Can there be too much Attack Speed?

I'm toying with the idea of a double strike build.
Yesterday I saw a video from Mathill where he described Faster Attacks as a "not so good support".

I wonder why?
I can't think of one reason as long as you have enough mana.
Is there such a thing as too much attack speed?
Im bad at math.
Last edited by LoTharios on Apr 17, 2024, 4:15:47 AM
Last bumped on Apr 18, 2024, 4:26:13 AM
There can be too much attack speed. It depends what your doing. Without seeing Mathill's video I'm assuming what he means is faster attack's is often not the best support gem for raw dps.

However he could be referring to something else, one of the downsides of attack speed is it will often increase your skill costs.

There are other effect that can benefit from attacking faster beyond just dps, it's skill and build dependent.

There are are some very niche case when attack speed can make your dps go backwards. eg. COC breakpoints.

I think likely what he was saying would be not that faster attacks is bad, just that its relatively bad in a lot of cases related to other support gems.

In term's of your build i'm not sure, faster attacks may well be a good skill for what you are doing.
Last edited by Belegur85 on Apr 17, 2024, 7:02:30 AM
He said it in his Double Strike build overview at 14:54 but without explanation.
I assume its because he already had insane attack speed, but not everyone will get in that dimensions of 30+ attacks/second.

https://youtu.be/etzmpe785S8?si=OKiiCkUQ6rMgvt3v&t=894

Im bad at math.
Your probably right, I did not watch the video but if he already has a lot of attack speed, he will be getting a diminishing return from adding increased attack speed. Where as many skills have a more multiplier which might be better. There's a lot of ways to get attack speed other that supports, but it might be harder to get what the other supports are offering form the tree or items. If you think attack speed is good for your build it probably is.
Last edited by Belegur85 on Apr 17, 2024, 6:26:18 AM
He isn't talking about having too much attack speed as such, just that faster attacks is a bad support because all it does is provide some increased attack speed which you can easily get from the tree or as an affix on gear. Using a support gem for that is almost always a bad idea because support gems are among the few "more damage" suppliers on a build and increase your DPS much more than a bit of attack speed.

"increased" modifiers generally lose effectiveness the more of them you already have and since increased attack speed is fairly easy to come by with other sources the gem is rarely ever worth it. Boneshatter and Trauma Support builds are more or less the only ones using it because they can't use multistrike as that increases their ramping time for trauma stacks.
"
Baharoth15 wrote:

"increased" modifiers generally lose effectiveness the more of them you already have

Makes sense.
Never fully understood the more/increased/multiplier mombochombo since im terrible at math.
Usually i just check what gives me the most dps in PoB.

Thx Baha
Im bad at math.
My understanding is there are pockets of attack timing where your number of APS is getting trimmed by the servers. Just below that threshold is good. In the middle of it is bad. Stack enough to get past it on the upper end and you are good again.

My understanding might have more to do with "while channeling" or "on crit" or on whatever trigger basis you are working with.

On second thought, though, go with what Baharoth says. It's probably all about the support gem being surpassed in worth and desirability by others.

I poop, therefore I am.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info