Lordly plate armor

Hi, I love the new art from the latest patch, but I have a few comments on the design for one of the armors, namely the "lordly plate". This is supposed to be a high level plate armor, and is very nicely designed overall; however, there is one major flaw: it doesn't cover your arms.
Heavy armors are supposed to provide the best protection, therefore they should cover as much of your body as possible (arms included).
Below you have a screenshot that should help claryfy this point. Top left you have my character wearing the "lordly plate", and as you can see my arms are naked. Even if I wear gauntlets (top right) part of my arms are still exposed (red arrow).
Real heavy armors (bottom right) are more like the "duelist cuirass" (bottom left), where the arms are fully protected. I think that so far the "duelist cuirass" is one of the best designed armors in the game, and I hope that the "lordly armor" could be fixed to follow its example and look a bit more realistic.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought this should be addressed, if not for the "lordly plate" (too late?) at least for the design of any future plate armor.

Cheers
Oh, and I almost forgot, it would also be nice to see a set of parts that go with the "lordly armor", like "lordly helm", "lordly boots" and "lordly gauntlets".

Actually, it would be nice to see sets for all armors, something similar to what you see in the elder scrolls games.

I know that some sets are planned, but as far as I know those are only rare sets that provide some extra bonus when you find all the parts. I would like to see common sets as well.
Another thing that I have just noticed is that armors in PoE don't cover the legs; however, since you don't have greaves as a separate armor piece you should then include the leg protection with the chest pieces. When one equips an armor (especially the heavy ones) the steel plates should cover both arms and legs, and not just the chest (unless it's just a chestplate).

I find it really weird that when my character equips a high level heavy armor like the Lordly Plate I can still see my naked arms and my fancy pants!
The body should be completely covered in steel in order to reflect the high level of protection that a heavy armor provides.
"
Torvas wrote:
I find it really weird that when my character equips a high level heavy armor like the Lordly Plate I can still see my naked arms and my fancy pants!
The body should be completely covered in steel in order to reflect the high level of protection that a heavy armor provides.

Agreed. I believe this is more of an issue with them still using placeholder graphics/models more than anything. Hopefully the current high level armours aren't ment to look identical to the level 30 ones. (Mid 30s is the last time you encounter a new model for armour pieces, everything beyond that is recycled).

Edit: Just noticed Lordly Plate is the first time you see that particular model. Majestic Plate and Glorious Plate use the same model.
TehHammer is not a crime!
Last edited by TheRabbit303 on Jun 22, 2012, 6:26:26 PM
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:

Agreed. I believe this is more of an issue with them still using placeholder graphics/models more than anything. Hopefully the current high level armours aren't ment to look identical to the level 30 ones. (Mid 30s is the last time you encounter a new model for armour pieces, everything beyond that is recycled).

Edit: Just noticed Lordly Plate is the first time you see that particular model. Majestic Plate and Glorious Plate use the same model.

The devs said that every item will eventually have its unique art (both 2D and 3D), so I am not too afraid of seeing the same armor models over and over again in the final version; however, I hope that they will address the design of the armors before creating a ton of new content.

It would be really bad if the artists are currently working on a large number of new heavy armors that all lack arms and legs parts!
Last edited by Torvas on Jun 23, 2012, 5:46:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info