What am I doing wrong with Burning Arrow of Vigour?

I leveled up a char to 67 to be an ignite BA build, Brazen_Hussy in my profile to see tree/gear (I moved chest with the gems to a different char). I'm struggling to kill yellow and boss mobs way under my level even with single target focus supports gem. I even tested both regular and BA Vigo(u)r on the zone boss in Act2 Boiling Lake (lvl 62). It's a pretty isolated and simple boss for a dps check.

1st Test the gem setup was: BA Vigor > EDA > Combustion > Cruelty > Volatility > Burning
At point black range (using Chin Sol), I let WoC hit the boss for exposure, cast Infernal cry for "covered in ash", then fired 3 back to back sots, let ignite burn out. The damage on the boss was 3 units out of 11 (11/8)

2nd Test the gem setup was: Reg BA > EDA > Combustion > Cruelty > Volatility > Burning
At point black range (using Chin Sol), I let WoC hit the boss for exposure, cast Infernal cry for "covered in ash", then fired 3 back to back sots, let ignite burn out. The damage on the boss was 2.5 units out of 11 (11/8.5).

I know reg BA sucks and I left Volatility in even though it's not the best, but it was to compare. So, with no investment into reg BA (aka, all that life tree and gear) it's practically the same...

My char has 4844 life and BA Vigor is at lvl 17, which is 23% of life so that's 1114. Just doing regular stuff with clearing support gems (Pierce, Ignite Proliferation) and max rage the tool tip says 14K shot damage; there is NO WAY that 14k is doing so little ignite damage. Other chars at level lower kill the boss in ~5 seconds with no ramp up. This guy way over level is taking ~20sec

I don't see the point in carrying on with this char considering this test, but am I missing something? Like, am I not understanding the mechanics for Burning Arrow of Vigor? Is the added dmg literally added dmg after the fact that cannot be modified or cause ailments? Further, is it not meant for a slow attack ignite build; just ignore the 25% ignite and use a Quill Rain?

"I'm not angry, I'm disappointed..."

Last bumped on Jan 5, 2024, 10:39:26 PM
Any comments?
"
Chrom wrote:

I don't see the point in carrying on with this char considering this test, but am I missing something? Like, am I not understanding the mechanics for Burning Arrow of Vigor? Is the added dmg literally added dmg after the fact that cannot be modified or cause ailments?
The damage multiplier is bad (100%) unlike with the old version. Thats why its not inherently better.

"
Chrom wrote:
Any comments?
Im not properly educated on this topic. Some streamer or somebody made some build IIRC. Maybe look that up.

Your comparison-with-normal-BA numbers are far as quick math suggests at least close to expected. Absolute numbers dont know, you can look up the boss on poedb if you want.

Also my half-educated guess is that unless you min-max (which you didnt) for the new BA version then its not going to be better than the old one. (Not trying to say that the new one will be better if you do min-max for it.)

Also if you look at https://poe.ninja/builds/affliction?skills=Burning+Arrow+of+Vigour you will see that most builds using it have alot of life. Many >10k.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
It's definitely not for big hits. One of the biggest damage multiplier's for added damage builds is attack speed. Aside from that, Burning Arrow of Vigour requires a specific build (tonnes and tonnes of life) to be worth using. Because it has 100% damage effectiveness instead of the standard version's 300% all other sources of added damage from your weapon etcetera will only be 1/3rd as effective. All your damage must come from your life because added damage from other sources are simply not worth it because of this. And even then, a standard burning arrow skill with a 600 total base damage (including added damage) is as good as a 7200 life burning arrow of vigour, and they get the added benefit of using attack speed as a means of multiplying their damage.

In short, you need a lot of life to make it better than regular burning arrow to make up for vigour's downsides. And even then, it is still (a variant of) a mediocre skill called burning arrow.
Last edited by Bardharr on Jan 5, 2024, 10:40:21 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info