Why was threshold jewels removed?

I mean some where quite good and most certainly needed to make them usefull.
Last bumped on Feb 7, 2022, 10:43:55 AM
"
WickedSausage wrote:
I mean some where quite good and most certainly needed to make them usefull.

part of the "power creep" that GGG doesn't accept anymore....
Long story shot, a threshold jewel that provides straight up power and feels obligaory to use is a bad designed threshold jewel. A good designed one should change skill's features, maybe have downsides or alters the way a skill works. They started to change them quite some time ago, here are related extractions I managed to find. I think long before that, there was a podcast, Q&A or something where GGG explained the philosophy more detailed but I couldn't find it.

"
Some of Path of Exile’s “threshold jewels” encourage different playstyles for the skills they interact with. Others just buff the skill. We’re slowly moving towards the former type, making changes to existing threshold jewels that feel mandatory for their skill.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2871244

"
The Unique Threshold Jewels for Dual Strike, Magma Orb, Molten Strike and Fireball have been changed. They now provide effects that change how the skill is built or downsides to offset their beneficial effect, each acting as a way to change how you build or play a skill rather than a must-have boost at the cost of a jewel slot. Glacial Hammer's "Shattered Chains" threshold jewel will no longer drop.

All of these skills have been given increases to damage, area or utility to compensate for the power lost from the Threshold Jewel.

We'll continue to look at the roles of other Threshold Jewels over time, making changes when possible and appropriate.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2873295

This time (in 3.17) they just deleted most of the jewels isntead of changing them. I personally would like to see one for Shock Nova that makes it instant skill with cd, like Vortex.
Last edited by MonaHuna on Feb 7, 2022, 10:44:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info