The new "Crystal Resonance" atlas passive doesn't seem worth it at all. Am I missing something?

For those who haven't been keeping up with the news, GGG released the full list of scarabs as well as the new atlas tree in advance. I'm already cooking up an atlas build and, as always, I grab the essence clusters.

Here's the thing: GGG nerfed Essence. They removed the notable which duplicates monsters with shrieking essences, and they replaced the one which prevents monsters from being released if you use a remnant of corruption on them with a new one that gives map bosses one random essence modifier from each monster you kill. Additionally, when using a remnant of corruption on the essence monster, all essences on them are transformed into copies of one randomly chosen essence they had.

I expect the shrieking essence monster duplication thing was removed in order to make you use the scarab which turns all rares on the map into essence mobs. With any luck, that's not going to be a rare and expensive item. What I'm more concerned about is the Crystal Resonance notable.

So let's say you have a monster with shrieking essence and a bunch of low value ones. When using the remnant of corruption, there's a chance that shrieking essence will be replaced with one of the low value ones instead. There's no mention this passive can include essences which transform and then have a chance of replacing the others with it.

I'm no expert who understands the complete ins and outs of game mechanics, so at its face, this passive seems completely worthless to me. You brick your ability to get the super essence types (horror, etc), and you make the map boss even harder to kill as you take out essence mobs. Imagine if you use the scarab which turns all rare monsters into essence mobs and kill them before reaching the boss. You think a rare mob with 5+ essences are rough? Now try fighting an Elder guardian with 20+.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
Last edited by Pizzarugi on Mar 27, 2024, 11:24:57 AM
Last bumped on Apr 21, 2024, 9:03:42 AM
GGG moved my thread from the feedback section to gameplay help. I'm not entirely sure why. This thread is more of a critique on the value of this atlas notable as it seems completely detrimental to utilize.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
i think im gonna "waste" 1 atlas tree to test essences but yeah it seem heavily nerfed
d:-D*
"
PyleWarlord wrote:
i think im gonna "waste" 1 atlas tree to test essences but yeah it seem heavily nerfed

Please keep me informed on how that pans out.

"
Pizzarugi wrote:
GGG moved my thread from the feedback section to gameplay help. I'm not entirely sure why. This thread is more of a critique on the value of this atlas notable as it seems completely detrimental to utilize.

mods dont serve any real purpose on the internet. they do shit like that to pretend to be useful.
some people say the map boss that got the essence modifier still drop essence, so that it still effectively "duplicate"

But if it is not intended behavior, it seems like a complete wasted skill point, just for remove essence from monster to make it easier, and then make the map boss harder for nothing
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
I would just like for the node to clarify (or really find any clarification on that matter anywhere) if Remnants of Corruption still apply their usual outcome before the Essence that replaces every other is chosen.
E.g. is it possible for an Essence mob to only have Essences of Horror?
Last edited by sham_pain on Apr 9, 2024, 6:41:14 AM
"
sham_pain wrote:
I would just like for the node to clarify (or really find any clarification on that matter anywhere) if Remnants of Corruption still apply their usual outcome before the Essence that replaces every other is chosen.

It's not. Uber essences aren't possible with Crystal Resonance.
"
cavemandiary2 wrote:
"
sham_pain wrote:

It's not. Uber essences aren't possible with Crystal Resonance.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who figured this out. I've been using the node for a while and not once have I gotten a T8 essence to show up.

So yeah, I think this passive is a noob trap more than anything. You're excluded from T8 essences, you have a chance of a T3 essence replacing all of the others on a mob, and you create a boss that's effectively one entire essence mob and is absolutely bonkers to fight.

It should be replaced with the old one, where remnants won't break mobs out of their crystals.

Last edited by Pizzarugi on Apr 12, 2024, 3:59:09 PM
Yeh, it's overall pretty weak. The only use i've found for it was when I was low on Remnants of Corruption and too lazy to buy new ones while also using Scarabs of Ascension. That was there was no need to corrupt, and i'd (partially) make up for the lack of uber essences from the boss drops.

But yeah, getting uber essences and avoiding a rippy boss is probably both safer and more profitable. Perhaps it's for SSF?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info