[3.25]🔥Fire Slamming Chieftain🔥 (Tectonic Slam / Volcanic Fissure / Consecrated Path / ANY SLAM)

Hey there! Welcome to my guide!

With the 3.25 Melee Buffs, slams have finally returned to being viable but most builds released by content creators focused on the tried and tested Earthshatter and Ground Slam physical variants. But what if you wanted to play some elemental, fiery slams? This build is for you!

Overview
This is a hit-based (NOT ignite) fire slam build focused on scaling Warcry buffs and slamming huge AoEs with moderate attack speed (most "meta" slam builds fully commit to attack speed to maximize damage). While it was written with Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm in mind (which needs additional Endurance Charge management), ANY slam skill can be used (yes, physical slams included). In fact, we can even fully convert Ice Crash! (check the FAQ for instructions)

This build has two variants: Resolute Technique and Critical. Both are viable for all endgame content. Thanks to some warcry changes in 3.25, the swap to the critical variant can be done pretty early.

If you just want to play fast attack speed but with fire damage instead of physical, I have the steps needed to transform any slam build into a fire one in the FAQ section. However, I find that playstyle weaker as it not synergizes with Chieftain's innate strengths.

PoB link
Optimized Endgame Mace Build: https://pobb.in/WbLDi_yyZxk7
(Read NOTES at the bottom, Infernal Cry seems to be bugged)
This is not a fully minmaxed build as I moved on to the Crit variant

My character's progression: https://pobb.in/PLOjbOA1Nqw3
NOTE: this is based on my own character, whom I've league started with and played all the way until now (and will continue to play and update). After reaching maps I decided to start making a separate loadout (tree, items, skills and settings) every time I made a significant upgrade, I called them Milestones. If you want to see how I upgraded my build make sure to go through
the loadouts so the passive tree, skills and items do not get out of sync.

In the future I will be adding a levelling setup since I gathered experience on what this build needs after I've played it for so long.

Introduction
This is my first guide, however I poured lots of hours into testing the build. I didn't see any updated build for Tectonic Slam (and the other fire slams) which is probably my favorite skill in the game, so I decided to write this guide.

I also want to make this guide beginner-friendly by explaining all the mechanics we use and how they interact with each other in great detail. The goal would be to have a first-time PoE player learn and enjoy the game by following this guide.

Inspiration
This guide was inspired by: Jenno's One Shot Tectonic Slam Chieftain and frawrst's Warbringer Slaming Serker (which was the first melee build I ever played back in Heist league). It was also inspired by Hoon's video (it's in Korean but has English subtitles) where he tried to make Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm Ignite work.

This build could be viewed as the spiritual successor of the One-Shot Tectonic Slam build, which had a really nice guide but stopped being updated a few leagues ago (back when slams were pretty much dead) and contains many outdated mechanics, the biggest ones being the Chieftain ascendancy (which has been completely reworked) and the addition of Eldritch Implicits which makes gear much more streamlined. UPDATE: "One Shot Tectonic Slam Chieftain" is back to being updated, I recommend checking it out as well!

The second build is probably the most popular Slam guide on the forums and a lot of fun to play, but focuses on physical slams with the Berserker Ascendancy which has unique features and problems to solve. Different ascendancies, skills and playstyles are talked about in that build's FAQ section, and this guide expands on those ideas!

Content cleared
All Ubers
The Feared
Juiced T17 Maps (with their Bosses)
Simulacrum (all waves)
100% Delirious Juiced T16 Maps
13(T16)/10(T17) Round Ultimatums with Trialmaster fight

To do:
Valdo Maps

Video Showcase
Ubers:
Uber Shaper
Uber Venarius(Cortex)
Uber Uber Elder
Uber Sirus
Uber Exarch
Uber Eater
Uber Maven
Warning: it's the first time I ever fought Ubers, I died a couple of times due to not being used to how much damage these guys do on the Uber version. Maven and Exarch were done second try due to me disrespecting their mechanics the first time. Funnily enough the only Ubers I didn't die to were Venarius (expected) and Sirus, this build kinda counters him and I had enough damage to phase him fast.

The Feared

Pros and Cons
Pros
Hugely satisfying, meaty AoE waves, especially with Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm
Really tanky: 90% max ele res and 6+ endurance charges
Easy resist gearing for League Start and for beginners
Good scaling throughout the whole game, there are upgrade paths at every point
Damage can scale to insane damage numbers (100M slam with a couple dozen divs)

Neutral
Moderate attack speed (can die while slamming but we have some tricks up our sleeves)
While tanky, we do no evasion/suppression/conversion tricks, so need to absorb all the hits like a man (or use staves for block). This is fine for most encounters but we are weak to elemental penetration.

Cons
Melee is still considered weaker than ranged builds
Not a 1-button build: need to manually cast at least 2 Warcries (3 with the crit variant) + Berserk (optional)
Physical variants are smoother and usually give the same or better DPS numbers , but in my opinion they're not as satisfying to play (Earthshatter 2 stronk)
Not "True Melee" (I find this term funny, but some people consider high AoE playstyle as not being Melee since you don't have to be in the opponent's face)

Disclaimer
Spoiler
Take these Pros and Cons with a grain of salt. I currently have around 1000 hours in this game and while I'm not a beginner, I don't play a lot of builds either. So when I say this build is tanky I'm basing it on my own feeling as I don't have a lot of experience with other stuff.

Some things about me: I'm the type of player that likes playing a single build over an entire league since I don't enjoy running through the acts. I also take long breaks from the game, I usually play one league per year but I play it pretty intensely.

Changes in 3.25 that led to the creation of this build
Tawhoa's Chosen was replaced by Sione, Sun's Roar (Warcries have infinite power and 30% increased Warcry Buff effect) which is a much better notable (although I really liked the old passive thematic it did not scale with anything). Chieftain finally has no "dead" nodes (though I'd argue they're still a bit weak)

Infernal Cry's effect was changed from Covering enemies in Ash to Gain Phys as Extra Fire. Other Warcries got their buffs changed around as well.

Ancestor totems were finally removed (I think they should have kept them but just not give mandatory melee buffs), making Fist of War builds better due to not having to miss on the strong Ancestral Protector buff for Attack Speed.

Overexertion and Autoexertion were added, providing some much needed damage and QoL.

Thanks to these changes, a new archetype became possible: a slower (NOT unviable slow) attacking slammer focused on Fist of War and Warcry Buffs. With just the Warcry duration nodes on the tree, we can maintain permanent uptime of our strong Warcry buffs as long as we keep Warcrying.

Main Mechanics
Offensive Layers
Exerted Attacks + Overexertion support + Echoes of Creation helmet (optional)
Physical to fire conversion + Gain physical as extra fire
Fire Penetration
Rage (perma-Rage capped for a free 40% more damage)
Warcry Buff effect (Infernal Cry and Battlemage's Cry)
Frenzy Charges
Endurance charges (when using Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm, Consecrated Path of Endurance or Endurance Charge on Melee Stun support)
Critical Strikes (when going crit route)

Defensive Layers
90% max elemental resistances (thanks to Valako's Storm Embrace)
6+ Endurance Charges (buffed in 3.25 to be extremely strong)
Fortify
Armour + Take phys as elemental
High Life Regen
Capped Chaos resistance
Warcry Buff effect (Enduring Cry and Seismic Cry)
All elemental ailments immunity, stun immunity (can also just do chill, freeze and shock only on low investment and we're unaffected by ignite thanks to Tasalio, Cleansing Water)
Debilitation (enemies deal 10% less dmg, optional as Warcry Mastery)
Chill on Hit (optional if using Maces)
Block/Life on Block (if using Staves)
Consecrated Ground (only some variants)
Honourable mention: Huge AoE

Utility Layers
Permanent Onslaught
Frenzy Charges
Movement Speed (Intimidating Cry Buff)
Endurance Charges (More AoE/Branching Chance when using Tectonic Slam, Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm or Consecrated Path of Endurance)

Detailed Warcry Buff interactions
Warcries have infinite power. This means that we can benefit from Warcry buffs even without an enemy in range. This has several interactions:
Enduring Cry will always give us 10% life regenerated per second and maximum endurance charges, no matter what our max endurance charge cap is!
Infernal Cry will always give 25% phys as extra fire
Battlemage's Cry will always give +2.5% to Critical Strike Chance (this allows as to go get crit chance capped with minimal investment)
With the Rage mastery allocated, each warcry gives 5 Rage, making us Rage-capped
Vengeful Cry (optional) gives 25 temporary max Rage
Intimidating Cry and Seismic Cry will give 18% increased movement speed and 25% more armour (and 75% increased stun threshold), respectively. But we're usually autoexerting at least one of these.
Rallying Cry has no useful buffs, so it can be autoexerted. However when manually cast it give 5% more dmg per ally affected.

These are just the baseline buffs, when we get "Increased Warcry Buff Effect" stats we will scale these effects. The endgame build has around 100% increased warcry buff effect, so you can double the values I've written above.

EDIT: Infernal Cry seems to not be scaled by Warcry Buff Effect. I'm pretty sure it is a bug but I'll guess we have to wait for the next League to see GGG's response. It's a bummer since it was our main damage buff.

When using Medium Cluster Jewels for exerted damage some notables become really strong as well:
Warning Call will always give us 100% increased Armour
Mob Mentality will always give use one RANDOM charge (power, frenzy, endurance) every time we Warcry. This allows us to easily be power and frenzy charge capped as well without any other investment.

Ascendancy Overview
Sione, Sun's Roar: a welcomed newcomer, this provides huge QoL to our Warcries. In my opinion I think it's slightly underpowered but I need to play other ascendancies to see how useful this is. It replaced Tawhoa, Forest Strength, if you want to test the old node to see how it felt check the "Tawhoa's Felling" Weapon.

Tukohama, War's Herald: free Fist of War support, essentially making our main skill a 7-link. Fist of War is one of the more unique support gems in the game and I love it since it looks so cool. It becomes stronger if we attack slower and hard, and since we're not going for (too much) attack speed we can get it every 2nd or 3rd attack, giving us between 30-50% more damage. All in all a solid node if a bit boring since it just gives a support gem instead of a unique effect.

