1 month league response to low player numbers?

"
Xavderion wrote:
"

source? Also, does that mean that the 70 percent is growing? Or just that steam users are leaving more than non steam users.

Too lazy to search (must theory craft 1 month build). It means Steam and non-Steam users are different and having solely Steam numbers doesn't really tell you that much :)

To expand what Xav hinted: It's pretty basic statistics, namely confounding variables.

We have two sets of interests, Steam Users and Original Client Users. Without knowing that both sets act the same when it comes to their gaming behavior, we can't automatically imply that Original Client User migration looks the same as the Steam User migration does. For that to be the case we first need to provide proof that both sets act the same with several effects taken in consideration, which are simply out of our personal grasp.
A basic, imagined example: Compared to original client users Steam Users have a higher chance to get their attention drawn to another game through Steam Client advertisements. (Actual example of my own behavior but is probably not the rule!)

The conclusion? We can only do assumptions, which are worthless for making absolute arguments done in these threads regulary. The same people opening those threads showcasing steam data will dismiss official data as forged. An endless cycle not really worth the effort.

However that all really doesn't matter if you enjoy the game and have a good guild. (Ninja'd by Shags here) <3
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Jul 11, 2014, 7:54:19 PM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
None. Of. This. Matters.

I wonder if GGG keeps an eye on steam numbers and say the same thing.
"
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
None. Of. This. Matters.

They do keep an eye on them and they don't say the same thing.

Which is exactly why they want to make the game more user-friendly in the next expansion as far as they let us know. Probably QoL stuff or low-mid level content. This decision actually reflects steam stats perfectly. Look at the global achievement rates of Steam PoE users. :P
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Jul 11, 2014, 8:29:01 PM
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
"

source? Also, does that mean that the 70 percent is growing? Or just that steam users are leaving more than non steam users.

Too lazy to search (must theory craft 1 month build). It means Steam and non-Steam users are different and having solely Steam numbers doesn't really tell you that much :)

To expand what Xav hinted: It's pretty basic statistics, namely confounding variables.

We have two sets of interests, Steam Users and Original Client Users. Without knowing that both sets act the same when it comes to their gaming behavior, we can't automatically imply that Original Client User migration looks the same as the Steam User migration does. For that to be the case we first need to provide proof that both sets act the same with several effects taken in consideration, which are simply out of our personal grasp.
A basic, imagined example: Compared to original client users Steam Users have a higher chance to get their attention drawn to another game through Steam Client advertisements. (Actual example of my own behavior but is probably not the rule!)

The conclusion? We can only do assumptions, which are worthless for making absolute arguments done in these threads regulary. The same people opening those threads showcasing steam data will dismiss official data as forged. An endless cycle not really worth the effort.

However that all really doesn't matter if you enjoy the game and have a good guild. (Ninja'd by Shags here) <3

There's no evidence to suggest that players who play PoE through Steam behave any differently than those who do not. Therefore, the safer assumption is that they do not. That means the Steam numbers are not to reflect absolute values, but can be used to infer patters (patterns that happen to be shown as true when compared to other metrics one might use in-game or on these forums). In short, Steam charts are useful, but they don't paint the whole picture. They just give a general sense of things.

The huge caveat that nobody here mentions is that elephant in the room concerning temporary leagues and player resurgence. The game's core player base has not changed much since the initial drop off, and they regularly go absent near the end of a season and return when a new one opens up. This is simply business as usual (D2 did the same thing, btw), and trying to use these numbers to suggest that the game is "dead" or "dying" is simply ridiculous and unfounded.
"
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
None. Of. This. Matters.

Steam: 1/9 of all people playing POE.

Spoiler
I played Titan Quest, Diablo and Torchlight as a singleplayer game ... for YEARS !
If I'm online alone in the whole world, or there are another one milllion players connected at the same time it doesnt really matters to me and it neither affects my gameplay. I dont interact with otehr players. I dislike trading and I have an old PC so I cant party because my PC is going to explode. And thats it for me regarding the numbers of players online.
Lol classic full of whiteknight BS topic. Heroes of Newerth showing numbers all the time as they exist. Even WoW announced numbers dropings/raisings. If you know how statistic work then you know that you can construct trend on steam data. GGG cannot show you data because it would even more shrink whole population, as its proven that low population have effect on many people if they choose join/leave.
▄█▀█▀█
"
_Madus wrote:
Lol classic full of whiteknight BS topic. Heroes of Newerth showing numbers all the time as they exist. Even WoW announced numbers dropings/raisings. If you know how statistic work then you know that you can construct trend on steam data. GGG cannot show you data because it would even more shrink whole population, as its proven that low population have effect on many people if they choose join/leave.

Source on pretty much all you said?

I have a source on mine, if you want to read it up.
Statistics by D. Freedman, R. Pisani, R. Purves.

Every everyday madman and politician dismisses confounding variable and external effects when jugling raw or processed data, often enough to the worse. But yeah, keep on with your "full blacknight BS" or whatever you want to be classified in exchange. :P

Oh, and the examples you brought up: I know by experience that people claimed all the time that WoW user numbers are forged. So there is your "credibility". People will cry all the time and write their bullshit. Better not even bother.

I hope some of you doomsayers that are not playing anymore have at least the courtesy to leave your guild and free up a valuable member slot. You know, it's important for the people actually playing the game.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Jul 12, 2014, 5:23:34 AM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
None. Of. This. Matters.

Less players means less money means less developers means GGG will never fix desync. Yes it matters.
i use a secret account because i am a politician that doesnt want the NSA to know i play poe.
Last edited by DogFaceNoSpace on Jul 12, 2014, 5:29:07 AM
ANYWAY it would be nice for GGG to have a response to this.
i use a secret account because i am a politician that doesnt want the NSA to know i play poe.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info