State of Exile Community Podcast - Featuring Chris Wilson

"
"
vio wrote:
@ggg:

i know this game is massively centered around the united states, a majority of players comes from there and you even risk the well being of your company by doing your accouting in their currency so they feel like at home.

but you ever asked yourself on how many of your european players can access the substantially mass of information in your video interviews without a proper transcription?

Very true. My english oral comprehension isn't good enough to understand one quarter of what was said in this video.
A summary of the main points covered would be very welcomed.

Guys, they don't even do the podcast themselves, do you really think they are going to transcribe and translate it for you?
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I like the trials of ascendancy. They only take a few minutes to complete, and it gives the player a bit of a reason to explore some areas they normally wouldn't, like the catacombs.
I also appreciate Chris's view on trading. I don't enjoy trading at all; all of my stuff I've found myself.
Liked all of this except for the PvP portion. I probably would've never started playing PoE if it wasn't for the future promise of PvP. Chris said they've made "pushes" for PvP but it's been done so damn poorly... The same group in the PvP forums have been saying the same things over and over, let us have a PvP season in Standard (so we can use our characters to compete that have taken years to create and perfect), fix EA, etc, etc. We asked for it since the beginning and you've tried feeding us everything but. Instead we got midget dueling (LLD) that nobody cares about and is boring as hell. Not all of us like League of Legends and I personally like the idea of gear being a factor in a match, preparing, theorycrafting, finding creative solutions to opponents. PoE had the potential no other game had to capitalize on this. All along, all we wanted is a competitive, semi-balanced way to use our level 95+ chars with godly gear to humiliate each other in a virtual arena, and you refused to provide it. (prizes and those ideas are just gravy, not essential)

When you asked the community how to push forward PvP you asked the WRONG GUYS, with the wrong advice. This should be obvious to you know because nobody liked what they had to offer.
IGN - Xukai

Mirror Service - /1046531
Last edited by trav_dawg on Apr 11, 2016, 11:47:33 PM
Thank you!
Really enjoyed this and very hopeful for the POE future :)
SSF since ~OB
I thoroughly enjoy watching vods of these when the GGG devs visit.

The fact that you frequent this cast shows that you put a high priority on being directly active in the community. Huge props.

Every one of the devs are extremely knowledgeable about predecessor games, and where the fun was in those games to both casual and very dedicated players. I cannot state how happy this makes me. Especially, when the most memorable comment to me in the earlier stages of the development of D3 from the lead dev was that 'weapon switch was essentially never used, and it was confusing'. I wondered if we even played the same game, and decided then not to even buy it until an expansion or something...i could go on but it will get too lengthy...

-A comment of interest to me was when Chris stated that a lot of PvPers went to MOBAs. I was curious if there was any hard data on this. It seemed like it was kind of based on a basic market study or the like( just the feel I got from the wording).
I had thought about this, but figured the allure of having both gear and skill choices would help keep the PvP community active in PoE.

The team is also very good at articulating the mechanics of said fun, their costs and benefits, how the function together, etc. I hear zero of the normal PR nonsense that you get from almost all other interviews from dev team interviews. The discussions show very detailed thought about the subjects at hand. The tone is one of pragmatism, and you speak as to a peer rather than to a potential customer. You expect the viewer to digest the problem as well, but make sure that the viewer is aware of many of the other potential issues that may arise in a seemingly good idea.

The discussion on trade systems was very interesting to me. I am one that rarely trades in RPG style games. I didn't in D2 except for very specific things. I have not traded a single thing in PoE. I actually killed Brutus, but have also logged off for a couple of months just before getting to maps in several seasons.

I don't really intend to trade either. I am quite happy that trade improvements are being made though. Those that do use trading a lot should have a pleasant enough time doing so. It was really interesting to see that there is an ease barrier as possibly harmful. the driver of it being that balance would be expected to be around that level of gear normalcy, and whether that was healthy for the game. I like the line that has been drawn thus far, and the willingness to work with those community tool developers.

So thanks GGG, not just for spending the time to make the interviews possible, but also for treating your community as people rather than customers.
ty, great podcast. <3
loved the podcast, ziggy and zeno are great and its always good to hear from chris.

Chris is love, Chris is life. :D

I've been watching various people talk about all that Premium Stash Tabs/Currency Tabs thing. ProjectPT even convinced me to his point a little, but after hearing Chris, I'm convinced.
PT is wrong as wrong gets.

Yes, Premium Trade Stash tabs are needed in competitive level of play. But do you really expect to pay nothing, and be competitive?
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
asvarna wrote:
"
So chris wilson said that if they make trading easier the gap between traders and non traders would grow so that wouldn't be fair. Also only a small portion of the players trade.
And players that trade fast have an advantage.
Are you for real? Not making trading easier so non traders keep up?
I mean they decide not to trade,what has our faster trading got to do with them?
Also by your logic players with public stash tabs have a great advantage over others with no public tabs.
Your words,not mine GGG.
I hope we won't have to rely on websites forever to keep trading.

my thoughts exactly

Except that is not what Chris said. What he said was that if they make trading easier/faster (like an auction house would work), it would make the game much easier (because of the available items in said auction house). And then they would have to balance around that, which makes the game much harder for people who don't engage that much in trading. I agree with him on that point (remembering very well the times another game I won't mention here had an auction house on which that game was balanced around - that auction house made the game much harder for players who weren't into item flipping)
Chris: "... whenever we do something with pvp ... nothing happens ... like literally they reply to pvp posts: "Please talk about normal news.""

This made my day. xD

Yeah, pvp is probably better off in other games. In PoE yu spend your time mostly to make progress of some kind. It's (almost) never just about fun, but you always try to get something in return for whatever you do. It being experience, items, currency, maps, whatever.

And PvP just isn't progress. Like, at all. That's why it feels like wasted time, probably.
Last edited by Cr4v3n on Apr 12, 2016, 4:00:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info