Avatar of Fire Ice Nova Witch (Tanky easy mapper)

So Ice Nova has gotta be one of the easiest skills to use for clearing maps ever, warp into a pack and explode them then repeat, here is a video of me doing a quick gorge clear. Feel free to mute it if you don't want to hear me ramble
Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1BRaa3deJ0

With the new league it got 2 large buffs, a large damage buff and the existence of blasphemy which is a neat boon for all close range builds.

One thing I hate in builds is juggling stat requirements, luckily this build contains zero dex requirements on any gear or gems and gets plenty of strength and Int from the tree so your gear can focus entirely on life and damage

Gem setup
Spoiler

I run Increased AOE for clear speed and swap in conc effect for some big map bosses. Range is not to be underestimated though as if means you can dodge most of their stuff

Enfeeble for safety or flammability for damage. The extra ignite chance is actually pretty rad but enfeeble means you barely need to pay attention

30% curse effectiveness from the tree and 10% from blasphemy quality means that they are almost fully effective on map bosses and overeffective on normal mobs. Warlords mark gives us life leech and mana leech so we don't need to get mana from the tree and have pretty good leech as we zap around.

Zap Zap Zap

or Flame golem. Either one but I like chaos

Since you get endurance charges through warlords this lasts a pretty long time and is very important for bursty physical damage like the porcupines. Could probably level up the gems a bit more but its very subjective

Current Gear
Spoiler

Kaoms heart gives beast health and fire damage, Pledge of hands gives really neat mana and an extra link. Possibly a +3 cold gems staff would be better but Its my first time using pledge and I really like it.

Everything else is just as much life and resists as you happen to find. Doedre's Scorn is totally optional and something I go back on forward on. It does give up to 60% damage and +1 to the curses. +1 on enfeeble or flammability pretty darn good

Tree
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMAAuMDdQQHBLMHpQj0DR8QWBZvGFYYaho4Gmwc3B0UHwIfGCSqJy8o-iqNLJwwlzI0NZI22DbpOYo6WDrYOuE8BTwoPV9Bh0WdRtdJG0myTLNN41H7UlNTUlXGWAdYd1nzXwRj_WZUaHRqQ20ZcYVyD3gveuZ85X7HghCCm4LHg9uFe4dljxqPRpBVkSuVBJeVl_SaO5rgm6Gcvp2un9-iAKZXpwismK-Nr5u3PriTvOrAVMBmzRbQH9Wm2L3aYt-w42rkIuWL6-7sOOxV7TzvfO_r8B_xbPJF99f52_no_gr-jw==?accountName=WaffleT&characterName=LongLiveTheQueen

Jewels
Spoiler

Build Gets 5 Jewels and has soo many ways to scale damage
Fire Damage, Cold Damage, Area Damage, Spell Damage, Spell Damage while wielding a Staff, Cast speed, Cast Speed while Wielding a Staff, Cast Speed with Cold Spells, Life

Grab a few jewels with 3 of these on them and you'll be fine.

Izaro's Turmoil is also a great option. Up to 50% increased damage and some ignite chance. Rare jewels can only get better if they get good cast speed as well as damage

There is also a great spot for Anatomical Knowledge on the path down to the scion life wheel. I've swapped it back into damage now as I feel defence is fine since I started running enfeeble

Leveling
Spoiler

Ice Nova is pretty painful until you have spell ecco. I'd use whatever you like most until then

Ignore most of the damage and go for the strength and life in the tree. You'll need that first. Swap to avatar of fire when you get your pledge of hands, I bought mine unlinked for 1ex with the currency I got leveling to dried lake and 5 linked it without too much trouble, 5 link just means no increased aoe gem and a bit loss of speed.

Then I just did low level maps enough I had enough for a kaoms which was very fast and continued mapping until level 90 when I had enough currency to buy a 6 linked staff to finish off the build

Stats
Spoiler

Offensive Stats
Spoiler

Currently at around 30k DPS but keep in mind that most of the damage is from the 41% penetration that doesn't show up in tooltip

Defensive Stats
Spoiler

Last edited by WaffleT on Feb 3, 2016, 12:52:14 AM
Last bumped on Jun 3, 2016, 1:45:01 AM
Why not just use Pyre?
"
sumding wrote:
Why not just use Pyre?

Using Pyre would save me 2 points in the tree but lose the life and flexibility of that ring slot.

If I had a level 3 or 4 empower I would test how that compares in damage to the cold to fire gem but don't have one at the moment and the 30% more and 20% increased that cold to fire gives is pretty good

Also The ignites actually do quite a bit of damage. Especially if using flammability to increase the chance to ignite
But avatar of fire only converts 50% of cold to fire, then cancels out all non-fire damage. So its basically cutting your damage in half right?

Or is there something I'm missing?
"
sumding wrote:
But avatar of fire only converts 50% of cold to fire, then cancels out all non-fire damage. So its basically cutting your damage in half right?

Or is there something I'm missing?

all conversion happens in the same step so 50% of cold damage is converted to fire from avatar of fire + 50% of cold damage is converted from cold to fire gem = 100% of cold damage is converted to fire during the damage calculation. There is no loss in damage if you get full conversion even if it comes from multiple sources
Ah, I forgot about cold to fire. sorry.
Why did you choose to convert cold to fire? I found it very convenient to have chill (and freeze from crit or flat freeze chance) as an additional defensive layer when porting in the middle of mobs.

With empower or concentrated effect there are several alternatives for the c2f gem on a 6L, so lack of alternative support gems shouldn't be a reason.
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
Why did you choose to convert cold to fire? I found it very convenient to have chill (and freeze from crit or flat freeze chance) as an additional defensive layer when porting in the middle of mobs.

With empower or concentrated effect there are several alternatives for the c2f gem on a 6L, so lack of alternative support gems shouldn't be a reason.

> Explosive impact cluster, good aoe and damage
> Fire walker node very efficient
> Easier to get jewels, can even buy Izaro's Turmoil's for a budget up to 50% damage on a jewel
> Kaoms heart has up to 40% damage on it
> Large ignites that burn for pretty significant damage
> Zero dex requirement. Saves the several points and gear that you'd need to acquire to get the extra 100 dex for cold penetration.

Cold version Pros
> Occasionally Freeze things
> Can swap cold to fire into added cold damage or empower

Ultimately its a judgement call. If you really like freezes then cold version could be to your preference but I find the stun from warlords does the crowd control well and I like the pros that avatar of fire gives
can you post the stats?

why not run MoM, since you have so much mana.. perhaps a flask change, but not sure how much mana you got :D
"
mhaar345 wrote:
can you post the stats?

why not run MoM, since you have so much mana.. perhaps a flask change, but not sure how much mana you got :D

Sure I'll get the stats.

MoM is definitely an option. I specced into it a couple of times during the leveling process. The reason why I decided against it was that if you take it then you can't really run 100% less mana regen maps anymore.

Its quite possible you would be able to manage it with a good instant recovery mana flask but if you get an unlucky big hit as your mana leech is running dry it could stop you casting for a while which is annoying

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info