Tasalio, Cleansing Water: makes capping elemental resistances really easy by stacking fire resist only. Gearing during levelling becomes very comfortable. In the endgame it gets a bit outscaled since capping resists is not that hard, but it still frees us some spots to get other defensive or offensive stats in place of the elemental resistances. Unaffected by Ignite is also one less headache to solve when playing.

Valako's, Storm's Embrace: the strongest Chieftain node, so strong that probably all Chieftain builds take it no matter what they do. Maximum elemental resistance is one of the strongest defensive mechanics in the game, and with this node we can get to 90% max elemental resist (you can't go over 90%) by just investing in maximum fire resistance. Since the normal cap is 75%, the problem to solve is finding how to get 15% maximum fire resistance. (Check the PoB or "Problems + Solutions" section below for ways to achieve it.)

The other nodes are not that good for our build, we're not doing ignite or strength stacking and we don't need explode nodes since we're exploding enemies with our raw strength hehe.

I still have some problems with the Chieftain Ascendancy rework, if you enjoy reading rants you can find it in the "Problems + Solutions" section below

Gear
Foreword: Common stats we're looking for in our items
Playing Chieftain makes basic gearing a breeze, focus on high Life + high Fire Resist rolls. This opens up many slots for Chaos resistance and Attributes. Your bread and butter benchcrafts should be:
Prefixes: Life, Armour
Suffixes: Fire + Chaos Res, Attributes, Fire + Cold/Lightning Res
Items like these with high-tier affixes can carry you all the way to Atlas Bosses.

IMPORTANT TRICK TO KEEP IN MIND, ESPECIALLY FOR CHIEFTAIN
You can use Harvest Crafting to swap resistances from items. This means you can convert them to Fire Resistance to get both Cold and Lightning Resistance.

For example: swapping 48% Cold Resistance will give you 48% (may not be the exact number but close) Fire Resistance, 24% Cold and 24% Lightning Resistance. This is really good, just keep in mind that your swapped resistance will basically get halved when switching from Cold/Lightning to Fire so you don't get accidentally undercapped (sometimes it's ok to keep a high non-Fire Resistance roll).

Note: you cannot convert multi-resistance suffixes.

Weapon
Use the highest physical DPS (pDPS) two-handed weapon you have. An important tip is to focus on having better prefixes and a mediocre attack speed rather than mediocre prefixes a good Attack Speed suffix.

You can just craft Attack Speed so it doesn't feel bad, but no need to look for T1/T2 Attack Speed (Pro Tip: if you need some attributes you can even craft the Attack Speed + Dex and Int).
Detailed reasoning for the affixes
High attack speed adds a lot of theoretical pDPS to a weapon, but it doesn't scale well with our build since it:
- decreases Fist of War procs
- we have a limited number of Exerted Attacks, especially Intimidating Cry.
- Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm consumes all Endurance Charges per attack, so we need some downtime to build them back up.

For pDPS only 3 prefixes are important: flat phys, % increased phys, and hybrid %increased phys + accuracy. My general rule is, an endgame-ready weapon should have all these prefixes with a T3 average (so maybe T3 flat, T2 inc. phys + T4 hybrid phys).

For a large part of our journey we won't be using any weapon specific nodes, so you can just equip the highest pDPS weapon you have available.

Weapon Types Overview
Each Weapon type has a particular identity (expressed in PoE through weapon implicits or nodes on the tree). Here is a brief overview:

Mace: AoE, Stun, low Attack Speed + high Damage
Unique Traits: Can inflict Chill regardless of damage type (Mace Mastery), Fortify On Hit Cluster Jewel Notable, Impact Force Propagator Special Base (really strong for Slam builds)

Warstaff: Crit (high base crit on weapons + good nodes on tree: "Counterweight", "Blunt Trauma", "Serpent Stance"), Block, low to medium Attack Speed + high Damage
Unique Traits: Can also roll some Caster modifiers (not as many as Staves) especially Mana which makes crafting them harder, high Int Requirement, Fortify On Hit Cluster Jewel Notable, Eventuality Rod Special Base (highest potential damage base type for this build)

Axe: considered the most viable weapon type due to having good nodes and good bases for both low and high attack speed variants, overall it's medium to high Attack Speed + medium to high Damage (usually the best combination for high pDPS)
Unique Traits: Corpse Removal (Axe Mastery), Onslaught on Kill, Rage on hit (not as important since the changes in 3.25), some Impale and Crit support, moderate Dex Requirement

Sword: Accuracy, Critical Multiplier, high Attack Speed + low Damage
Unique Traits: More suited for Strikes than Slams, some Slams and Support Gems do not even work with a Sword weapon (Earthquake, Earthshatter, Ground Slam, Sunder, Volcanic Fissure, Shockwave Support), high Dex Requirement

The weapon type becomes important when deciding if you want to go Crit and which defensive and utility aspects you wish to spec into. For the Resolute Technique path I chose Maces and for the Crit path I went with Warstaves.

With these weapons we can get Fortify easily through the "Overlord" Cluster Jewel notable, freeing up passive points and a support gem for more overall damage.

Mace / Resolute Technique

Maces are not that popular but it only feels natural to use them with the big boy slam playstyle we're doing. As a benefit we have access to Chill through the Mace Mastery (All damage with Maces and Sceptres inflict Chill) without needing to deal cold damage, which is a strong defensive layer (up to 30% reduced action speed for enemies).

We can also get increased AoE at the same time through the "Bone Breaker" node. A neat interaction is that the AoE also increases our Warcries' Taunt Range (important for the Intimidating Cry effect or non-Chieftain builds to get more overall Power).

Aside from attack speed, other suffixes are mostly "filler" but if you have an open slot or you're able to multi-mod the item craft the "Increased Damage per Endurance Charge", Attributes (Dex or Int) or even some resistances.

A good reason to go maces in 3.25 is the new rune enchant: "Gain 30-50% of Weapon Physical Damage as Extra Damage of each Element". It can give up to 60% more damage! Only do this if the cost of Power Runes is worth it over upgrading to a better weapon (I recommend doing this only on a weapon that can reach 1000+ pDPS with no enchantments).
Warstaff / Critical
Warstaves have strong crit synergy while also giving access to Block. The only problem is that they're much harder to craft than Maces and Axes. As such, you'll see Warstaves be much more expensive than their counterparts at the same pDPS levels. This starts to somewhat equalize at high pDPS.

For Warstaves suffixes become more important. You still want attack speed so the attack time is good, but you're also looking for Crit Chance and Crit Multi. If you're trying to search for those mods the price can skyrocket, but you can easily get (only) one of them by multi-modding, adding both Attack Speed and a Crit suffix of your choice. I recommend Crit Multi as you have enough Crit Chance to get to almost 100% without the suffix. You can also craft Accuracy if you're struggling to get to 100% hit chance.

A min-maxed Warstaff will usually have (aside from perfect prefixes): T2/T1 Attack Speed, a "Crit Multi while a Rare or Unique enemy is Nearby" Veiled Craft, and a crafted "Crit Chance and Str + Int".

You can also buy/craft a Warstaff with the "Hits can't be evaded" prefix and not worry about Accuracy at all. You can check the "One-shot Tectonic Slam" guide as it has more details on how to craft it.
What about Axes?
Axes are pretty good too and versatile, but you'll need to:
- Get a Fortify source: either use Fortify Support or allocate 5 passive points for the Steadfast node and get the Fortify Mastery "Melee Hits Fortify/-3 to maximum Fortification",
- Swap the Overlord Cluster Jewel. I recommend using "Two-Handed", not "Axe and Sword" Cluster Jewels as their notables are not as good for our build.

You can also try to go the Crit route but with Axes instead of Warstaves, by using the Power Rune runecraft that makes Crits ignore enemy resistances (check the Runecrafts Section below), be warned though that I haven't tested it yet.
Early Uniques
Ngamahu's Flame is the ultimate roleplaying weapon and is pretty much made for this build. Unfortunately it gets outscaled by rare weapons.
Kaom's Primacy is another roleplaying weapon.
Tawhoa's Felling is a decent weapon and allows you to experience the Chieftain node that got replaced (Tawhoa, Forest's Strength).
Tidebreaker gives good damage and much needed Intelligence.

Note: do not socket your slam into the weapon if you're playing Chieftain. You need your slam socketed in the Body Armour for the free Fist of War Support.

Important thing to keep in mind for armour pieces
Helmets, Gloves and Boots have an interesting design: each of them has a main affinity to an attribute/element and related affixes:
Helmets: Intelligence, Power Charges, Lightning
Gloves: Dexterity, Frenzy Charges, Cold
Boots: Strength, Endurance Charges, Fire

This means a few things:
An armour item cannot roll an attribute it doesn't have affinity to unless it has that attribute as a requirement. For example Boots can only naturally roll Strength but a pair of Boots that give Evasion (and also require Dex) will also be able to roll Dexterity. You can also force an attribute using an Essence.

The Charge related affixes are usually harder to obtain, mostly comprising of Influenced modifiers or special implicits such as Corruptions. For example, a Warlord modifier gives "+1 to maximum Endurance Charges" on Boots, but on a pair of Gloves the equivalent affix will give "+1 to maximum Frenzy Charges".

This is usually not that important to know, however my build is using an unique Helmet and Amulet, so getting the required Dex and Int on a budget may be tricky. We also have some interesting things we can do with the Boots.

Helmet

If you need extra Intelligence, helmets are a good place to get it cheap (if you read the previous section you know why!). Don't buy an expensive helmet or waste lots of ichors/embers on implicits as we will be switching to Echoes of Creation pretty fast.
Eldritch Implicits (from most generally powerful to situational)
Searing Exarch:
#% increased Flammability Curse Effect
#% reduced Mana Cost of Attacks
#% increased Area of Effect

Eater of Worlds:
#% of Physical Damage from Hits Taken as Fire/Cold/Lightning
Damage Penetrates #% Fire Resistance
#% increased Attack Damage
#% increased Mana Reservation of Skills
#% reduced Effect of Shock on you

Echoes of Creation is one of the strongest power-ups for this build. It works exactly as Overexertion Support but it's not the same effect, so they multiply each other. Make sure you socket all warcries that give exerts to your attacks, since at maximum exerts (5: Infernal + Intimidating + Seismic + Rallying + Battlemage) this helmet give 75% MORE DAMAGE.

