Crypt map appears to be bugged? Will PoE 3.0 improve performance?

Playing a SC Standard Elementalist (level 89) and Crypt map is bugged.
Here's my findings after experiencing terrible Crypt frame rates:
Spoiler
First some screen shots of Crypt performance:

Framerate at 1:25 pm:

Framerate at 1:27 showing full animation of Whispering Ice Vile Staff + Cast While Chaneliing:

Framerate at 1:30 pm after killing the Crypt boss:

Everything in boss room is dead, only things moving are my golems (I have a Chaos and Flame golem on a CWDT to self cast during mob/boss battles so you see the boss battle triggered them) and of course my swaying witch. Frame rate is stuck at 12 fps with no action. I still have more than 50 monsters left to kill but none in range or even off-screen needing extra processing.

I went back to my hideout, was AFK until 3:15 pm, and went back to Crypt boss room:

A little better at about 34 fps in the same empty Crypt boss room.

Went back to hideout to see if Internet latency (Comcast) was to blame:
WDC realm from hideout with 2 golems:

Nope, latency is about 50 ms which is normal for me. Went back to Crypt and watch what happens when I removed my Ice Golem gem:

My Internet latency stayed about the same but with no spikes and this shows that by turning off my golems the frame time dropped to below 20 ms (as it should in a room with everything dead) and the fps jumped back up to normal 60 fps (vsync enabled). To verify I put the golem gem back in and re-activated them. The latency went up and was spiky and fps dropped to low 30s again. Took the gem out again to prove I could duplicate this problem:

With no golems my in map performance matches my in hideout performance with the golems turned on.

Ok, first thoughts you will have is what kind of crappy computer do I have. Here's my gaming rig specs:

Intel I7-870 overclocked to 3.5 GHz (4C-8T): runs rock solid stable and cool.
8 GB of G.Skill DDR3-1600 ram.
Gigabyte R9 270 Radeon with 2 GB vram (PoE full screen 1920 x 1080 with DX9ex):
Spoiler

Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB SSD (starts up PoE in under 5 secs so no bottleneck here).
Windows 7 Pro x64 OS (been running rock solid for 5+ years).

So I have well above the minimum specs to run PoE (my rig ain't shitty!). As final proof of Crypt map being bugged I ran a twin boss Courtyard map:

Spoiler

Courtyard map start with 2 ice golems and normal performance.

So far pretty normal with nothing killing my framerates.

Necromancers are known frame rate killers and this shot of necro + mobs + ice daggers + fire beam + 2 golems (they're in there somewhere) aren't killing my frame rates too much. Other necros encountered with only minor frame rate drops as per usual.

The arena battle went smoothly even with the twinned bosses spawned by a prophecy:

Pretty good boss loot: 2 red maps + The Three Dragons Golden Mask + another rare amulet for the regal recipe + a couple of chromes + silver coin + some rares to vendor.

So something is definitely bugged with the Crypt map.

Have you experienced other bugged maps that kill your frame rate or is there something with the Crypt map that is creating server side calculation overload and killing fps? What's going on here other than a poor performing custom game engine? Why should golems cause so much extra server side calculations in Crypt when another map with just as many mobs is fine with 2 golems?

GGG is still deep into coding and balancing and all with PoE 3.0 but has there been any info on performance improvements? Or will the PoE realm servers get crushed on day 1 of FoO like D3 servers did? (Can we all say "server overload"!)
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last bumped on Jun 26, 2017, 9:05:33 PM
Follow up note: I did try both WDC and Dallas realms with the Crypt map and both locations were low fps with golems on and ok with golems off.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

Any issues on other indoor maps like Dungeon or Catacombs ? I wonder if its a pathing issue
Only an issue in Crypt?

I have a solid rig as well, and run most of my FPS games at 1080p on high or ultra settings just fine. POE took a great step forward with that optimization patch a few months back, and the beta runs even better.

That said, it's totally silly that an isometric ARPG drops into single digit FPS in parties, and routinely has my GFX card fans running max speed while I'm afking in the Mud Flats or something.
"
ImSlower wrote:
That said, it's totally silly that an isometric ARPG drops into single digit FPS in parties, and routinely has my GFX card fans running max speed while I'm afking in the Mud Flats or something.
/*wk mode on*/
hey, don't be so harsh at ggg, they are just a small indy studio
/*wk mode off*/
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
ImSlower wrote:
Only an issue in Crypt?

I have a solid rig as well, and run most of my FPS games at 1080p on high or ultra settings just fine. POE took a great step forward with that optimization patch a few months back, and the beta runs even better.

With the recent E3 show and all titles being showcased at 4K resolutions including PoE I should think 1080p isn't that many pixels to push on our video cards. There has to be something else that is causing the server side computation load to explode such that the frame time is so high (over 100 ms). Simple math tells us if it takes 100 ms per server iteration and then send the calculations results back to the client that we only can get 10 fps. What golems are doing in the Crypt map to cause this is something I can't visually see. Further baffling is why after the boss fight is over and everything in that room and other nearby rooms are dead, other than having to client side generate the dead carcass' of the creatures there aren't any damage caculations to roll against them or my exile, and only a few dead creatures have dead body animations to generate so the mystery of what I can physically see with golems on verses golems off is definitely puzzling.

From our player point of view we see PoE as a black box and our inputs dictate what should come out of that black box (the server side simulation) but that is as far as we can go in attempting to understand such fps killing phenomena as I experience with the Crypt map verses other maps. I picked Courtyard randomly as an example of a higher tier map than Crypt that I had in my stash to show GGG another map that played perfectly fine on my computer. Even the dreaded fps killing necros couldn't bring it down to single digit frame rates. The final Courtyard arena battle has a ton of animations going on with 4 bosses and that plays out very smoothly (fps drops into the 40s or even 30s is common, normal, and perfectly acceptable). But for Crypt to get stuck at 12 fps after "everything dies" as my witch proclaims is indicating a logic flaw somewhere in the PoE code depths that needs to ferreted out and fixed.

This wasn't my first Crypt map with low frame rates but it was my first time with a build that can use 2 golems and really amplified the problem that golems cause with super high server side calculation times. All I can tell from the client end is that the golem code needs some major optimizations but that may be a too simplistic view of the PoE "black box" server simulation.

Just read page 20 on the other thread Low fps or fps drops. Interesting trick GGG has for PoE 3.0 to temporarily lower 3D effects resolutions in situations with high quantities of particle effects all going on to lessen the GPU calculation loads and thus reduce major fps drops. Anything to improve fps is very welcome. However, nothing can explain why with 0 creatures alive (thus little to none animation computations) and 0 particle effects in the Crypt boss room that with golems on I got stuck at 12 fps (or later stuck at 34 fps) and golems off was normal 60 fps (with vsync on). That can't be explained away as just GPU overload on my AMD R9 270.

"
Arrowneous wrote:
That can't be explained away as just GPU overload on my AMD R9 270.
Oh it definitely can. You just haven't nurtured your inner WK enough yet :p
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info