The Antithesis to Self Found :: Found By Others Challenge!

A lot of people talk about the challenge of playing solo and self found. I'm here today to present an opposite challenge for anyone who wants to take up the gauntlet:

Solo and Found By Others

You must play solo, and you may not pick up any items from drops or quests. That's right, every single item you acquire must be given to you by another person or traded for. This includes your original skill gem and weapon -- you can't even pick those up.

To make things more interesting you may not accept gifts of currency, uniques, items above ilvl 20 (standard) or ilvl 10 (league), gems with quality, or gems worth more than 1 fusing. You can beg for scraps to get you started, but from there on you must trade to equip yourself. Note that if someone you know (or someone that follows you on stream) offers you a heavily lopsided trade in your favor this counts as a gift, not a trade.

If you are a popular streamer you may not use your stream to solicit donations. In fact, you may not accept unsolicited donations of any kind. Everything you are given you must ask for or trade for in game.

I'm sure that there are loopholes that I haven't thought of here, but the point is to do this challenge within the spirit of its intent.

Trading is powerful... but can you master this game on trading alone?

IGNs

Standard: Gyakufu | Gyakufuu
Warbands: Tsukikage
Tempest: Yamakage
"
swarmofseals wrote:
A lot of people talk about the challenge of playing solo and self found. I'm here today to present an opposite challenge for anyone who wants to take up the gauntlet:

Solo and Found By Others

You must play solo, and you may not pick up any items from drops or quests. That's right, every single item you acquire must be given to you by another person or traded for. This includes your original skill gem and weapon -- you can't even pick those up.

To make things more interesting you may not accept gifts of currency, uniques, items above ilvl 20 (standard) or ilvl 10 (league), gems with quality, or gems worth more than 1 fusing. You can beg for scraps to get you started, but from there on you must trade to equip yourself. Note that if someone you know (or someone that follows you on stream) offers you a heavily lopsided trade in your favor this counts as a gift, not a trade.

If you are a popular streamer you may not use your stream to solicit donations. In fact, you may not accept unsolicited donations of any kind. Everything you are given you must ask for or trade for in game.

I'm sure that there are loopholes that I haven't thought of here, but the point is to do this challenge within the spirit of its intent.

Trading is powerful... but can you master this game on trading alone?

So can you even pick up currency? I guess that's the only thing you can pick up? Better make a list - clear cut defined exactly what I can pick up.
This might be unbelievable for most people but real money making in farming and trading doesn't start until 66+.

The most effective players trade what they have + play the game climbing in levels and progressing.

Playing 100% self-found and rerolling 20 characters when you hit level 60 and get bored means you won't get super far money wise or items and 100% trading is a complete waste of time unless your ripping/scamming people with a large amount of preexisting currency.
Some guy did this back in the D2 Single Player Forum days. He had pretty strict rules as to what he could do to get someone to donate an item.
thats pretty much what everyone does already lol
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
"
Isbox1 wrote:
"
swarmofseals wrote:

So can you even pick up currency? I guess that's the only thing you can pick up? Better make a list - clear cut defined exactly what I can pick up.

You can't pick up ANYTHING. That includes skill gems, currency, maps, etc. You must trade for EVERYTHING.

IGNs

"
Amiag wrote:

It really isn't. Most people do pick up and sell items, currency etc.

Trading is a LOT harder when you have to start from nothing and earn everything through trading.
IGNs

"
swarmofseals wrote:
"
Amiag wrote:

It really isn't. Most people do pick up and sell items, currency etc.

Trading is a LOT harder when you have to start from nothing and earn everything through trading.

That guy is right.

In the current game you pick up stuff to sell for orbs which in turn are used to purchase things FOUND BY OTHERS.

You are already playing the challenge you want to create! lol
"
swarmofseals wrote:

You can't pick up ANYTHING. That includes skill gems, currency, maps, etc. You must trade for EVERYTHING.

so.... trade using what, exactly?

SSF - or mostly SSF - is my bread and butter for the poor, and I'm all against trade - but from what little I know about trade, your rule set... well... doesn't make any sense to be honest.

unless it's all free give-aways by others.
then I'm willing to be the guy giving away. need to make room in stash.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jul 16, 2014, 4:43:19 PM
"
swarmofseals wrote:
"
Isbox1 wrote:
"
swarmofseals wrote:

Sorry to say this wasn't well thought out now, was it...

Basically if you cannot accept quest reards, cannot pick up a single item, what do you have to start trading with? A character name that's cool?

I have no clue where you were going with this thread - I guess you were trying to somehow mock the SFL proponents?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info