It also gives +1 Cooldown Use to socketed Warcries (has no synergy with Autoexertion). Aside from giving a lot of comfort to the manual warcry rotation, this also allows a higher uptime on Intimidating Cry (because it has a really low amount of exerts) and higher DPS.

A big drawback is that you take a chunk of your life for EACH Warcry exerting your attack. With 5 warcries it means you take 75-100% (depending on the roll) of your life as physical damage every time you slam. Thankfully, this happens before resistance calculation, so we can use our high defenses to almost nullify this effect. Check the "Echoes of Creation checklist so you don't Oneshot yourself" in the FAQ section below.

Gloves

Searing Exarch:
Adds # to # Physical Damage to Attacks
Adds # to # Fire Damage to Attacks
#% increased Damage per Frenzy Charge (good but only after allocating Mob Mentality)
#% increased Critical Strike Chance for Attacks (only when going Crit)
#% increased Attack Speed

Eater of Worlds:
Inflict Fire Exposure on Hit, applying -#% to Fire Resistance*
#% increased Global Accuracy Rating (only when going Crit)
Exerted Attacks deal #% increased Damage
#% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage

* MUST HAVE unless you have an alternative way to apply Fire Exposure such as Lvl 5 Awakened Fire Penetration Support Gem

Gloves do not have many special affixes we're looking for, serving mostly as a life/resists/armour/flex slot. Some Gloves-exclusive stuff you're looking for:
- #% Increased Damage while Leeching: strong benchcraft
- Accuracy: make sure to get a T1 suffix when you switch to Crit, we don't have many places we can get Accuracy from
- Attack Speed: not mandatory, only if you're really struggling with low attack speed
- Life regeneration rate: not Gloves-exclusive, luxury stat, really strong but usually makes the price jump a lot
- Dexterity is easier to roll (and cheaper if buying)

Boots

Boots are an important slot for us as it has many potentially strong modifiers for our build. We need Movement Speed on prefixes which complicates the whole process when moving to endgame items.
Searing Exarch:
+#% to maximum Fire Resistance
#% increased Damage per Endurance Charge
#% increased Action Speed
#% chance to Avoid being Shocked
Drops Sapped/Scorched Ground while moving, lasting # seconds

Eater of Worlds:
Regenerate #% of Life per second per Endurance Charge
#% increased Life Regeneration rate
Intimidating Cry has #% increased Cooldown Recovery Rate
Attacks Exerted by Seismic Cry deal #% increased Damage
#% increased Armour from Equipped Helmet and Gloves
#% increased Warcry Speed
#% chance to Avoid Elemental Ailments

Important benchcrafts for boots:
- #% increased Movement Speed, 100% chance to Avoid being Chilled: MUST HAVE unless you have other ways to get Chill Immunity (Check the FAQ section for ways of solving Elemental Ailments)
- #% increased Movement Speed, #% chance to gain Onslaught for 4 seconds on Kill: once you have Chill Immunity and no other ways to get Onslaught

The boots slot is also one of the easiest way to get Elemental Ailment Immunity. Check the FAQ section for more information about how it works and the Crafting section if you want to craft them yourself.

There are also some viable Uniques, however they usually give less defense and/or utility in exchange for damage or unique effects.

Unique Options
Death's Door: some basic resistances and movespeed, +1 to Max Endurance Charges is the main attraction
Legacy of Fury: Scorches nearby enemies (-10% all res but with the increased effect mod it's 13-15%) and gives an AoE burn spread effect
Annihilation's Approach: gives a unique skill where you take a big Fire DoT but have Adrenaline while taking damage. You need lots of fire res (ideally 90% which we're already aiming for) and extra elemental resistance, alongside some life regen. Adrenaline is a strong effect for both offense and defense. Chill and Freeze Immunity is a good extra bonus.
Ralakesh's Impatience: gives max charge effects without having to invest into charge generation. Our build has a lot of charge generation due to warcries and "Mob Mentality" on Cluster Jewels, but you can drop that notable. However it's true power lies in one of the two interactions.
Ralakesh's Impatience Special Interactions
1. Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm: prevents losing tankiness when consuming the Endurance Charges. However we still need some Endurance charge generation since you only get the damage buff if you CONSUME the charges.
2. Arn's Anguish: A Unique Belt that replaces your Endurance Charges with Brutal Charges, giving extra damage. Thanks to Ralakesh's unique effect you will still benefit from the endurance charge tankiness. DO NOT MIX with Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm, you will always consume 0 charges.

Any decent unique (or rare) boots with the Corrupted Implicit "+1 to maximum Endurance Charges" can also be very strong, especially if it's on the boots listed above.

A really strong affix for this build is the Warlord prefix "+1 to Maximum Endurance Charges". This is extremely hard to craft for budget versions. If you want to buy it I recommend just searching for the +1 mod, movement speed/life (maybe open prefix to craft the other) and some resists. This will already cost a bit. Don't get picky, get some decent boots at a good price and make up the lack of stats on your other items, but make sure it's not worse than just getting the "Death's Door" Unique, which is similar.

I got lucky and found the boots shown above (without the Life Regeneration Rate suffix) for 2 Divines, then hit a lucky Exalt for the T1 life regen rate.

At really high investment levels we can even use the elevated modifier for the bonus "10% chance to gain up to maximum endurance charges", but outside Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm it's probably not worth it.

Body Armour

Body Armour is where you get a big chunk of your Armour from (especially thanks to the changes in 3.25 which added new Base Types). You ideally want a Royal Plate with lots of Armour prefixes so you get at least 3000 (the more the better) Armour and the "#% additional Physical Damage Reduction" (PDR) suffix. Use Sacred Orbs if the base Armour roll is low (hold Alt to see the Armour Values Range)

Tip: Search/craft triple Armour prefixes with no Life Modifiers and get the Life Mastery ("15% increased maximum Life if there are no Life Modifiers on Equipped Body Armour"). Make sure you don't have Life Regen or other modifiers that still count as Life.

Searing Exarch:
+#% to maximum Fire Resistance (up to 3%)
+#% to all maximum Resistances (up to 2%, including Chaos)
#% of Damage taken Recouped as Life
#% increased Warcry Buff Effect
#% increased Fire/Global Physical Damage

Eater of Worlds:
#% of Physical Damage from Hits taken as Fire/Cold/Lightning Damage (prefer Fire)
#% increased Life Recovery rate
#% increased Armour
#% Chance to Block Spell/Attack Damage (only with Warstaves)

Belt

Belts have additional flask modifiers, but we're not too interested about that. Switch to a Stygian Vise as soon as you're able to since the Abyss Jewel adds a lot of flexibility and power.

Aside from the standard affixes, some good prefixes on Belts are Armour and increased Elemental Damage with Attacks. You can also craft "Warcries cannot exert Travel skills" to save one passive point.

If you're trying to max Shock Avoidance, you can use Essences of Torment on Belts instead of Boots (for example, if you're switching to "+1 to Max Endurance" Boots which are almost impossible to craft with Essences). The crafting steps are similar to the one for boots, except Fractured Stygian Vises are very expensive since they don't naturally occur, so it will be harder to guarantee multiple affixes on a budget. I got tired of crafting so I just bought a decent one with high Life and Armour (I need to switch to something with better affixes).

A high investment Stygian Vise will have the Elder/Hunter prefix "#% increased maximum Life" alongside T2/T1 Life. With Fertile Catalysts you get a ton of Life from a belt like this.

Abyss Jewel
For the Abyss Jewel, get Life and Shock Avoid Chance (if you're trying to get 100% avoidance using essence on boots/belt, make sure it adds up to 100%). If you're going Crit get at least 150+ Accuracy too.

Extra things to look for on an Abyss Jewel:
Affixes: attributes, resistances, armour, #% chance to gain Phasing on kill, other affixes that give benefits to the build (too many to list)
Also check for corrupted implicits, the most important is Corrupted Blood immunity but there are other good corruptions as well.

Amulet

Level using any Amulet with good stats, preferably Turqoise since we're pretty Dex and Int starved. Buy Xoph's Blood as soon as you can (it's pretty expensive at the start) because it carries us throughout the whole game. It's one of the only ways (that doesn't suck) in the game to still get "Covered in Ash" which is a strong debuff. On top of that it gives Fire Penetration and Life. It gives around 30% More Damage to the build.

The only problem is that Amulets are usually the easy way to solve Attribute requirements, but we have to get Intelligence and Dexterity from the rest of our gear instead.

Anointments
Vigour - if you're not pathing towards the Duelist area
Heart of Flame - biggest DPS for non-crit, but it's a bit expensive
Serpent Stance - biggest DPS for crit
Escalation - DPS close to Heart of Flame and much cheaper, a bit conditional but with our gameplay we can have perma 60% increased damage
Spirit Void/Essence Sap/Clever Thief - Early Game only, any of them works until you get Mana leech

Rings

Use Rings to get a lot of Attributes and Resistances for cheap (unless you want perfect rolls). Don't forget to use Catalysts. An important thing is to get the crafted prefix "Non-Channelling Skills have -7 to Total Mana Cost". Don't skip this since it solves a lot of the Mana cost problems. You can get it by doing Jun missions (Betrayal mechanic) and unveiling Rings from Elreon.

I'm considering switching to an Unset Ring (maybe even two) to squeeze in another Gem since there's lots of good skills that this build can use.

Ultra expensive Ring setup: A synthesised Ring with "+1 to Maximum Endurance Charges" implicit. This currently costs over 100 Divines. The good thing is that after you get a ring like this and craft it to be really good, you can basically double it through "Kalandra's Touch" (much cheaper).
Consider this as aspirational content (aka stuff that you probably won't get to but it can be fun grinding towards if you start getting rich).

Jewels
Low Budget: Focus on getting 2% Max Fire Resistance and any useful affixes (at least 1-2) to you.
Medium Budget: Get 2% Max Fire Res + 7% increased max Life. Can drop max life lower if they're too expensive. You can usually get at least 1 additional useful affix for about the same price.
High Budget: Same as Medium Budget, but add 2 useful affixes (for example double Crit Multi). If you're looking for expensive combos, like Mana Reservation Efficiency, Block, or Corrupted Blood Immunity, the price can skyrocket.

