~|-|~Fiery totems~|-|~ dual Flame totem guide with EB/MoM/ AA (added 67-68 map videos)

"
Deadpeng wrote:
"
Have you tested "Added Lightning Damage" over "Added Chaos Damage"?!
Cuz I'm also playing a dual flame totem build and really would like to know if it's better cuz you can shock stack mobs easy. :)

Shock happens only when critical hits with lightning damage are dealt. Templar has very few increased critical strike nodes and equipping increased critical strikes just for shock would mean more lose than gain.

Assuming that templar s critical strikes are pathetic. Added chaos damage is in everyway better.

its true indeed that the templar's side of the tree isnt that great for crits and that you also dont have a very high crit chance BUT I found that you still crit quiet often (suprisingly) with ur flame totems + GMP... but I will take ur advise and add "added chaos dmg." :)

Much apreciated! :)
Trying to satisfy the whole PoE community is like telling a nymphomaniac to only have sex once in a week.

I think that's fairly accurate. :')
"
"
Deadpeng wrote:
"
Have you tested "Added Lightning Damage" over "Added Chaos Damage"?!
Cuz I'm also playing a dual flame totem build and really would like to know if it's better cuz you can shock stack mobs easy. :)

Shock happens only when critical hits with lightning damage are dealt. Templar has very few increased critical strike nodes and equipping increased critical strikes just for shock would mean more lose than gain.

Assuming that templar s critical strikes are pathetic. Added chaos damage is in everyway better.

its true indeed that the templar's side of the tree isnt that great for crits and that you also dont have a very high crit chance BUT I found that you still crit quiet often (suprisingly) with ur flame totems + GMP... but I will take ur advise and add "added chaos dmg." :)

Much apreciated! :)

There are other ways of shocking as well, such as a q20 added lightning damage and static blows/10% shock chance node. This is an easier way than to get enough crit chance/multiplier to shock stack via crits.

But, flame totem already has a 20% damage effectiveness, and GMP cuts our damage by another 50%. Therefore, the lightning damage will be cut to around 1/10th of the base dmg provided by the support gem.

With such little lightning damage, while we may still be able to shock enemies quick, the shock duration will be so little it won't be worth it, and near impossible to get shock stacks on rares/bosses for the same reason. Added chaos is chosen because it reduces the damage totems takes from elemental reflect, and also goes through energy shield, so is nice to have on enemies like gravicius who have a ton of ES.

Check here for shock duration calculation (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Shock)

However, there is possibly a much much better way to get shock statcks for flame totem/incinerate builds.
It is called the "The three dragons" (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Three_Dragons)
With this helm, we can get the static blow, 10% chance to shock nodes AND a q20 lightning damage gem to get 30% chance to shock, BUT in this case the shock will be caused by fire damage instead of lightning damage, so the shock duration will be noticeable. Not to mention that the added lightning damage in this case will cause the occasional freeze.

This looks like a godly unique for any flame totem build. I am trying to get my hands on one presently, and will test it out.
yep, flame totems crits very often. I have 20 percent crit chance and I crit and shock every single mob\rare. Bosses sometimes gets shocked I think.. They die too fast most of the time anyways lol. I have 11k with LMP tooltip DPS with flame totems and I think near 9k tooltip with GMP (20/20) if I can sustain the mana costs.

With the three dragons helmet, I believe I'll be able to shock bosses easily since my fire damage alone is like 40-500 with a 700 percent multiplier which would increase that to 280-3500 on every crit.
Last edited by AnaVite on Mar 19, 2014, 1:32:53 AM
"
AnaVite wrote:
yep, flame totems crits very often. I have 20 percent crit chance and I crit and shock every single mob\rare. Bosses sometimes gets shocked I think.. They die too fast most of the time anyways lol. I have 11k with LMP tooltip DPS with flame totems and I think near 9k tooltip with GMP (20/20) if I can sustain the mana costs.

With the three dragons helmet, I believe I'll be able to shock bosses easily since my fire damage alone is like 40-500 with a 700 percent multiplier which would increase that to 280-3500 on every crit.

9k tooltip dps with gmp?! :O
Thats pretty amazing. I am only getting around 1.5 k tooltip. Is urs a crit spec or non-crit spec?
yep, spec for crit. Only have 20-22 crit chance without power charges. With 4 power charges, it bumps the dps to 13k with lmp but it isn't necessary since you'll still crit very often with 16-20 percent range (haven't tried any lower crit chance)

the gems I'm using is flame totem lmp faster casting added lightning crit multiplier and IIQ.
If I drop iiq I can gain a bit more dps but the mana cost will be very high.
Last edited by AnaVite on Mar 20, 2014, 1:28:42 AM
"
AnaVite wrote:
yep, spec for crit. Only have 20-22 crit chance without power charges. With 4 power charges, it bumps the dps to 13k with lmp but it isn't necessary since you'll still crit very often with 16-20 percent range (haven't tried any lower crit chance)

the gems I'm using is flame totem lmp faster casting added lightning crit multiplier and IIQ.
If I drop iiq I can gain a bit more dps but the mana cost will be very high.

Ah cool. Its impossible to get that kind of tooltip dps without a big crit mult bonus :)
Three dragons will substantially increase ur shock duration I'm guessing. Flame totem with shock/freeze, now won't that be cool :D
How does damage scaling work for this flame totem build compared to searing? Will it hit a point like SB where it's almost impossible to increase damage further?
"
Vulpix0r wrote:
How does damage scaling work for this flame totem build compared to searing? Will it hit a point like SB where it's almost impossible to increase damage further?

It does in fact happen once ur flame totem and added chaos dmg will hit lvl 20. After that, only way to increase dps will be through gear upgrades, and probably upgrading to a 6 link.

Can't vouch for this yet since I have not had any map drops higher than 69 as of yet, and my gems still lvl 17-18.
What's your thoughts on going into the Sovereignty nodes in hopes of running Discipline to expand your mana pool thereby increasing your defense and spam casting abilities?
400 ish crit multiplier is easily obtainable and will only lose like 1k dps from what I currently have (700). Low life increases the dps of flame totems by a lot and maps are viable if you don't encounter chaos mobs unless you have shavarrones.

your build is cheap and effective but if you have money to blow then go low life + crit :)
Last edited by AnaVite on Mar 20, 2014, 12:59:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info