Optimizing Path of Exile Performance: Seeking Advice on CPU Upgrades!

Hello fellow Exiles,

I'm in the process of planning a PC upgrade specifically to enhance my Path of Exile gaming experience. Currently, I'm running an aging setup with an Intel 7700k CPU and an AMD 6650XT GPU at 1440p default setting. However, I've been encountering significant performance issues, especially when facing large mobs. My CPU latency spikes to hundreds or even thousands, leading to extremely laggy gameplay.

I used to play path of exile on series x with 4k60fps smoothly, now it feels really bad playing with my aging pc.

I'm interested to know what kind of CPUs the community is using to maintain optimal performance in Path of Exile. I'm not planning to upgrade my GPU yet, as it still handles 1440p gaming well for this game.

Any recommendations or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

My current status

In town with players around: 20~30fps
In hideout: 80fps
Act1~Act10: 60~100fps
Red map with juicy content: 20~30fps
Delirium and many mobs: 10fps
Last edited by realm9thfeb on Apr 13, 2024, 4:03:52 PM
Last bumped on Apr 15, 2024, 4:41:19 PM
If you are on a budget I'd recommend the Ryzen 7 5800X3D. It's AM4 so you'll be still looking at DDR4 ram. A 3600MHz CL16 kit on a B450 board that ticks your needs will get the job done and is still considered amongst the top configs for gaming currently. You can get the 5600X3D if you think a six-core CPU fits your needs better.

If you want to spend a little more and jump on a platform that still gets new hardware in the future then I'd recommend taking a look at the Ryzen 7 7800X3D. It is AM5 and runs on DDR5. On a budget you can get a nice B650 board, otherwise x670 or x670e. You can't really go wrong with either though.

Personally I am using a 7800X3D with a 6000MHz CL30 ram kit and it is just phenomenal. Not only just for PoE. I can't give input on Intel though, their products haven't convinced me in years.

Good luck.
Last edited by Ulsarek on Apr 13, 2024, 4:13:06 PM
"My CPU latency spikes to hundreds or even thousands, leading to extremely laggy gameplay."

//
News Report
"A lot of people are dieing in prison. We think the solution is to shrink the prison so less people die."
//

I wonder if anybody gets this.
It's funny because it's true.
"
Ulsarek wrote:
If you are on a budget I'd recommend the Ryzen 7 5800X3D.

I don't agree with this advise. AM4 is a dead platform. The 5800X3D is a great drop in if you're currently on AM4, but a waste of money to start from scratch with. You want a 7800X3D.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info