Jewels can be tricky to buy if you're not used to searching for them using "Count". Here is a search query already completed, by default it searches for jewels described Low Budget: click here. You can also check/uncheck different affixes and groups you may need for other budgets. There is also a separate group for Crit.

If you already have max Fire Resistance and still have slots left even after using Unique Jewels, fill the rest of the slots with Life + 2-3 useful affixes.

Unique Jewels:
Forbidden Flesh/Forbidden Flame - Unflinching: Really expensive but must have (in my opinion) if you want to use Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm. If you're playing other Slams I wouldn't get this as it's not worth 2 Jewel slots otherwise.
Stormshroud: Optional, but powerful way of becoming Elemental Ailment Immune, check the "Problems + Solutions" section for more details
The Light of Meaning: Adds a lot of damage when socketed near the "Stamina" notable (11% More damage on my PoB). Both Physical and Fire variants are equivalent, so choose the one that is cheaper.
Lethal Pride: Didn't test yet but can give lots of extra bonuses if rolled well.

The following are experimental and require some changes to the basic setup:
Watcher's Eye: we're not using any Auras but if you fit Determination you can get good defensive buffs
Sublime Vision: same as Watcher's Eye, but you get 1 Max Endurance Charge which is really good

Cluster Jewels
The most important upgrade is getting a Large Cluster Jewel for Mace and Staff Damage with Overlord, Fuel the Fight and another notable (make sure the first 2 notables are in the front towards the jewel sockets and not in the back, you can import in PoB and check).

This can be expensive at the start, so you can try to search for a 2 notable variant that has Overlord and Fuel the Fight. You will spend 2 more passive points in this case but for early game it's ok.

Next, get two Medium Cluster Jewels for Exerted Attacks with either 4 or 5 Passive Skills with the notables: Warning Call, Mob Mentality, Lead By Example, Haunting Shout (the last one is not that important and you can even leave it unallocated). The most expensive combination in the same Cluster is Mob Mentality and Warning Call so try to get them paired with the other Notables.

I recommend going for a second Large Cluster Jewel only when you have the funds to afford Jewels with both life and 2% Max Fire Res. There are multiple Cluster Jewel variants you can go for. Small passives add the same damage, the only difference is in notables. Here's a list of them in the order of strongest to weakest (make sure the 2 you want are in the path towards the jewel sockets):
Two Handed Melee Weapons/Mace and Staff Damage: Brutal Infamy (Two Handed only), Martial Prowess (if going Crit), Battlefield Dominator (Two Handed only), Calamitous, Feed the Fury, Devastator (this might be further up but I don't know how good the explode is)
Fire Damage: Cremator (must have for this Cluster), Smoking Remains, Master of Fire, Sadist

Flasks and Tinctures

Life Flask should have Instant/Half-Instant/Instant on Low Life Recovery Prefix and Bleeding + Corrupted Blood Immunity Suffix.

Tinctures are a pretty new Mechanic: they grant powerful effects to Melee Attacks (yay us). The downside is that, when active, they start draining your Mana faster over time.
Pro Tip: you can toggle off a Tincture whenever you want, you don't have to wait to run out of mana! (I didn't realise this until I was fighting Ubers lol).
For us the only Tincture we care about is the Prismatic one. I'm still testing Fulgurite but it's hard to make assumptions about Shock on PoB. The best Suffix is Elemental Penetration (max tier at iLvl 85+). Well rolled Tinctures are extremely powerful (the one showcased here gives me 30% MORE damage, and I didn't even hit the increased effect prefix).

Don't forget to quality your Flasks (increased duration) and Tinctures (increased effect). Use Instilling Orbs for automating your flask usage so you only have to use the Life Flask. "Used when Charges Reach Full" is the comfiest option.
The optimal Flask setup varies greatly depending on whether you are mapping or bossing:
Mapping/Generic
Quicksilver,
Granite,
Basalt,
Flex:
Ruby Flask until you have capped max resists,
Silver until you get Onslaught from boots or cluster Jewel.
Mana Flask with Enduring prefix if you have Mana issues or doing "Cannot leech" Maps.
After solving these problems, choose between Quartz for Phasing, Sulphur, Gold or Diamond (if you need extra Crit Chance to cap).
You can also try using a Tincture here, but I don't find it that useful when mapping

Prefixes are not so important here, for suffixes get any combinations of the following across your Flasks:
Increased Armour during Effect (best on either Granite or Basalt),
Reduced Effect of Curses on you during Effect,
Increased Movement Speed during Effect (best on Quicksilver),
#% chance to Freeze, Shock and Ignite during Effect (only if you don't need other defensive effects, gives better Ignite uptime),
#% increased Critical Strike Chance during Effect (when going Crit).
Bossing

You can try using an extra Life Flask, the suffix Recover an additional #% of Flask's Life Recovery Amount over 10 seconds if used while not on Full Life is pretty good here
For Utility Flasks, when Bossing it's better to not use Instilling Orbs and use either Enkindling Orbs or enchant them using Harvest. Your options should be:
Granite
Basalt
Quicksilver: may not be needed unless you need to dodge lots of stuff (Exarch Boulder Phase, Maven Memory Game, Sirus Craters)
Ruby: When fighting Searing Exarch (stepping on runes gives -5% Max Fire Res)
Prismatic Tincture is really powerful here, as Melee we have limited damage windows, so maximizing the Slam damage makes the fight a lot easier.
Note: if you checked some bossing guides you will see people recommending Sapphire and Topaz flasks for some bosses. We already have 90% Max Resists due to being Chieftain, so this does not actually benefit our build.

If you use your Utility Flasks too much you won't have any charges left pretty fast. A powerful prefix that solves this is Gain # Charges when you are Hit by an Enemy. Try to get this on all your flasks, as suffixes are less important here. An alternative for the Crit build is #% chance to gain a Flask Charge when you deal a Critical Strike. You can also just rely on the enchants and use the Flasks sparingly.
Unique Options
Rumi's Concoction: when switching to Staves for extra block
Lion's Roar: for a bit extra damage
The Wise Oak: gives extra Penetration and defenses (becomes stronger if you can keep your cold and lightning resistance equal)
Cinderswallow Urn: Extra damage and life/mana recovery
Bottled Faith: Luxury item granting Crit and more damage
Progenesis: Extremely expensive but grants strong damage mitigation
Last edited by CrispyXtreme on Sep 18, 2024, 10:29:02 AM
Last bumped on Sep 20, 2024, 10:06:03 PM
Gems
Main Damage (make sure it's socketed in the Body Armour!)
Main Slam Skill - Overexertion - Pulverise - Melee Physical Damage - Elemental Damage with Attacks - Flex

Flex could be:
Spoiler
Fortify if you have don't get it from the passive tree (Cluster Jewel or Fortify node wheel)
Fire Penetration (the Awakened version is especially good)
Endurance Charge on Melee Stun (once you get 7+ Endurance Charges)
Cold to Fire if using Ice Crash (if you also need Fortify swap it with Elemental Damage with Attacks or another gem).
Fist of War if you're not playing Chieftain

Extra options if you also want to replace Pulverise and or Melee Phys due to attack speed issues: Added Fire Damage (good damage early but gets outscaled), Ruthless, Concentrated Effect, Elemental Focus, Combustion, Shockwave.

Auras
Herald of Ash/Purity - Blood and Sand
Crit only: Precision (- Arrogance, haven't tested it yet)
Details
Blood and Sand adds good damage for just a 10% mana reservation. We're usually setting it to Blood stance and keep it there. If you are autoexerting less than 2 Warcries or do some mana reservation tricks you can fit both Heralds. If you have to choose between one of them, both give similar amounts of damage but Herald of Purity has some special synergy with Rallying Cry. I may underestimate Herald of Ash's overkill effect so I need to test it more.

Fun thing to note: aside from Precision, none of these are actually considered Auras in game so they won't be affected by increases/reductions or other modifiers to Aura effect

Warcry Setup
Spoiler
Note: * means that the warcry can be either manually cast or autoexerted (when a warcry is linked to autoexert it does not give any buffs, only exerts for your attacks).

No Crit version
Auto warcries: Autoexertion - Battlemage's Cry - Flammability - Seismic Cry* - Rallying Cry*
Manual warcries: Enduring Cry - Infernal Cry - Urgent Orders - Intimidating Cry*

Reasoning and detailed explanations
Since Battlemage's Cry has no useful buff when we don't rely on crit, we can autoexert it without losing anything. It also casts a linked skill, so we use Flammability to curse enemies on hit.

Conversely, Enduring Cry does nothing when autoexerted, so we must manually cast it. Infernal Cry is the best warcry for this build, and its buff is way too useful to manually cast, giving us around 50% MORE damage at high investment, so we can't afford to autoexert it. We use Urgent Orders for Warcry Speed, making manual casting much smoother.

I prefer playing with 3 warcries, so I also added Intimidating Cry for the movement speed and for deciding when I want to use the exerted attacks since it only exerts 2 (or 3 with a passive) attacks. Feel free to add (or remove) your Warcry of choice. For example, for maximum damage Rallying Cry is theoretically better when manually cast if it affects your Herald of Purity minions.

Crit version
Auto warcries: Autoexertion - Intimidating Cry* - Seismic Cry* - Rallying Cry*
Manual warcries: Enduring Cry - Infernal Cry - Urgent Orders - Battlemage's Cry - Flammability

Since Battlemage's Cry gives around 5% base critical strike chance which is huge, we have to manually cast it and also move Flammability so it's still applied on our attacks.
A thing to note
The problem is that this setup has 5 links so we can't socket all the gems in the helmet. We use Echoes of Creation which gives +1 uses to socketed Warcries which is a nice QoL. We either have to drop Urgent Orders which may feel bad or swap a Warcry to another slot but it will only have one charge and slower Warcry Speed. I will be testing this in the future as I switch to the crit setup.

