Ideas for an Action RPG

Hey there

I am developing an mobile Action RPG (diablo like) with seasons and I want some opinions on one of it's mechanics.

Basically every aspect of customization of characters will be subject to an automatic rebalnce system.

The rebalance will happen daily with small buffs or nerfs (from -3% up to +3%) and it will be based on the popularity of each of the customization aspects weighted by how strong is the content that it is clearing.

The characters can be completely and easily respeced.

The idea is that players will be incentivized to come with new buildings, even during the seasons and not just copy one from internet.

What do you think? Could this work? Should I just buff the bad builds and not nerf the good ones? Any ideas are welcome!

Last bumped on Jul 18, 2024, 9:55:43 PM
So this is actually the approach GGG wanted to take with PoE early on. They felt that players would rise to the challenge and enjoy it.

Turns out, nope. Most ARPG players just want to be powerful AF, but also to feel like they've earned it.

Some want to feel like they've beaten the system their own way, or at least forged their own 'path' to success. Others are content to follow guides and trade to obtain comparable power to get through the content. Very few have the incentive to be pioneers every single reset, especially in a game as complex as PoE.

...Like or not, most people are followers, not leaders. At least when it comes to gaming -- IRL is demanding enough for most, I suppose.

So GGG went from 'how do we keep updating/rebalancing this game to maintain the challenge level for hardcore players?' to 'how do we shuffle the deck just enough to keep people interested but not so much that they feel powerless and overwhelmed?'

I LIKE your idea and would love to give it a roll but my gut says it'd be a tough sell in any market, let alone the notoriously casual/disposable mobile gaming scene.

But if you do go through with it, I'd strongly recommend not going overboard with the variables for build elements. Lean on the magic of permutation. PoE to me is a cautionary tale against overloading your system with variables when it's already a complex machine capable of all sorts of configurations.

Best of luck to ya.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
I honestly think it just needs to look good, path of exile is a great example of great art and action fusion
Without regards to the merits of the idea on its own, it's one I know I'd hate to play personally. The idea that a build isn't the same day to day, doubly so if it's popular. And would go weird, as it'll likely just belly flop between two ideas, everyone plays one meta build on even days, then swaps on odd days, keeping the top two builds in equilibrium, or it just shuts down discussion of builds, since there's pressure to keep your pocket build so it doesn't get ruined. It will also mean existing guides to onboard new players will either frustrate players or actively ruin their ability to play (Since they'll be bad, as they keep getting higher early retention, tanking their Stats). This becomes a game of manipulating the statistics, rather than engaging in whatever the games actual mechanics are, ARPG by way of EVE Online.

You also can't only buff 'bad' builds. Because bad is subjective. Buff the bad build, the old good builds are now bad, so you have to buff them and on and on. This creates unlimited creep, requiring you to forever expand the games math until players are dealing trillions of damage and all of the math loses all relevance to the human mind. You do need to cull and cut the top builds from time to time. If there are ten bad builds and one good build, the good build is the problem. In addition, a 'good' build isn't always a math problem, some times there are equally viable builds, that work on fewer clicks, or are just less taxing to operate, gear easier, or just have a visually appealing skill. Heck, if there are ten mathematically equal builds in performance, but one has a good guide to it and is promoted on sites, it becomes the 'best' build, or at least, the most meta, as echo chambers will amplify its presence. Should you buff other builds to disrupt the balance perfection to stop this? Or just let people play what they want?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info