[2.2] Gladiator Cleave/Dual Strike

This build won't work until such time as cleave/dual wield counts as hitting with both weapons instead of applying damage from both weapons but only counting as a MH hit.

This is my first formal guide that I've made. It's by no means optimized yet and will be changing over the course of the Perandus league. If you have suggestions as to content or presentation, please let me know.

This character is centered around the Gladiator Ascendancy talents Outmatch and Outlast, Gratuitous Violence and Blood in the Eyes. We use cleave and dual strike since these abilities use both weapons every attack, meaning we get the Outmatch and Outlast frenzy/endurance generation chance on every kill. We use either piercing swords or unique items to optimize chance to apply bleeds to enemies, which in turn provides a significant damage boost.

Applying Bleeds
Spoiler
Jack, The Axe provides bleeding on hit. Vagan can mastercraft the same bleeding on hit mod. Piercing swords provide chance to bleed.

Swords Tree
Spoiler

Full Tree
First 31 pts
62 pts
The idea is to make a beeline for dmg nodes first to optimize leveling speed in easier content. Fill in life / defense / bleed nodes later on. May need to take mana nodes while leveling if you don't want to link Blood Magic. Elreon rings should work for endgame funding of the skill cost.

Axes Tree
Spoiler

Full Tree
First 31
62 pts
Get dmg nodes first for faster leveling. May need to take mana nodes while leveling if you don't want to link Blood Magic. Elreon rings should work for endgame funding of the skill cost.

Weapons

Bandits
Spoiler
I would recommend Oak/Kill/Oak, but Oak/Kill/Kraityn Oak/Kill/Kill and Kill/Kill/Kill would also be reasonable.

Gem Links
Spoiler

MH - Whirling Blades (swords) or Leap Slam (axes) linked with Faster Attacks and Fortify
OH - CwDT - Inc AoE - Curse of choice (vuln / enfeeble / temp chains)
Helm - Warcry of choice - Vaal Haste - Vaal Grace - Inc Duration
Chest - Cleave - Melee Phys - Added Fire Dmg - Life Leech - Faster Attacks - Multistrike
Gloves - Dual Strike - Melee Phys - Bloodlust - Faster Attacks
Boots - Hatred - HoA - Enlighten - Golem

Jack, The Axe applies bleeds on hit. You can use your mobility skill to apply bleeds and then use bloodlust for damage. Alternatively just use cleave to apply bleeds and a dual strike with bloodlust for single target dps.
Last edited by Rutheford on Mar 2, 2016, 12:30:14 PM
Last bumped on Mar 7, 2016, 7:24:49 PM
1. Jack, the Axe is kinda lousy. Probably better off just going with sword passives and the natural bleed chance

2. This one is far more painful to read, but I had the same idea as you with Outmatch and Outlast, but neither Cleave nor Dual Strike will give both charges. They give Frenzy only. I don't have the source, but Mark_GGG made a post somewhere explaining that because of technology limitations, they both count as main hand only attacks. Since there is no alternating involved they're actually worse than other attacks for this talent because they CANNOT generate the endurance Charges - Frenzy Charges only.
Well that really sucks.
"
1. Jack, the Axe is kinda lousy. Probably better off just going with sword passives and the natural bleed chance

2. This one is far more painful to read, but I had the same idea as you with Outmatch and Outlast, but neither Cleave nor Dual Strike will give both charges. They give Frenzy only. I don't have the source, but Mark_GGG made a post somewhere explaining that because of technology limitations, they both count as main hand only attacks. Since there is no alternating involved they're actually worse than other attacks for this talent because they CANNOT generate the endurance Charges - Frenzy Charges only.

i've read the quote about charge generating too, it's here somewhere in the duelist section i think (it says that cleave/dual count as main hand attacks).
That really does suck. I mean the damn image for the gladiator is friggin DW...I've always been a ranged bow guy, but I really loved the frenzy/endurance charge node...I'm no PoE super expert, but it seems like that pretty much kills building any type of DW build around gladiator...GGG seriously needs to fix.

EDIT - it even says on the wiki that both DS and Sweep alternate MH/OH, so why doesn't this work?
Last edited by GRANDLarsony on Mar 4, 2016, 1:56:42 PM
"
GRANDLarsony wrote:
That really does suck. I mean the damn image for the gladiator is friggin DW...I've always been a ranged bow guy, but I really loved the frenzy/endurance charge node...I'm no PoE super expert, but it seems like that pretty much kills building any type of DW build around gladiator...GGG seriously needs to fix.

EDIT - it even says on the wiki that both DS and Sweep alternate MH/OH, so why doesn't this work?

It's because of how those skills are coded. If I recall correctly, with Dual Strike and Cleave, the damage from your offhand is just added to your main hand's damage and you attack with your main hand. Way way back, it didn't really matter if it was your main hand or your off hand doing the damage mechanically, so how the skill functioned was 'good enough' for skill interactions at the time.
Use Lightning Strike instead of Dual Strike. It clears mobs faster and generates the charges just fine. When built correctly it melts everything.
Just so everyone knows, Cleave and Dual Strike BOTH give endurance charges and frenzy charges, sometimes simultaneously. Tested myself. Cheers
i still prefer "Gratuitous Violence" than the frenzy-endurance node. I like the explosion(great aoe for mapping) and also the extra damage on bleeding(no need for bloodlust gem).
Last edited by HudaZki on Mar 7, 2016, 7:29:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info