Mobility
Leap Slam - Faster Attacks, Frostblink
Details
The standard el33t melee chad racer setup. Leap slam has no cooldown and scales with both attack speed and movement speed, while Frostblink is an instant-cast blink that can be used in tricky situation (if you're a League of Legends player it's like Flash so you understand how strong it can be).

The Frostblink trick: Since Frostblink has an instant cast, it does not interrupt our character's action, which means we can Frostblink mid-slam to reposition ourselves while we're locked in our long animation and/or redirect our slam if the opponent teleports or uses annoying and dangerous stuff like a proximity shield or mana bubble (again, if you're a LoL player it's like a Flash-skill combo which can be game-changing).

You can also use Flame Dash instead of Frostblink. It has 3 charges for more frequent dodges but you won't be able to do the reposition mid-slam.

Defensive setup
Cast when Damage Taken (CWDT) (lvl 8) - Molten Shell (lvl 12)
Details
Standard CWDT setup. Molten Shell gives good tankiness when it's active. Make sure your gem levels are correct (Molten Shell needs to have a less or equal "requires Level" value than CWDT). Can decrease or increase it based on preference (you probably need a lower level while progressing).

Other options: can also try Vaal Molten Shell and use the Vaal version as a manual defensive button, or drop the CWDT gem entirely and manually cast Molten Shell when you know you're gonna get hit by big damage. But we're already using many buttons.

Rage-Buff buttons (Semi-Optional)
Berserk, Vengeful Cry
Details
Think we already had too many buttons? THING AGAIN. With the changes to Rage in 3.25 our Rage generation is really good so we can keep Berserk up for a really long time. For my current setup it gives 16% More Damage.

But the cherry on top goes to the new skill: Vengeful Cry. It is a retaliation warcry skill, which means it can only be used for 2 seconds after taking a savage hit (15% damage dealt to maximum life in one hit) which gives 25 temporary max Rage and prevents Rage decay. Since we stack Warcry Buff effect this gives closer to 50 max Rage (51 for my build). This gives my build a whopping 35% more damage during the buff effect.

But how do you reliably take savage hits?
Spoiler
We're using Echoes of Creation, which makes us take 15% of our life as physical damage per warcry exerted. Since we're exerting 5 warcries, we will be taking 75% of life as physical per slam (we have lots of armour and endurance charges to counteract most of the damage). By carefully manipulating our tankiness when we're attacking we can enable Vengeful Cry pretty reliably.

Alternatively, you can just do harder content and click some Eldritch Altars which will make you take savage hits more frequently (don't do this on Hardcore).

Though they are individually strong, Berserk and Vengeful Cry also multiply each other, giving my build 71% more damage.

Note: Both skills are unchecked by default in my PoB link so they're not included in DPS, the actual damage numbers are even higher when we use both, but it also shows that this build can scale good without them.

If you're using more Auras and/or Enlighten you won't have enough slots for both of these unless you're using some Unset Rings. You can drop one or both of these skills. While Vengeful Cry has a really interesting and powerful interaction with our build, it may feel clunky. Berserk gives a pretty good semi-frequent buff but another Aura will just give permanent strength which can overall feel better. But do give them a try first and see how they feel. For bossing especially they're extremely satisfying to combo together.

Viable Alternatives
Spoiler
Many gems are not mandatory and can be swapped around, here's a few other options that work well:

Determination: Good defensive aura, gives lots of armour but has a 50% mana reservation. If you want to use it you probably want to pair it with an Enlighten Support, drop some other skill/autoexerts or get some mana reservation efficiency on the tree. Combine with a Watcher's Eye and/or Sublime Vision for maximum effect.

Vitality/Purity of Fire: Other good defensive auras, they become better when comboed with good Watcher Eye modifiers and Sublime Vision. Purity of Fire also allows some leeway when trying to cap max fire resist.

More Duration Support: can be linked to your manual warcries to make the buffs last longer so you don't have to warcry so often.

Flame Dash: Can drop the Mobility setup which takes 3 gems in favor of this, or just use instead of Frostblink if you like it more

Immortal Call: Can replace Molten Shell.

Assassin's Mark/Elemental Weakness: if you find yourself getting a "You can apply an additional curse" mod you should try adding one of these. Can be linked to Battlemage's Cry too (each attack will alternate between the curses).

Item Rarity Support: Helps give more gold or better loot when farming specific strategies, especially endgame ones. Pretty good this league. Should replace one support gem on your slam skill, however it can also work on Infernal Cry (but it's unlikely to get last hits with the Combust triggered from the warcry unless you also combo with Culling Strike Support)

Culling Strike Support: Especially good for Pinnacle Bosses to skip the last part where they are usually the strongest. Can be linked to either Leap Slam or Infernal Cry. You can also just keep it on your alternate weapon and switch to it at the end so you don't "waste" a gem slot.

Combustion Support: Can be linked to Infernal Cry for better Ignite uptime on enemies (we have a few damage multipliers that rely on Ignite) and fire resistance reduction. Once we scale to the endgame the damage increase is not that big though.

Pantheon
Pantheon adds powerful ways to completely or partially solve defensive problems. Check the FAQ for the complete picture on dealing with Elemental Ailments.

Major:
Soul of the Brine King WITH 100% Freeze Avoidance: must have unless you get other source of Freeze Immunity
Soul of Lunaris: mapping if you have another Freeze Immunity source
Soul of Solaris: bossing (can also be used as a pseudo-Crit reduction solution)

Minor:
Soul of Garukhan: default option until you can get Shock Immunity through other means
Soul of Yugul: for doing Reflect. Upgrade for Curse Immunity in conjuction with Flasks.
Soul of Gruthkul: good generic defense
If you get Shock Immunity choose between the other two based on preference (I like being Curse immune so I went with Yugul).

Situational:
Soul of Shakari: if you keep dying to Poison/Chaos DoT, not needed once you invest in Chaos Resist
Soul of Ryslatha: For bossing or (upgraded) finishing pesky mobs with regen that you can't outdamage

Map Mods to Avoid
DON'T RUN THESE:
Players have (-12--9)% to all maximum Resistances
Players have #% less Recovery Rate of Life and Energy Shield
Players cannot Regenerate Life, Mana or Energy Shield + Monsters cannot be Leeched from (if they're separate it's ok)
Crit only:
Players have #% less Accuracy Rating
Players have #% reduced effect of Non-Curse Auras from Skills

Dangerous mods, runnable but best to avoid:
Players have #% less Armour Players have #% reduced Chance to Block
Buffs on Players expire #% faster
Players have #% less Cooldown Recovery Rate

Can be run but needs some changes to the basic setup to work around them:
Monsters reflect #% of Elemental Damage: Yugul Pantheon + Elemental Mastery or Awakened Elemental Damage with Attacks and don't use Infernal Cry
Monsters cannot be Leeched from: Get Mana Recoup or use a Mana Flask
Monsters steal Power, Frenzy and Endurance charges on Hit: if using Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm, swap to another Slam (Volcanic Fissure of Snaking is my favorite)
For Crit, reduced Accuracy mods can be worked around by switching to a "Hits can't be Evaded" Staff (though it's a hassle).

Runnable but annoying mods:
Players have #% less Area of Effect
Crit only:
Monsters Blind on Hit
Monsters take #% reduced Extra Damage from Critical Strikes

Tattoos
Get ONE Tattoo of the Kitava Blood Drinker so you have access to life leech (no need for more as we already reach the leech cap).

Best Tattoos for this build:
8% Warcry Recovery Rate (Tukohama Warcaller)
Block (Valako Shieldbearer, only if using Warstaves, note that these are really expensive)
5% Melee/Physical/Fire Damage (Tukohama Warmonger/Kitava Warrior/Ngamahu Warrior)
6% increased Armour (Rongokurai Warrior)

Note that 10 Strength innately gives 5 life and 2% increased melee damage. The best strategy is probably to tattoo as much Warcry Recovery Rate as you can as it makes managing Warcries easier.

Runecrafts
In 3.25 we got some powerful "free-power" enchantments through Runesmithing, which can add a ton of damage:
Super Budget: "(20-25)% Chance to Ignite" or "Adds X to Y Fire Damage" (Cost: 1x Sun Rune)

Budget: "x% Increased Physical Damage". (Cost: 3x/10x/50x War Rune). The 50x enchant can carry you into the full endgame, including Ubers.

Now we get into weapon specific Runecrafts:
Mace:
"Gain (30-50)% of Weapon Physical Damage as Extra Damage of each Element". (Cost: 4x Power Rune, 11x Journey Rune, 11x War Rune)
Extremely strong, especially with Avatar of Fire. If you hit 50% it basically means "Gain 100% of Phys as Extra Fire Damage".

Warstaff has multiple viable enchants:
"(10-15)% chance to Cover Enemies in Ash on Hit." (Cost: 88x Bounty Rune, 77x Sun Rune).
Can be very strong, will allow us to drop Xoph's Blood and get a stronger Amulet.

"Exerted Attacks deal (80-100)% increased Damage". (Cost: 8x Time Rune, 22x Mountain Rune).
Good damage increase. All our attacks are exerted.

Gain a random shrine buff every 10 seconds.(Cost: 13x Power Rune, 32x Journey Rune, 64x Bounty Rune).
Really expensive but shrine buffs are strong. Not a fan of random rotating buffs.

(20-25)% chance when you Kill a Magic Monster to gain its Modifiers for 60 seconds. (Cost: 16x Power Rune, 13x Bounty Rune, 13x Time Rune).
Replica Headhunter but as an enchantment. The price is massive though.

Axe:
"Attack Critical Strikes ignore Enemy Monster Elemental Resistances". (Cost: 3x Power Rune, 30x Journey Rune, 40x Mountain Rune).
Powerful effect, can be an enchantment around which you make a whole build around. Allows you to stop investing in elemental penetration and resistance reduction and focus on other stats.

Will try to make a PoB for this, but the idea is:
Swap Flammability for another Curse/Mark
Swap Fire Exposure for another offensive stat.
If using (Awakened) Fire Penetration Support, swap it for another gem.
For passive points, there's two really close node wheels for crit that will add a lot of power ("Feller of Foes" and "Dismembering").

