They'll never directly say it, but I am sure they changed their PoE 2 scope and plans when...

"They'll never directly say it, but I am sure they changed their PoE 2 scope and plans when Blizzard stumbled at Blizzcon 2019.

The original plan was to have a product to compete with an assumed 20/21 D4, so they set out to heavily modify PoE 1 to morph that into the sequel, because that's all they could have done in that time frame. But as we now learned, that has all been changed after the 2019 Exilecon because they realized they had way more time."

an interesting quote I found from reddit user /u/Mr_Creed

and maybe they will 'say it' if asked about it at current Exilecon
Last bumped on Jul 30, 2023, 11:08:43 PM
Blizzard failed.. why still run after them????
i dont know how GGG feels about diablo. i doubt GGG and diablo audiences have ever had any overlap. the people that would play poe havent played diablo since 2006, and the people that play diablo are probably never going to put in the effort to play this way more hardcore and commitment requiring game.

but again, thats my take, GGG might think otherwise. i could be wrong, but i honestly doubt you will take even 3% of the diablo playerbase away from diablo with path of exile. its simply a much different game than d3, d4, or even d2r is.
"
vampirekid13 wrote:
i dont know how GGG feels about diablo. i doubt GGG and diablo audiences have ever had any overlap. the people that would play poe havent played diablo since 2006, and the people that play diablo are probably never going to put in the effort to play this way more hardcore and commitment requiring game.

but again, thats my take, GGG might think otherwise. i could be wrong, but i honestly doubt you will take even 3% of the diablo playerbase away from diablo with path of exile. its simply a much different game than d3, d4, or even d2r is.

I'm quite achieved poe player, that also has 100% achievement completion in d4 and was 1. barb in d3 ladder. I also visit both communities and can assure you that there is huge overlap.

In d4 discord for example the reaction to poe-live stream was extremely positive.

I can not speak for casual gamers that have 50 children and 93 jobs playing 3 seconds per year, but when it comes to people that actually engage the arpg community overlap could not be bigger.

btw when people try to call d4 better in the communities they stoop so low as to compare the first release of the product rather than to compare it today. So they compare very expensive game with thousands of developers to something done by 18people in a garage 13 years ago.

So yeah poe is big winner for people that tried both in general. I'm capable of enjoying both products but gotta give my hat off to chris and say poe is flying levels above d4 especially when it comes to after campaign content. D4 has fantastic cutscenes tho.

Also d4 impression from discord and reddit is that it is basically comatose untill season 3 or more arrives because dev team is very slow. All my friends uninstalled d4 already and are waiting for some endgame additions to come back with plan to play baldur's gate 3 now.
I feel pretty, Oh, so pretty,
I feel pretty, and witty and gay,
And I pity Any girl who isn’t me today!
Last edited by CAKE on Jul 28, 2023, 11:03:45 PM
I bet what made GGG change their mind when they introduced the patch that nerfed support gems/flasks and the community rioted. They need a fresh base to build on, instead of pulling back on PoE 1's 13 years of power creep.
"
CAKE wrote:

So yeah poe is big winner for people that tried both in general. I'm capable of enjoying both products but gotta give my hat off to chris and say poe is flying levels above d4 especially when it comes to after campaign content. D4 has fantastic cutscenes tho.

Also d4 impression from discord and reddit is that it is basically comatose untill season 3 or more arrives because dev team is very slow. All my friends uninstalled d4 already and are waiting for some endgame additions to come back with plan to play baldur's gate 3 now.

yes.

no one is arguing poe from 13 years ago isnt better than d3 or d4 here, at least i agree with you, even though i cant seem to get hooked on poe because of the learning curve.

d4 feels like a shell. it will eventually maybe evolve into a good game, or maybe it will evolve into d3, who knows. i dont.
"
vampirekid13 wrote:
i dont know how GGG feels about diablo. i doubt GGG and diablo audiences have ever had any overlap.

They definitely did - the guy who introduced Chris Wilson at Exilecon today (twitch streamer Kripparian) was a Diablo guy who switched to PoE. Brought a big following and a lot of attention at a time when PoE needed it. Current (popular?) streamer Quin69 is/was also a Diablo guy. Idk, so many ppl play Blizzard games its hard to imagine most people playing PoE haven't been exposed to or played a Diablo game at some point. The hardcore PoE audience probably wants different things than what they will find in D4, and the casual D4 audience probably doesn't want to mess with the vertical and horizontal landscape of PoE, but the definitely have overlap.

"
CAKE wrote:
I can not speak for casual gamers that have 50 children and 93 jobs playing 3 seconds per year

I love that this phrase keeps getting more and more extreme

"
KZA wrote:
I bet what made GGG change their mind when they introduced the patch that nerfed support gems/flasks and the community rioted. They need a fresh base to build on, instead of pulling back on PoE 1's 13 years of power creep.

I would say it probably wasn't one thing, it was a lot of learnings over the years and Expedition in 2021 def could have been one of them.

I bet they had a lot of days in the office weighing their options, but yeah, I would love someone to ask Jonathan/Chris when they knew they were changing directions on this, like, what was the 'ahah!' moment?
Last edited by innervation on Jul 28, 2023, 11:46:53 PM
"
KZA wrote:

I'm betting also similar to this. Remember when they 1st announced PoE2, they said any changes in the current game are leading up to PoE 2, & they have this new vision where they want PoE 2.

Then, they gradually implement those changes to the current game league after league, & all they got was a backlash.

So instead of forcing their vision on the players who want the "classic" PoE, & end up with the game that nobody wants to play, why not make a separate game entirely?

Keep PoE 1 for players who want the classic experience of PoE, & PoE 2 for their newly implemented vision.
"A game IS supposed to waste your time but it's not supposed to make you FEEL like you're wasting your time:
It's supposed to make you WANT to waste your time."
"

If you mean making nearly 1 billion in profits a "fail"...
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].
"
AdRonZh3Ro wrote:
"

If you mean making nearly 1 billion in profits a "fail"...

Profit means nothing; It's like saying candy crush is good just because it made profit shit that's like saying D3 was good because of the sells.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info