Development Manifesto: Map Changes in 2.0.4

"
Funkdubious wrote:
"
kcstar wrote:
I wish PoE ladder were more like old Diablo 2 ladder... it was an epic grind for month. There were three teams... EU, RU and US batteling for #1... even our game magazines had news about the ladder.

Now you watch HVC... he reaches lvl 100 and says... "oh... cool". It's nothing special. Even lvl 100 in 2-3month would be too fast to bring back the excitement.

... lets face it: What is the goal of a temp league? If not for the race, you can do everything (and more via legacy stuff) in permanent leagues. Temp leagues are nothing else than "PoE Betatesting" while everyone thinks there is no ongoing beta -.-

There are a number of possible points of the temp leagues. For you it is racing, and for me it is to get a fresh economy and an excuse for a new build, for others it is trying new league mods or getting league-specific uniques. Standard trading is like watching paint dry unless you're only buying and selling mirrored and rare legacies.

I personally don't have any interest in the race to 100, as it is basically a system of who can crowdsource XP faster. I just enjoy the active trading environment of a fresh league and the fact that it gives me a reason to try a new build and burn currency without the permanence of a league that never ends (in standard if I decide to try a build and it doesn't work out, it becomes a currency sink that isn't readily replenishable - good luck reselling mid-range niche gear to make your orbs back in standard).

I don't play temp leagues, so racing isn't for me ;) ... but it's for the majority.

Ok, a fresh start of the economy for... two weeks, until everything becomes stale again (except there are no Legacys... until race rewards enter the leagues ^^) Everything else you name is the same as in permanent leagues. You need an excuse to start a build, fair enough. By the way... the fresh start and trading hype shows one of PoE's biggest porblems (atm) -> the whole trading system aka poe.trade and forum indexing + /trade 1 spam ...
Have a problem with something I said? PM goetzjam don't derail a thread.
'There's plenty that needs to change. And back in my day we had real game devs.' - TheAnuhart
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on February 30, 2016 0:61 PM

Help Charan color the board - use [u color] to make your posts shine.
"
kcstar wrote:
I don't play temp leagues, so racing isn't for me ;) ... but it's for the majority.

Ok, a fresh start of the economy for... two weeks, until everything becomes stale again (except there are no Legacys... until race rewards enter the leagues ^^) Everything else you name is the same as in permanent leagues. You need an excuse to start a build, fair enough. By the way... the fresh start and trading hype shows one of PoE's biggest porblems (atm) -> the whole trading system aka poe.trade and forum indexing + /trade 1 spam ...

Yeah, I do definitely agree with you on the problem with trading market getting stale in temp leagues pretty quickly (though I find the trading gets stale about 1 month in, rather than ~2 weeks). However, I find it easier to acquire items that I want to drag back to play around with in standard in the temp leagues - I find it a chore to make 20-30 ex for a good 6l in standard, but no issue to pull the 12-15 ex for the same 6L item in a temp league within a couple of weeks of casual trading. Early on in the leagues you can hit a jackpot drop (standard there are no jackpot drops due to how many items are already in the item pool), sell that jackpot item, buy up a couple copies of some of the league-only uniques that have interesting mods on them, and then resell them at the end of the league for a big profit to people who want to ID them for challenges or bring them over to standard and sell all but one (personal collection) for a solid profit.

I honestly don't mind poe.xyz and the current trading setup, but I know a lot of people really hate it. I'd be quite happy being able to set up a shop in game or setting items for sale while I'm offline, etc. Maybe they'll address it sometime in the future (... maybe haha).
"
Funkdubious wrote:
"
kcstar wrote:

Yeah, I do definitely agree with you on the problem with trading market getting stale in temp leagues pretty quickly (though I find the trading gets stale about 1 month in, rather than ~2 weeks). However, I find it easier to acquire items that I want to drag back to play around with in standard in the temp leagues - I find it a chore to make 20-30 ex for a good 6l in standard, but no issue to pull the 12-15 ex for the same 6L item in a temp league within a couple of weeks of casual trading. Early on in the leagues you can hit a jackpot drop (standard there are no jackpot drops due to how many items are already in the item pool), sell that jackpot item, buy up a couple copies of some of the league-only uniques that have interesting mods on them, and then resell them at the end of the league for a big profit to people who want to ID them for challenges or bring them over to standard and sell all but one (personal collection) for a solid profit.