Crafting
Terminology
Block Prefixes: Craft "Prefixes cannot be changed"
Block Suffixes: Craft "Suffixes cannot be changed"
Clear Prefixes: Block Suffixes then Scour Orb
Clear Suffixes: Block Prefixes then Scour Orb
iLvl: Item level (not the "Requires Level" value)
Crafting Base/Base type: The item you start crafting on, check the wiki or Craft of Exile and search/select an item type to see the bases.
(yolo) Exalt Slam: apply an Exalted Orb to an item, I just add yolo for fun when the Exalt can unintentionally ruin an item with high potential
Brick: Get the item in a state where you can't continue Crafting on and must reset to a previous step (or even to the beginning), effectively losing all the currency spent from that step.

I assume you know the actual terms but not the "slang" used, if there's more terms let me know in the comments.

Shock Avoidance Boots
Budget: I recommend buying a high Armour base with Fractured Fire Resistance. Spam Deafening (Shrieking if you really can't afford it) Essences of Torment until you hit a high Life roll and an empty prefix (you can try to yolo Annul if prefixes are full). Then benchcraft one of the movement speed mods depending on your situation.

Fun fact: this is how I actually wanted to craft the first pair of boots shown in the Gear section. However I hit both max Life and good Chaos resist, resulting in a pair of boots that got me through the whole game.

You can also go the other way around and get Fractured Life or Movement Speed. Spam Essences of Torment until you hit the other Prefix and have an open Suffix (bonus points if the other Suffix is decent). You can now benchcraft different stuff like Resists or Attributes. This method is more flexible but the base will usually cost more.

High investment: can use a Fractured Chaos Resist base. Spam Deafening Essences of Torment until you hit (depending on fracture and what you need) T2/T1 Chaos Res, Ele Res or Life Regeneration Rate.
Now we need to work on prefixes. There are 2 ways to do it (can also be combined):
- Make Searing Exarch dominant and use a combination of Eldritch Chaos, Annuls and Exalted Orbs (depending on price) to try to get a good Life roll (or Movement Speed if you don't need the extra benchcraft effects)
- Use Wild Bristle Matron to beastcraft "Suffixes cannot be changed" (usually much cheaper than crafting it on the bench which costs 2 Divine each time). Use Harvest Reforge Life until you get a high tier Life and empty preffix (Eldritch Annul if they are full, restart if you remove the Life). Craft movement speed using the bench. (Can also Reforge Speed and craft Life, however I think it's a bit weaker)

Extreme investment: same steps as above for suffixes, but for prefixes, after you hit T1 Life you clean the prefixes so you have 2 open, (beast)craft "Prefixes cannot be changed" and use a Veiled Orb and pray to hit the 50/50.
If you remove the Metamod: craft a blocking prefix and unveil a Movement Speed prefix. Craft the last prefix.

If you remove Life: it's bad, but there's some things you can do to try to salvage it: craft an Armour prefix (blocks the most amount of undesirable prefixes) and try to (yolo) Exalt in hope of hitting a good life roll. If you still didn't hit it and it's not a life modifier, remove the crafted modifier (NOT THE VEILED ONE) and try to exalt slam again. If you still didn't hit anything good use an Eldritch Chaos Orb to restart. Otherwise Unveil and maybe try to Eldritch Annul the extra Prefix if you got something you didn't like (2/3 chance you have to restart :D).

High Armour Body
The best ways would be either Dense Fossil spam or Deafening Essence of Dread spam on a iLvl 86 Royal Plate (preferably Fractured with additional PDR) until you get a good Armour combination. If it's not fractured craft "Suffixes cannot be changed" and Harvest reforge Physical for additional PDR, otherwise Harvest reforge Chaos/Fire/Cold/Lightning for guaranteed Resist. Can skip the Suffixes if on a budget and just benchcraft something useful if there's an open Suffix.
Another way is to make Eater of Worlds dominant and Eldritch Chaos/Annul/Exalt for good suffixes. Check the prices first so you don't waste currency.

WIP High Investment Armour
For a very high investment Body Armour, we want the max life roll alongside good Armour, which already complicates the crafting process. On top of that, a really strong Essence modifier is "You take #% reduced Extra Damage from Critical Strikes per Endurance Charge" which solves our Crit dmg reduction. I'm still working on crafting an Armour like this, but the crafting will probably take at least 15 Divines.

My current plan is as follows:
Crafting base: iLvl 86 Royal Plate with fractured PDR
Spam Essences of Horror until you get T1 resist (either Chaos or Elemental)
I'm currently deciding on the best way to solve prefixes:
a. "Prefixes Cannot be changed" -> Reforge Life (Exalt slam if needed) until you get both high Life and a high Armour prefix (this is pretty hard to hit), craft the other Armour prefix
b. Clear prefixes, craft hybrid Armour -> double Exalt, if the prefixes are bad restart
c. Eldritch Chaos/Annul/Exalt

Another option is to try and fracture the Essence modifier (on a 26%+ quality base) and then focus on prefixes first, but just the fracturing cost is on average 20 Div.

High Investment Stygian Vise
First, make sure the Stygian Vise is at least iLvl 84 (preferably 86). There are multiple ways to craft a belt like this:
Method 1: The most fun (and probably profitable) option is to start from a non-influenced Stygian Vise, Essence Spam with a Resistance or Attribute Essence until you get good suffixes and high tier Life, then pray and yolo Hunter Exalt slam it, hoping for the % Increased Life prefix. You have 1 in 3 chance to hit the Life mod, 1 in 6 for T1. You can probably sell the failures for close to break-even price since Hunter Stygian Vises are pretty expensive. You can view a tutorial for this method in this video.

Method 2 (Warning: can get very expensive for good suffixes): spam Pristine fossils on a Hunter Stygian Vise until you get high tier of both Life mods. Then either:
- Lock prefixes and reforge Chaos/Fire/Cold/Lightning for resists (chance to fill suffixes which can brick your crafting process if you don't annul a suffix)
- Clear suffixes (Prefixes Cannot Be Changed + Scour), craft "Life Regen" or "Stun and Block Recovery" then Exalt slam twice hoping for good mods, repeat. This has no chance of bricking your item but will cost more.
You can also throw Veiled Orbs somewhere into the mix but only do this if you're planning to craft VERY expensive belts.

Method 3: Use Pristine, Prismatic and Sanctified Fossils on 3-slot resonators. Spam these resonators on a Hunter Stygian Vise until you get both life mods and good suffixes. You can view the method in action in this video.

Problems + Solutions and FAQ

How to fully convert all Slams to deal fire damage?
Tectonic Slam or Volcanic Fissure: use either the Fire Mastery ("40% of physical damage converted to fire damage") or Avatar of Fire
Consecrated Path: use Avatar of Fire or Fire Mastery + Gloves implicit/benchcraft
Physical Slams: use Avatar of Fire + Fire Mastery + Gloves implicit/benchcraft
Ice Crash: use Avatar of Fire + Cold to Fire Support

NOTE: We use Xoph's Blood in our build so no need to path to Avatar of Fire.

Capping Maximum Fire Resistance
Don't expect to reach the 90% cap until the endgame. Use a Ruby Flask until you get capped.

Initially, we get most of our points from the passive tree, we get 6% from the two maximum elemental resistances node wheels (Prismatic Skin and Nomadic Teachings), 1% from the Barbarism node, another 1% from Soul of Steel and an extra 1% from the Armour mastery which gives it if all your equipment gives armour.

We also run Purity of Fire for up to 4% max fire res (at gem lvl 20). There are also 1% max fire res eldritch implicits on both the Body Armour and Boots (can go up to 3%/2%). You can also temporarily use Ancestral Cry (gives max elemental resistances but can't be exerted cause it's for Strikes only).

When we begin opimizing the build we will start to drop stuff (starting with Purity of Fire) and use 2% max fire resist jewels. Switching to Cluster Jewels will unlock more Jewel slots. Expect to need 3-5 jewels with 2% max fire res by the end of the build.

Mana problems
Early solutions:
Before unlocking oils and anoints use a Mana Flask (with "Enduring" Prefix).
After you have access to some oils anoint Attack Damage Mana Leech nodes (Spirit Void, Essence Sap or Clever Thief, I recommend the last one since it also gives Life Leech).
Take the Cannibalistic Rite node.
If you still have problems take the Life Mastery "Skills Cost Life instead of 15% of Mana Cost" and/or the Tireless node wheel.

Later solutions:
Cluster Jewel with "Fuel the Fight" notable so you can anoint something more useful
-7 mana cost benchcraft on rings.
Damage recouped as Mana from affix or Mana Mastery

Mana quickly becomes a problem once you start reserving mana and putting links on your main gem + the constant Warcrying. A quick solution would be Mana leech, but all the easily accesible passive nodes or stats on items give only "Physical Damage Leeched as Mana" which does not work for this build (while physical damage nodes work for our build, physical leech does not as it happens after all our damage is converted to fire). Funnily enough the most common Cluster Jewel notable ("Fuel the Fight") is also insanely useful for us as it's our only way to get attack damage mana leech with minimal investment.

Attack Speed Problems
Early solutions:
Use Blood Rage
Get a Silver Flask for Onslaught.
You can also temporarily swap Pulverise and/or Melee Physical Damage for other support gems (check the Gems section for alternatives). I think these support gems are really good so it's better to find other solutions.

Later solutions:
Get better Onslaught sources (boots craft or "Lead by Example" Cluster notable)
Frenzy charges through "Mob Mentality" Cluster notable.
Get attack speed on base Jewels.
Craft Attack Speed on your weapon or buy one with a good attack speed.

Since we're using a slam, pulverise and melee physical damage we have a lot of "less Attack Speed" modifiers. While we're a slower attack speed build, too slow will make the game unplayable and the build will feel trash. Overinvesting in attack speed is not that bad since we will have a faster animation but we can just attack less frequently to proc more Fists of War while we dodge or use a Warcry.

Too many warcries to use
This is a warcry buff-centric build so the more you can manually cast the stronger you'll be, but you don't have to use all of them. My sweet spot is 3 manual warcries (enduring and infernal which are mandatory + intimidating for the movement speed buff) with the rest on Autoexertion.

