Discord lag spikes - only with poe

Hi there,

Got a discord issue while playing poe.

Until I start the game, everything is fine with discord. No latency at all. But whenever I click "play" on poe (meaning, it's ok to launch the client as long as I'm not in the game), discord starts having huge lag spikes (goes from 30ms to 2k ping), unreliably. It'll be fine for a few seconds, then will spike again, etc.

It's been going on for one week now. It's only there when I play poe, not any other game. I didn't change anything in particular that I can remember.

Seems this guy here had the same issue : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2234918/page/1#p16137500

I've tried a lot of options in both poe and discord, tried using my phone connection (same issue). Did -nosound, basic audio drivers on poe, no dice.

Poe is working fine (no lag issue at all), it's just causing discord to lag spike.

Got the latest drivers for everything.

Any idea?
Last bumped on May 16, 2021, 6:06:08 PM
windows 7 or 10?
path of exile full screen or borderless window?

also you should try to disable discord hardware acceleration ( options - appearance )
"
Asunaki_Tabi wrote:
windows 7 or 10?
path of exile full screen or borderless window?

also you should try to disable discord hardware acceleration ( options - appearance )

Windows 10
Borderless window - tried fullscreen to no effect
Tried disabling hardware acceleration on discord : no effect.

Got 2 screens : the hardware acceleration is working fine. No stutter, no nothing. Just increased ping on discord leading to a robotic voice.

Performance with ctrl+alt+del is fine, nothing out of expectations. This doesn't seem to be caused by slow performance.
Last edited by Kethryweryn on Mar 24, 2021, 2:20:42 PM
Hi ever since the 16th of march I have been having massive connection and latency Issues

it happens randomly no matter which server I am on sometimes the game works better in one server than the other sometimes it doesn't

I have been playing this game for over 700 hours and this problem only started recently so I know I can run the game fine on my end

here is my speed test: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11150062378

and here is a Pastebin for DxDiag report: https://pastebin.com/vQ3AADBq

I love this game and really hope you will be able to help me.
what if you use discord from chrome instead of standalone client ? same issue ?
"
Aexnd wrote:
Hi ever since the 16th of march I have been having massive connection and latency Issues

it happens randomly no matter which server I am on sometimes the game works better in one server than the other sometimes it doesn't

I have been playing this game for over 700 hours and this problem only started recently so I know I can run the game fine on my end

here is my speed test: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11150062378

and here is a Pastebin for DxDiag report: https://pastebin.com/vQ3AADBq

I love this game and really hope you will be able to help me.

you need to follow forum guidelines and make your own therad.
You also need to make a 300+ packet WinMTR report to the instance where it lags WHILE you are there playing and having the problem.
oh ok sorry will do
"
Asunaki_Tabi wrote:
what if you use discord from chrome instead of standalone client ? same issue ?

Same.

Here's what the discord ping looks like :
- launched the graph at 16:31
- first lag spike is when I enter the game (not just the client, the game itself)
- several lag spikes ensue
- after the last spike I leave poe and continue talking on discord, everything is back to normal

I thought maybe a weird routing from my ISP was the cause of this, but using my 4g connection from my phone (not the same provider) does the same, so it appears to be caused by my computer. Which is weird, as I didn't change any setting and it started suddenly (maybe did a windows update though. Still weird. ^^)
I have the exact same issue and a friend too, we get lag spikes while being on discord ( overlay off - hardware acceleration off ) and if we quit discord and launch it again or leave it closed it removes lag spikes, i remember a same issue back in the days on apex legends, i hope we get some help because this is really annoying to not be able to use discord while playing poe
"
504ERROR wrote:
I have the exact same issue and a friend too, we get lag spikes while being on discord ( overlay off - hardware acceleration off ) and if we quit discord and launch it again or leave it closed it removes lag spikes, i remember a same issue back in the days on apex legends, i hope we get some help because this is really annoying to not be able to use discord while playing poe

I still haven't found any fix. Still occuring. Messaged another guy who had the problem a few months ago and he said the same thing.

Seems the only option I got left is a windows reinstall, hoping it'll fix the issue but I'm not ready to do so. ^^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info