"Unable to create swap chain" in DirectX 11 since windows update

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, Windows 10, 8 gb of RAM.

Previously I have been able to use the DirectX 11 client. Now, when I try to run using DirectX 11, I get this series of errors, the game crashes, and I am prompted to restart using the DirectX 9 client:

I don't know what "Failed to create swap chain" even means. The only correlating event I can think of is that Windows had a big update yesterday or the day before. (The kind that has to restart several times and takes half an hour.) Or it might be a PoE problem. I don't know. Any ideas?
Last bumped on Dec 13, 2017, 2:33:45 AM
SOLVED (for now) but I would like to leave this thread up for anyone else having the specific problem.

I originally tried reinstalling PoE, and manually removing windows updates. After reading the following thread, I traced the culprit to the Windows Creator update:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2039125

I rolled back (Removed) the Creator update that took place a few days ago and I can now run with DirectX 11.

Steps:

Go to settings>Update&Security>>Recovery>"Go back to previous version of windows"

Takes a few minutes but it worked, so far. I don't know if Windows will automatically update this again later.
Last edited by Elemee on Dec 10, 2017, 12:50:12 AM
Chm, same GPU, sme problem

Not sure if I want to roll back the update :/
Exactly same problem. But unfortunately I've delete the backup files and now can't even use this final method. Things always go worse:(
PS: Mine 630M & 2+8G RAM
Last edited by Breeze_Kaze on Dec 12, 2017, 7:19:18 AM
same issue here same GPU and got the same shit after Windows Update.

Directx 9 works for me though...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info