Elemental Ailment Immunity
Overview of Elemental Ailments
Getting immunity to certain elemental ailments is a must to clear endgame content without the risk of getting oneshot:
Freeze: the most dangerous one because it makes you unable to move
Chill: reduced action speed (all animations for your character), for some builds it's not that bad, but since our Slams are not that fast getting Chilled makes this build unplayable
Shock: take increased damage, this can make you take random large bursts of damage and usually results in oneshots.
We're already unaffected by Ignite thanks to the Chieftain ascendancy.

To get immunity on a budget we mainly focus on Flasks and the Pantheon. With some investment we can move from Flasks to affixes on Equipment.

There's also some special alternate elemental ailments that are pretty rare, but dangerous. The most common way to get them is to click on Eldritch Altars:
Scorch: reduces all elemental resistances by up to 30%
Sapped: deal up to 20% less damage, this is the weakest of the ailments since it decreases our offense, not defense (most of the times you overkill the enemies anyway)
Brittle: enemies have additional crit chance against you.
Super Budget Solution: Flasks or Purity of Elements
Get the Immunity to X during Effect, #% less Duration on Flasks. This is not desirable as the less duration is not a good modifier on Flasks. Another solution is to get either #% chance to Avoid being X during Effect or #% reduced Effect of X on you during Effect (prefer the second one since Avoidance is not that good unless you get to 100%). These mods do not affect duration but you can't get them to 100% on their own so you must combine them with other methods.
Freeze Immunity:
Get Soul of the Brine King with Captain Tanner Lightfoot captured
Chill Immunity (2 methods):
1. Get the veiled Boots prefix that gives movement speed and 100% chance to Avoid being Chilled.
2. Capture Glace for Soul of the Brine King then get 50% reduced Effect of Chill on you through either Flasks, Jewels (up to 35%) or crafted mods (benchcrafts for up to 40% for both Shock and Chill on Gloves/Boots and up to 60% on Rings)
Shock Immunity (2 methods):
1. Get Soul of Garukhan and get the remaining 40% reduced Effect of Shock on you through either Flasks, Jewels (up to 35%) or crafted mods (benchcrafts for up to 40% for both Shock and Chill on Gloves/Boots and up to 60% on Rings)
2. Get 100% chance to Avoid being Shocked through a combination of suffixes on Boots, Belt (up to 60% each, can be obtained through Essences of Torment), Abyss Jewel (up to 50%) and Searing Exarch Eldritch Implicit on Boots (33% up to 50%).

Important: do not mix Chance to Avoid, Reduced Effect and Reduced Duration! Each of these modifiers does something different. I remember mixing Soul of Garukhan with a 40%+ chance to avoid Shock on Abyss Jewel and wondering why I still got Shocked :D. While not completely useless, it's much better to get one of these modifiers to 100%, effectively making you immune to that ailment.

There are many additional ways to solve elemental ailments, but these are usually the easiest and will work on many other builds.

These methods won't protect you from the alternate Elemental Ailments. You can either try the Stormshroud method described below or take the following measures:
Scorch: overcap your resists by up to 30% (due to the Chieftain Fire Resist conversion need to overcap Lightning and Cold to 45% to be safe).
Brittle: get crit reduction (You take reduced Extra Damage from Critical Strikes)

Immune to ALL Elemental Ailments with Stormshroud
A popular and somewhat easy way of achieving immunity is by using the Unique Jewel Stormshroud. The Jewel transforms Shock Avoidance into Elemental Ailment Avoidance. This means that getting 100% chance to Avoid being Shocked gives total Elemental Ailment Immunity (including to Scorch, Brittle and Sap).

The boots slot is the preferred slot for crafting "#% chance to Avoid being Shocked" by spamming Essences of Torment, which can go up to 60%. Combining this with a high tier Eldritch Implicit or an Abyss Jewel to get the other 40%+ avoidance chance will make you Shock immune. Check the Crafting section for a detailed guide on crafting these type of boots. You can also find the same Essence suffix on Belts if you can't get it on Boots.

Why Chieftain?
In my case, my number one reason is for roleplaying reasons lol. The fantasy of being a Karui exile that ascends to shooting volcanoes with the blessings of the Karui gods feels really fulfiling. All that without becoming a corrupted fiery boi like Kaom.

But also, I was planning this build for a long time, before the Chieftain rework. At that point, it was the go-to ascendancy for fire slams. After the rework, most nodes we cared about became way more generic but the 90% max ele res is really good. The new warcry node is also really good for what we're planning to achieve.

Reflect Immunity
Soul of Yugul + Elemental Mastery ("take 50% reduced reflected elemental damage").

High investment: Awakened Elemental Damage with Attacks Support. Note that you need to remove Infernal Cry or (janky solution) if you still want to keep the buff link it to Brutality support.

Why no Banners?
Banners feel pretty clunky and Berserk serves a similar purpose and has better synergy. Also Valour generation is pretty slow without taking the mastery that gives it on Warcry, but the passive points are not that strong.

Echoes of Creation Checklist so you don't Oneshot yourself
Don't just test in the Hideout, your autoexerted Warcries will not apply. In combat you will also be Fortified and there may be some modifiers you forget about. Always attack with Endurance Charges up. Aim for at least 15k Armour without Flasks and Molten Shell up:

- "Warning Call" Medium Cluster Jewel Notable. I recommend also getting the Large Cluster Jewel, socketing just the Medium one is pretty inefficient in terms of passive points
- Body Armour with 3000+ Armour and (optional if on a tight budget) "#% additional Physical Damage Reduction" Suffix
- "Physical damage taken as Fire/Cold/Lightning" (prefer Fire) Eldritch Implicit on Body Armour
- Some Armour on all Armour pieces (Make sure you quality to 20%)

If you still struggle (from least desperate to most desperate measures):
- Allocate the "Inexorable" node wheel. You are always stationary when slamming, so you will get the 50% increased Armour.
- Use Seismic Cry as a manual Warcry (gives 25-51% MORE Armour depending on your Warcry Buff effect)
- Get pure Armour Gloves and Boots with well rolled defences.
- Drop some Auras and/or add mana reservation efficiency to use Arctic Armour or Determination.
- Last resort solution: Drop Rallying Cry.

How to make Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm Work
Use Forbidden Flesh/Flame with Unflinching. This does not completely solve the problem, use Enduring Cry when you want to make sure the slam is at max power.
A second unorthodox way without Unflinching is to stack Warcry recovery rate and Enduring Cry before every Slam.

Can also try to: swap a support gem with Endurance Charge on Melee Stun Support, get Endurance Charge on Kill and Elevated Warlord Endurance Charge Prefix on Boots.
Lots of Details
Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm's strength is also its greatest weakness: it removes all Endurance Charges for a large amount of Damage and AoE.
Analysis
The problem to solve is building enough Endurance Charges by the time you want to attack again. Without this it becomes practically unusable. But what number are we looking for? Let's compare it with the base version.

Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm (TSoC) vs Tectonic Slam (TS)- some things to note:
TSoC is equal in damage with TS at 1 Endurance Charge and outdamages it from 2 Endurance Charges onward
TSoC has the same AoE as TS at half the Endurance Charges and has better AoE onward (we usually have 6-8 max Endurance charges so let's say the breakeven number is 3-4).
TSoC has the same branching chance as TS at 10 Endurance Charges (TS actually maxes at 8 with 20% Quality)

The last point is important. While TSoC has good damage at just 1 Endurance Charge and good AoE at 3-4, the lack of branching chance will make even decent values like 4-5 Endurance Charges feel not quite strong. In my experience TSoC is Good at 6 Endurance Charges, Great at 7 and becomes really satisfying at 8+.

This means that we don't want to get "some" Endurance Charges, we want the maximum! There's not a lot of ways to get so many Endurance Charges so fast, but PoE has a type of modifiers: "Gain up to Maximum Endurance Charges ...". Also, remember that our Enduring Cry always gives Maximum Endurance Charges, so we have some synergy going.

After lots of hours of testing, I found just one reasonable way to get Endurance Charge generation, with an additional experimental method that I'm not fond of but could work well:

Just steal Unflinching from Juggernaut: Unflinching gives multiple different ways to gain Endurance Charges:
- 30% chance when hit, also works with Echoes of Creation self-hit
- 1 Endurance Charge per second after being Hit recently (also works with Echoes of Creation)
- But the star of the show is: "25% chance that if you would gain Endurance Charges, you instead gain up to maximum Endurance Charges". This is exactly what we're looking for. Now we can stack multiple different ways to generate Endurance Charges. This affects both the "when hit" and the "1 per second" Unflinching already gives.
- Not to mention the extra +1 to Max Endurance Charges, which translates to both tankiness and damage.

We also have Mob Mentality, which has 1 in 3 chance to give an Endurance Charge when Warcrying.
And we can add Endurance Charge on Melee Stun Support, which can generate Endurance Charges when stunning an enemy (unfortunately it can give only 1 per attack, contrary to what the description may imply).

Even with all of these ways to generate it, I found myself many times Slamming with a lower number of Endurance Charges (you can even see it happen in the Uber videos). Thankfully we can use Enduring Cry when we really care about the damage we do to guarantee that the next Slam will be huge. Socketed in Echoes of Creation it can be used more frequently.

This leads into the second, experimental way to try to make it work:
Focus on Warcry Recovery Rate and Enduring Cry before every Slam
This may seem troll, and it may be. But by taking all the passive nodes and using some Tattoos we can get Enduring Cry to something like 2.5s. Echoes of Creation gives an additional use. With an Attack Time of 0.8s you will be able to attack somewhat reliably, but there still seems to be a lot of dead time where you have to move around awkwardly while your Warcry comes back.

But you can add some generation from the tree. Mob Mentality still applies here, and you can get Inexorable and use Endurance Charge on Melee Stun Support. Coupled with Endurance Charge on Kill it may just smooth out the gameplay.

For both ways, one solution I'm looking for is getting Endurance Charge on Kill. While it may seem obvious, there's not many places to get it without having to give up another stat.

Another solution is getting more "Gain up to Maximum Endurance Charges" chance, but that stat is extremely rare. The only thing I found is the Elevated Warlord Prefix on the Boots: "+1 to Maximum Endurance Charges, 10% chance to gain up to max". This seems like the best upgrade step towards making the build feel smoother.

