3D Mjölner [Fan Art]

Hi guys,

I've decided to create a low poly version of the iconic Mjölner, as it appears in Path of Exile's concept art. Below, you can see the real-time render from Marmoset Toolbag. I would really appreciate some technical and/or artistic constructive criticism in order to further improve it's visual appeal.

Please click image to view high resolution renders, wireframe and texture maps.

Thank you for your time!

IGN: MrNobody
Last edited by AI1055 on Jun 29, 2015, 4:19:19 PM
Nice model Alex. I had a Mjolner in the works too, but I'll postpone its release in place of other renders.

As for criticism, I don't think it requires too much. The debossing detail and sculpt in general look good. The metal texture and shading feels solid, albeit a bit less heavy on the pommel. Then again the hilt wouldn't be taking a large portion of damage anyway. The main thing I would say is that the grip appears too hard edged, giving it a stone/metallic appearance; I'm assuming the grip is wrapped in leather, which typically appears softer.

Anyway, nice work!

You should post it on the PoE reddit as to get more views/comments. People have shown interest towards a 3d model of this unique so they'd love it. =p
"
Raequaoth wrote:
Spoiler
Nice model Alex. I had a Mjolner in the works too, but I'll postpone its release in place of other renders.

As for criticism, I don't think it requires too much. The debossing detail and sculpt in general look good. The metal texture and shading feels solid, albeit a bit less heavy on the pommel. Then again the hilt wouldn't be taking a large portion of damage anyway. The main thing I would say is that the grip appears too hard edged, giving it a stone/metallic appearance; I'm assuming the grip is wrapped in leather, which typically appears softer.

Anyway, nice work!

You should post it on the PoE reddit as to get more views/comments. People have shown interest towards a 3d model of this unique so they'd love it. =p

Hello Zach,

Thank you so much for the kind comments and also the feedback. Coincidentally, a few minutes before you made your post I was browsing your portfolio, admiring your work, and then to my surprise bumped into your WIP Mjolner in the blog section! I was going to comment on how I had produced my own render of it and how awesome yours is going to turn out based on your other works - but looks like you got to me first :P.

Anyways, I agree with the comment you have made about the hilt. I guess I could pull in the hard edges so it is closer to being tube shaped and in turn softer, or add in geometry to give the edges curvature. I guess I will play around with it - and the leather strap too, not too keen on how it looks at the moment.

Love the work you have produced and look forward to seeing some future works from you. Also, I really appreciate you sharing your workflow for the Doomfletch bow - the renders turned out beautifully.

If you do not mind me asking, do you work professionally in the 3D industry or is it part of a hobby?

(Oh, and about Reddit, a friend of mine already posted it on there but took it down after some time).
Last edited by AI1055 on Jun 29, 2015, 6:02:13 PM
Spoiler
"
AI1055 wrote:
"
Raequaoth wrote:
Spoiler

Anyway, nice work!

Hello Zach,

Thank you so much for the kind comments and also the feedback. Coincidentally, a few minutes before you made your post I was browsing your portfolio, admiring your work, and then to my surprise bumped into your WIP Mjolner in the blog section! I was going to comment on how I had produced my own render of it and how awesome yours is going to turn out based on your other works - but looks like you got to me first :P.

Anyways, I agree with the comment you have made about the hilt. I guess I could pull in the hard edges so it is closer to being tube shaped and in turn softer, or add in geometry to give the edges curvature. I guess I will play around with it - and the leather strap too, not too keen on how it looks at the moment.

Love the work you have produced and look forward to seeing some future works from you. Also, I really appreciate you sharing your workflow for the Doomfletch bow - the renders turned out beautifully.

If you do not mind me asking, do you work professionally in the 3D industry or is it part of a hobby?

(Oh, and about Reddit, a friend of mine already posted it on there but took it down after some time).

Ah, I'm glad that you were able to check it out. I've been building/updating it in increments, but it's getting there haha. Still one or two primary pages, as well as other alterations. I've had my hands full this past 1.5 weeks so I didn't get to do much of any art; hence the next render(s) will be up one week late. x_x Glad that you could take something from the walkthrough as well (I'm making a new one for a future piece soon).

No problem btw; it's good to see quality models of uniques, and I like to give feedback on occasion. Hopefully you can get some more for this.

Regarding the last question, I'm technically a hobbyist/amateur in 3d at the moment --- but I'm also looking to break into the industry. Just a matter of time I suppose. =}

Last edited by Raequaoth on Jun 29, 2015, 7:53:48 PM
thats absolutely amazing mate, seriously, the texturing on it with the normal map just makes it sing.
Thanks Snorkle, appreciate it :)
great low poly.

Did you use maya or 3dmax?
Forum pvp
Thanks lolozori. I used Maya.
Amazing work.

Would this be compatible with the game? (I know nothing about 3d modeling and implementation into an application)

Because... If we have players who make these kinds of models, GGG could have a points contest and have the models for all the uniques within a year's time.

I seriously don't know why this doesn't happen? Legal issues?

Also, I agree with somebody who mentioned that the leather on the grip seems too metallic due to high reflection.
Avert thy gaze, child!

IGN: Shadowrope

Standard Warrior
Last edited by Ravenstrider on Jul 9, 2015, 9:23:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info