1 month league response to low player numbers?

"

It's still a step better than these "hurr, only 1/10 players are on Steam" claims that have no evidence whatsoever behind them. It's like they think the lack of data from GGG automatically discounts data from other sources--it doesn't. You use what data is available until better data comes along and confirms/denies the initial data. That's basic logic, and a simple scientific principle. If you have no data or actual evidence to support your ideas about what ratio of players use Steam, YOU ARE IN NO POSITION to make those claims.

Don't bring scientific principles into this. Last I checked no scientist would latch an entire argument on unproven, potentially bogus data. And good thing too.

"
By the way, basic debate protocols dictate that the burden of proof now lies with you, and those who share your position, so ante up.

That's also not how it works. That's like me saying "this crazy guy I know believes in the flying spaghetti monster" and then demand burden of proof.
If we're going full science mode, the onus is on you to prove that steam data is not accurate, not the other way around.
i use a secret account because i am a politician that doesnt want the NSA to know i play poe.
"
If we're going full science mode, the onus is on you to prove that steam data is not accurate, not the other way around.

Do you think everyone uses steam? Do you think even half of players use steam? Do you think players who play via steam behave similar or differently to players who use the stand alone client?

These questions need to be answered and proven before steam charts can be used for anything other than stating that "the player base that is using steam to access PoE is deceasing."
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
"
"

Do you think everyone uses steam? Do you think even half of players use steam? Do you think players who play via steam behave similar or differently to players who use the stand alone client?

These questions need to be answered and proven before steam charts can be used for anything other than stating that "the player base that is using steam to access PoE is deceasing."

It's about trends. If the player numbers are dropping on steam, one MUST assume that they are also dropping on the main client, unless proven otherwise.

Poe is (slowly) dying, deal with it. I realize that all games die eventually, but I had expected that PoE would live long and in good circumstances. That is all I hoped for. I am worried, that's why I made the topic.
i use a secret account because i am a politician that doesnt want the NSA to know i play poe.
The only time you MUST assume anything is when using a technique called reductio ad absurdum. Otherwise assumptions are optional, you do it only when you can get away with it.

Heres a spoiler: <spoiler>it's a technique used (in part) to disprove something.</spoiler>
Last edited by f4sak3n on Jul 14, 2014, 8:59:05 PM
"
"
"

It's about trends. If the player numbers are dropping on steam, one MUST assume that they are also dropping on the main client, unless proven otherwise.

Poe is (slowly) dying, deal with it. I realize that all games die eventually, but I had expected that PoE would live long and in good circumstances. That is all I hoped for. I am worried, that's why I made the topic.

A game being popular more then 3 months is good, it's the same with an movie being watched still after it went out of the movie theaters. It had a playerbase for many years ever since close beta into open into release, if it slowly dies like the greatest arpg of all time (Diablo 2) then so be it.

Eventually the game will die and they'll release PoE 2 or remake the game enough to be more future proof. There are only so many 1000s of hours you can play of a game that doesn't have offline/mod support nor massive content updates or dlc at a timely pace before the next generation of video games came in.

Path of exile issue is that it simply isn't future proof with the current game engine and the pace of content outputted for the game for the type of gameplay. Look at grim dawn, by the time that shit comes out dozens of other games would had came out that pushed the envelope. Making that game outdated and completely forgotten by then.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Jul 14, 2014, 9:03:01 PM
Ive barely played PoE this year..

Got way too redundant.
Invasion - No Sacrifice No Glory

HTTP://WWW.TWITCH.TV/THISISDEUX
http://www.twitch.tv/willywonka_hc/c/4661939

I am just dead for the second time in this new league ( HC ) twice by desync ( yes fucking desync and don't even try to tell me olol desync doesn't even exist ).

Yes the game doesn't want you to make some decisions and it decides where your position should be... to KILL YOU, simply.

I was just walking with some hit and run, nothing fancy and nothing I could do, just 2 seconds of rubberband leading to insta dead.

Desync was quite nice for months now, had some few "moments" rarely.... but since the beginning of the league... I am facing what I was enduring in the Beta and why I can't even play now.... ( EU. France )

We are playing around this issue since 2012, we learn how to respond to this " we prefer to make some PAID Unique Items and stash daily promotion rather than trying to fix this FUCKING HUGE problem ", but impossible is impossible.

When Willywonka is saying that his death is stupid.... yeah... wise tongue... but the brain is screaming " FUCK I AM DONE W T Sht "

I am done, uninstalling the game and will never look back...

Throwing your game to hell like this, it's really sad. Milking people with false promises.

I love when desync can stack more propely than currency, you know this "too hard to program QoL" which was already in the very first kripp review, 2 years ago.

Want some feedback... try to build one witch, pure ice build with ice spear and cold snap without reroll and trade.... it's a proof that you don't even test, play the game to design the tree or quest rewards properly and why you won't be able to continue by yourself.

The manifesto for " QoL for beginner " is an insult for ALL the feedback with zero fuck given from you. No feedback can be given with your actual mindset, sadly.

This could have been the best game, really, but you don't want to care about it for years.

NB: If censorship prevails because angry people can't exist in your sweet dream, it's because you knew since the beginning that this game was a "short term affair and profits".
"
Don't bring scientific principles into this. Last I checked no scientist would latch an entire argument on unproven, potentially bogus data. And good thing too.

You have to prove the data is bogus (which you cannot, because it is not). The only thing you can claim about it is that it is incomplete, which we all know and acknowledge, but we also know that the data is still useful because of how ratios work. The only way it would not be true for that is if (a) non-Steam users behaved differently than Steam users, or (b) the Steam users were actually an extremely small minority--which you yourself assume out of convenience for your argument, and not out of any actual data.

"
That's also not how it works. That's like me saying "this crazy guy I know believes in the flying spaghetti monster" and then demand burden of proof.

You are claiming "flying spaghetti monster" when you make claims about the ratios of Steam to non-Steam users without data: The burden of proof lies with you.

Someone here indirectly mentioned Occam's Razor, and it applies. The safer assumption regarding Steam data is that it doesn't matter if they only represent 20% or 90% of all users, they trend in the same way, so it's the ratio that matters.

---

Lastly, I am NOT here to claim that "PoE is dead." Quite the opposite. I stated earlier that this slump in numbers was not only typical, but predictable, and we will see another spike in player activity once the new 4 month leagues start again. Because of how the 4 month leagues work, you can expect this game's player activity charts to follow a Sin curve with a slightly negative bias (because it cannot always have its full player base forever; they will eventually leave anyway).

If I were to "predict" when PoE will actually experience this "player base is dead" claim, I would guess that it still has a good 5-6 years until that happens, but I would attach the disclaimer that this would only happen if GGG fails to find new and innovative things to integrate into the game. If they succeed in adding these things, the game can go on for much, much longer (like Diablo 2 did/does).
Poe dying, Half-life 3 confirmed!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info