Switching to Crit Checklist
Critical Strikes are a complicated mechanic in PoE (like most others lol). If you're not sure how it works this post explains the needed concepts really well. You don't have to read it, as I will summarize the requirements for this build specifically.

We need enough Crit chance to reliably crit every attack and Crit multiplier to scale damage when critical striking. On top of that, we need Accuracy to actually hit the enemies, and Accuracy ALSO impacts your Crit chance (for some reason), so a bad Accuracy will severely affect our DPS.

Accuracy
If you don't want to deal with all this Accuracy nonsense, we can avoid it entirely by using a "Hits can't be evaded" weapon. It's a good solution, but that will limit our damage ceiling since it takes a prefix spot on the weapon. Jenno's Tectonic Slam Guide (Post 3 -> Old Content -> Gears) covers this in greater detail, including crafting steps.

The goal is at least 3000 total Accuracy. We can get both flat and % increased global Accuracy. Aim for:
650+ from Precision Aura
550+ from Gloves
150+ from Abyss Jewel
You will also get 400+ from Dexterity and your Level, and probably a small amount from the Weapon prefix.
12% from Eldritch Implicit on Gloves
You can also try to get some Accuracy on the ring, but since we're using an Unique Helmet and Amulet, those slots are pretty valuable for Attributes and Resistances.

The rest of the Accuracy will come from the tree:
If you're struggling to get all the Accuracy on items: The Eagle Eye node wheel makes capping Accuracy (and Crit) easy. Take the "+500 to Accuracy/-2 to Accuracy per Level" Mastery, it's the best generic one even at max level.
Otherwise, you can get a few Accuracy nodes on the Cluster Jewel (Martial Prowess) and while pathing to Titanic Impacts

For Crit Chance, thanks to our buffed Battlemage's Cry, high base Crit on Warstaves, Precision Aura and permanent uptime of Power Charges, we get to almost maximum Crit Chance by just taking the good Crit nodes on the tree.
If you lack the last % for 100% crit chance, use either a Diamond Flask or any flask with the increased crit chance suffix (or both).
With a Crit Chance suffix on the weapon you will easily overcap the crit chance.

With Accuracy and Crit Chance out of the way, the focus on maximizing DPS now is getting as much Critical Multiplier as we can. This can be found in multiple places: weapon, rings, amulets, jewels.

Can you play Juggernaut or other ascendancies?
Yes this build can be played with Juggernaut, Berserker and probably even Champion, Inquisitor and Slayer (I'd say this is the order of viability but I haven't tested any yet). In fact Juggernaut seems to have better synergies with most of the things we're trying to achieve if we're going for Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm (as Chieftains we end up getting Forbidden Flesh and Flame for the Unflinching node). But overall I'd say Chieftain achieves what this build wants to do in the most tightly knit way.

Make sure to take the "Warcries have a minimum of 10 Power" mastery if you're switching to any of these ascendancies, otherwise you're gonna have a really bad time.

Juggernaut has really good tankiness and endurance charge support, Berserker has insane damage but gives a lot of attack speed which we don't like as much, Champion has fortify, adrenaline, taunt and banner support, Inquisitor has lots of damage scaling, Consecrated Ground and crit support and Slayer has good damage, accuracy and AoE, leech support, 20% culling strike and crit support.

Note: If you want to play with Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm I recommend going Marauder to have access to Unflinching since it is the only solution I've found that makes Endurance Charge Generation feel good.

Why not go Ignite?
Personally, I don't enjoy that playstyle, doing a huge slam but letting the damage over time work for you, but it's possible to do it. I would try to make a PoB but I'm not experienced in these type of builds, but if someone wants to try it: you need to focus more on scaling fire damage over time and damage over time multiplier.

Chieftain rework rant
If you're not familiar with the old Chieftain you can read its skills here (this is the old wiki which I don't recommend normally using but for historic purposes it's ok). While the current Chieftain may be stronger overall, I've felt like it's lost its identity. Even though our nodes for the attack archetype are pretty good, old Chieftain covered multiple areas:
(Note: * means that it affects our build)

Strength Stacking: While still covered by a node (Ngamahu, Flame's Advance), it feels very weird now and I think it gives much less strength than the 10% increase from the old node

Cover enemies in Ash*: This is huge for our build. Cover in Ash is a multiplier exclusive to fire builds, you'd expect the most fire-centric ascendancy in the game to give pretty easy access to it. There are not many good alternative ways to get this modifier and it kind of forces us to use Xoph's Blood and locks our Amulet slot.
Settling Ash Rant
As compensation for the Chieftain ascendancy no longer giving this modifier we got the "Settling Ash" notable on the passive tree (Nearby enemies are covered in Ash if you haven't moved for 2 seconds). That notable may be the biggest trap on the whole passive tree: being stationary for 2 whole seconds almost never happens in this game unless you're begging to get killed.

Not to mention that we have to path through the ignite chance nodes (which are really weak for our build). The cherry on top is that as soon as you start moving the enemies ARE NO LONGER COVERED IN ASH. This must be an oversight from GGG as I cannot imagine any build that can make this node work.

Fire damage leeched as Life: In the past, this was the only way to gain life leech for some builds due to their unique skill and weapon combination, but now it's easily accesible as an Eldritch Implicit on Gloves. Thankfully we are an attack based build and attack damage life leech is also pretty common.

Endurance Charge Support*: We used to have +1 Maximum Endurance Charges! Also endurance charge generation when we warcry and some damage increase. This would be really nice for sustaining Tectonic Slam of Cataclysm. One argument is that Juggernaut is already the "Endurance Charge Ascendancy" but I think more classes should have access to the same mechanics but through different ways. Chieftain doing it through Warcries would add a lot of flavor.

Interesting fact: Tectonic Slam has a pretty weird mechanic, every 3 slams it consumes an Endurance Charge. It was probably designed to synergise with the old ascendancy (which made it really flavorful), since there are not many ways to lose endurance charges without consuming all of them.

Fire conversion + Gain Physical as Extra Fire Damage*: This has been somewhat offloaded into the passive tree through the fire mastery and the "Magmatic Strikes" notable, although they are weaker. But I think not having any fire attack damage ascendancy nodes feels pretty weird.

Totem Support: Chieftain is (was) the Totem Ascendancy (alongside Hierophant) but has pretty much no unique interactions for it anymore.

Funnily enough, the Scion Ascendancy node for Chieftain still gives the Covered in Ash debuff and the old 10% Strength increase.

Conclusion: I think Chieftain needs some flavor added back, especially around the Totem playstyle, Covered in Ash debuff, Endurance Charges and unique fire damage interactions. Something as simple as: "Gain 1 Endurance Charge every second if you've used a Warcry Recently" or "Enemies taunted by your Warcries are Covered in Ash for 4 seconds" (ok this one may be kinda strong) for Sione, Sun's Roar or "Gain up to maximum Endurance Charges when you hit a Rare or Unique enemy with an Ancestrally Boosted Slam or Strike" to Tukohama, War's Herald would add a lot of flavor and not overly buff the Ascendancy.

One "problem" is that the 90% max resist node is so strong it basically demands half of the ascendancy dedicated to it.

Last edited by CrispyXtreme on Sep 19, 2024, 2:37:11 AM
Hell yeah. Meat and potatoes slamjam. I love this build. Thanks.
This looks promising! I usually play RF/AFK/CWS DD builds, but I need to give this a try. It seems really exciting.
Is increased buff effect actually working with infernal cry? If you strip your character down and take a look at you tooltip fire damage you will see that infernal cry is only giving 25% of physical as fire even at 100% buff effect. You can test this with a level 1 added fire damage support (which is 25%) and see that infernal cry still gives the exact same bonus.
"
CabbageSalad wrote:
Is increased buff effect actually working with infernal cry? If you strip your character down and take a look at you tooltip fire damage you will see that infernal cry is only giving 25% of physical as fire even at 100% buff effect. You can test this with a level 1 added fire damage support (which is 25%) and see that infernal cry still gives the exact same bonus.

Hey, thanks for the response. Just tested it and indeed it doesn't seem to work (unless the tooltip is bugged haha). I'm 99% sure it's a bug and not intended behaviour, especially since the changes to Infernal Cry seemed to be made to synergize with the new "Warcry Buff package" we got in 3.25. If that's the case then it means this build is even better based on my in-game experience (PoB numbers should already be correct if it is indeed a bug).

If it really isn't a bug, then the change I would make to the tree would be to maybe drop the points towards the "Natural Authority" node and maybe anoint it then path to Escalation as Warcry Duration is pretty tight with my setup. Or just drop the node wheel entirely and spec into other nodes.
Hey there, I spent the last few days writing a lot of in-depth sections and now the guide is pretty much finalized. I played longer than I wanted to on the mace version to see if it can do all the content and it's easy to say that the build is very strong and mopped the floor with Ubers (skill issues aside). I'm going to be switching to crit now and try to make an optimized tree. Will attach the wip tree on the pobb section soon.

Roleplaying as a Chieftain was a good choice, as I got blessed by Hinekora herself and dropped a Hinekora's Lock from a random mob :D.

My next steps are (if I don't get burnt out on the league) to use the newly acquired funds to craft a perfect prefix warstaff using recombinators (which is pretty cheap but kinda time-consuming) and then try to craft BiS body armour and boots. I may also do a Mageblood setup.

This build exceeded my expectations. I hope more people try it as it's pretty under the radar compared to the meta slam builds.

Seems GGG will not address the Infernal Cry issue probably until next League.

If you have any questions, improvements, criticisms or anything else leave a comment so I can make the guide better!
Definitely include Ice Armor. That thing is OP.

It's just epic being able to use Consecrated Path in a kind of straight-forward slam build now. It was the second character I made. Leveling a slammer was good. Gearing the slammer was good. Infernal Cry really feels like the staple of this build throughout the character development arc. I hope GGG will let it scale higher.

Great write-up. I hope this build stays good.

Edit: Arctic Armour, not Ice Armor.
Last edited by CaedwynArgol on Sep 20, 2024, 10:08:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info