I honestly don't mind poe.xyz and the current trading setup, but I know a lot of people really hate it. I'd be quite happy being able to set up a shop in game or setting items for sale while I'm offline, etc. Maybe they'll address it sometime in the future (... maybe haha).

temp league: fresh start for 2-4 weeks, prices drop very quickly - players too... advantage: you get items cheap for your permanent characters.

perm league: no trading because of... legacy items. Everything else is worthless... I love my legacy items, but... they are the biggest mistake GGG ever made. Legacy items and Mirror's.
Whole game is: Grind the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over ... until you have enough currency to buy one item... or a mirror. GZ ^^ ... no neeed to craft anything. Just grind and buy :)
'There's plenty that needs to change. And back in my day we had real game devs.' - TheAnuhart

"
kcstar wrote:
Legacy items and Mirror's.

As a player who only plays in temporary leagues, I don't play in standard solely because of these two things. There's something extremely off-putting about threads where someone is allowing you a copy of your item for the easy price of 100 exalts + a 300 exalt item. Or, even worse, when I am looking up a build guide and they're like, hey you really need a legacy koams for this to work. WTF? Why should I need to buy an item that doesn't drop anymore, hell why do they even exist?

I'm sure a lot of players would be upset that their legacy items got worse, but I think legacy items are the single biggest drawback to pulling in new players.
"
kcstar wrote:
temp league: fresh start for 2-4 weeks, prices drop very quickly - players too... advantage: you get items cheap for your permanent characters.

perm league: no trading because of... legacy items. Everything else is worthless... I love my legacy items, but... they are the biggest mistake GGG ever made. Legacy items and Mirror's.
Whole game is: Grind the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over ... until you have enough currency to buy one item... or a mirror. GZ ^^ ... no neeed to craft anything. Just grind and buy :)

Haha, I hear ya - I love my legacy items, too - and certainly wouldn't trade any away unless I had duplicates, but they are a huge mistake for the perm economy for sure, and mirrors are a total monstrosity. If they really must exist in GGG's game, they should only be able to mirror an item once.

A primary reason for playing leagues for me is to get items that I expect to go legacy for cheap (ie. Taste of Hate), as well as buying multiples of league-only uniques to resell in standard later when I want to make standard builds.

You're also right about how fast league player numbers drop off - it is seriously like a cliff after 3 weeks-1 month, and the last few weeks of a league is like a ghost town.
Last edited by Funkdubious on Sep 24, 2015, 2:52:23 PM
They should have just reset the whole standard/hc permanent leagues with 2.0 release. It's like bad software, sure you can forever spend time making it backwards compatible(older windows) or be forceful(ie apple products) and drop old and move to new. And reset could have been handled by making standard/hc into legacy leagues. You want to play with your kaom's +1000 hp, sure, stay in that league and play.
"
"
kcstar wrote:
Legacy items and Mirror's.

As a player who only plays in temporary leagues, I don't play in standard solely because of these two things. There's something extremely off-putting about threads where someone is allowing you a copy of your item for the easy price of 100 exalts + a 300 exalt item. Or, even worse, when I am looking up a build guide and they're like, hey you really need a legacy koams for this to work. WTF? Why should I need to buy an item that doesn't drop anymore, hell why do they even exist?

I'm sure a lot of players would be upset that their legacy items got worse, but I think legacy items are the single biggest drawback to pulling in new players.

+++
Neden yaşıyorsun?
"
kcstar wrote:

Uh...are you ignoring the biggest part of the temp leagues--the new mechanics? Sure, Warbands was kinda underdone, but stuff like Bloodlines and Nemesis and Beyond and Rogue Exiles all came from temp leagues.
FYI: It's not a fantasy story, it's a cosmic horror story.
"
Loreweaver wrote:
"
kcstar wrote:

Uh...are you ignoring the biggest part of the temp leagues--the new mechanics? Sure, Warbands was kinda underdone, but stuff like Bloodlines and Nemesis and Beyond and Rogue Exiles all came from temp leagues.

No, I am not ignoring "the new mechanics". That's why I call it "betatest leagues". Name a league that was fun outside of maps... can't really remember, they were all annoying in "normal play" and become more or less "fun" in maps. If you play this game for some time... just invest in Zana mods... check out the new mods in maps, with all your well geared characters.

If anyone really likes the trading part... fair enough, that's the biggest advantage of any temp league... the rest? Nothing else than standard game with annoying leveling part and without legacy items...

MMMM, I would even say that making the stats on previous legacy versions of gear part of the roll for some uniques would even be worth it. Want that super bad ass Soul Taker? Then you can try and get it but there will be a hard cliff statistically to roll above a certain tier. I do think they should be able to still be obtained through strain and cost. Breaking the game is fun, but should be a strive to do when all your gear and items are at their peak performance. Legacy BoR isn't nearly as broken as it was made out to be and was only so because of Dodge/Spelldodge/Block/Spellblock stacking.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info