cant install PoE (mapviewoffile error).

"Unable to MapviewofFile for Chunk header.. Error Code: 8 Offset: 17673682944. Size: 25706"

Now, Ive played PoE several times in the past on this very computer. My settings have been roughly the same, and I actually played this game during the Syndicate event (or patch?). To make some space on my HD I removed a bunch of games some months ago, POE being one of them. But, as these things usually go, some friends had me reinstall the game.

And I cant install it. I constantly get this message. Ive removed/uninstalled the game, removed the files, for a fresh install, but.. nothing. Nothing seems to help.

Tips and pointers are welcome.

PC specs are:

Windows 7 64bit
Processor Intel(R)Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @2.80 Ghz
16Gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Last bumped on Sep 16, 2019, 7:40:59 AM
Just a few theories based on the information provided:

1. Multiple hard drives or just the one? At least 30 GB free space? Defragged the hard drive?
2. Is the RAM actually showing as available? One might be have become faulty and needs to either be re-inserted or replaced. Several ways to check available RAM.
3. Any network issues? I saw a post where someone with the exact same error fixed it by turning off their VMWare. Could be something off with your adapter settings.
4. Steam or Standalone? Same error for both?
5. When you did the clean install, did you delete both the Program Files GGG folder and the My Documents Path of Exile folder?
6. I can't remember if you can change your directory during install, but worth a shot to rule out issues with the directory. Maybe it tries to write to something that it doesn't have access to.
Re-Download the installer file if you can. After that clear your %temp directory and reinstall game.
"
blackdeath101 wrote:
Just a few theories based on the information provided:

1. Multiple hard drives or just the one? At least 30 GB free space? Defragged the hard drive?
2. Is the RAM actually showing as available? One might be have become faulty and needs to either be re-inserted or replaced. Several ways to check available RAM.
3. Any network issues? I saw a post where someone with the exact same error fixed it by turning off their VMWare. Could be something off with your adapter settings.
4. Steam or Standalone? Same error for both?
5. When you did the clean install, did you delete both the Program Files GGG folder and the My Documents Path of Exile folder?
6. I can't remember if you can change your directory during install, but worth a shot to rule out issues with the directory. Maybe it tries to write to something that it doesn't have access to.

1) 1 hard drive, it has 200GB of free space. It is not fragmented
2) RAM is available as I was only running default programs, discord, and a small game.
3) my network has no issues
4) standalone, I never link it through steam (I have no reason for it)

5) No I did not, I will do so now though, thank you

"
Re-Download the installer file if you can. After that clear your %temp directory and reinstall game.

Will do! Thank you, both of you. I'll let you know if this works or not

well.... I removed the temp files, folder, etc.

The installation itself goes fine (it did before). its when the actual update needs to install that it goes to hell. So, I still got the same error again, albeit the code is different.

"Unable to MapviewofFile for Chunk header.. Error Code: 8 Offset: 2596995072. Size: 68533"
I tried another solution offered up from reddit

"
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072

However, that didnt do anything either. Got the same error (different code again) after a while. During the installation, I was using about 6gb of Ram, out of the 16 available. My CPU wasn't using high amounts either, and the HD definitely has plenty of space left.

Getting kinda sad because I wanted to play with my friends this weekend, but apparantly I'll have to wait for next week, assuming I find a solution (I dont really have time during weekdays for this)
Run PackCheck and look if there are hash errors (and then restart and POE should re-download and update the data).
32 bit or 64 bit version of POE? Maybe try the other?
Try running the game as administrator when patching, could still be a permissions issue. The installer might have the permissions, but the game itself doesn't, so the patcher fails.
"
Th69 wrote:
Run PackCheck and look if there are hash errors (and then restart and POE should re-download and update the data).

Actually did that. The program ran for nearly an hour because apparantly *every file* had to be fixed. The most common error that I could pick up was "not in sync"?

Anyway, I just did a full defrag. A complete chkdsk for the entire drive. Scanned and cleaned everything. Removed *anything* related to PoE, and about to reinstall the game, with administrative rights (I did this before, but just to let you know what Im doing this time). Also installing it in a different folder this time.

"
32 bit or 64 bit version of POE? Maybe try the other?
Try running the game as administrator when patching, could still be a permissions issue. The installer might have the permissions, but the game itself doesn't, so the patcher fails.

the site only gives me one version and Im not able to select a different version.
Last edited by Michelrpg on Sep 15, 2019, 1:35:29 PM
"
Michelrpg wrote:
the site only gives me one version and Im not able to select a different version.

It will be in the Path of Exile folder that gets installed. C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\PathOfExile = 32, or PathofExile_64 = 64.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info