back to 2.5. I'm torn between being salty that they keep being pushed back, and kind of happy that more work is going into them provided they aren't still crappy/buggy upon release. Starting to strongly suspect that they might get pushed back to 2.5 at the last second. :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info