GTX570M Computer shutdown after latest patch

I ran some more tests.

The system is 100% stable running all the games I have installed, watching movies (streaming included), playing various audio format files (regardless of how irrelevant these tests might be) and running all the crazy software I've got.

I have not experienced shutdown/reboot for the last 4hours while the laptop was handling everything I was throwing at it. I made it work at high GPU temperatures (over 80degs) - everything is fine.

PoE, however, still manages to shutdown/reboot my rig.

How is this even possible? What should I check? I've already reinstalled the game. My drivers are up to date...

Running out of options
So it would seem I'm not the only one suffering from the restart problem. here is another recent thread about the same thing: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/887637

The guy describes his problem the same way I see my own so .. perhaps it is not our gear fault afterall.

issue still not resolved, cant play because of shutdown/restart thingy.
the game causes shutdown/reboot even from the initial login screen. i started the game, pressed options (as an attempt to see if the game would run in windowed mode) - shutdown/reboot.

I dont think its a hardware issue.

My pc doesnt reboot while i m playing games like diablo, shogun etc.
Sometimes I can play poe for 5-6 hours without a single reboot.
But sometimes even in a first instance, it reboots.
So it is not overheating or something like that. I think it is merely coding issue.

No regrets for the money that i spend. but i dont think i ll continue to support a game which i cant play and potentially will cause an actual hardware problem.

I think I will quit till this issue is solved. So sad...
"
ruhisu wrote:
I dont think its a hardware issue.

My pc doesnt reboot while i m playing games like diablo, shogun etc.
Sometimes I can play poe for 5-6 hours without a single reboot.
But sometimes even in a first instance, it reboots.
So it is not overheating or something like that. I think it is merely coding issue.

No regrets for the money that i spend. but i dont think i ll continue to support a game which i cant play and potentially will cause an actual hardware problem.

I think I will quit till this issue is solved. So sad...

You can "think" what you want... but the technical details are that PoE can't directly cause a shutdown/reboot. As I've explained before, there are things in place within the Windows OS to prevent that sort of thing unless hardware/drivers are involved. Don't believe me? Look it up.

While PoE might be poking the hardware or drivers in a way they don't like it, that isn't a PoE problem. You'll also notice that the majority of users don't have issues with PoE shutting down or restarting their PCs. If so, there would be pitchforks and torches all over these forums.

Whether you want to admit that there might be something with the hardware/drivers or not, that is the actuality. Just because "other games" don't cause it, doesn't make it a PoE "coding" problem. PoE shouldn't have to be "coded" differently to work around a hardware issue. That's the hardware's problem. Sorry I don't have a better answer or a "fix" for you. You want things to always "just work"? Buy an xbox or playstation... not a PC.
Mate, I do appreciate your knowledge regarding IT and I also admire your self confidence. However, I'm afraid you might be wrong in this particular case.

My current set up (laptop + software) has managed to pump something around 500hours in PoE without a single problem, without a single shutdown/reboot/restart.

My problems started on the day the patch with a new groundslam effect went live.

Every single test I run on my set up shows no problems with hard/software.

No stress test managed to shutdown my laptop, overheat it or do any kind of harm whatsoever.

All the monitoring software shows no issues either.

People at my computer store had been testing my rig for 2 days, 48hours, non stop - they found nothing.

I understand your point of view, that there are numerous safety issues preventing our computers from shutting down or doing other kinds of damage. This is understandable and reasonable thing to hold - I also believe that! If this was any kind of common problem I would have solved it myself (or with some help of the IT guys from my store) without ever asking you kind people for help.

I'm honestly grateful that you spend your time trying to figure out what the case might be, but I'm also convinced the problem has nothing to do with my gear/soft - regardless of how crazy this may sound to our common sense.

Therefore I kindly ask the Devs, Gods or whomever is capable, to have a brief look at the magical and mysterious scrolls of the PoE game code and see if there might be something they could have overlooked. Something which might be responsible for shutting the system down when playing PoE on some rare set up (like my MSI GT 780 DXR).

Thank you.
As I said.. if it were a problem with their code, then it would be happening to a LOT more people.

I've been around this forum long enough to know when there is a code problem vs a PC problem. The sheer volume of requests on an issue is usually a VERY good indicator. The simple math is, hardly anyone complains about PC shutdowns. Of those that do, the majority turn out to be an issue with the:

1) drivers
2) video card hardware
3) video card overheating
4) PSU

most of them are solved by checking those components in specific and determining what's going on. Laptops make it infinitely harder to do however as you can't just swap in a random video card to test with... also laptop PSUs aren't exactly the same as PC PSUs.

Laptops are most vulnerable to the overheating which is why that's one of the first things we check (after checking driver versions).

I'm sorry you cannot figure out what's causing the shutdown. I can assure you it isn't their code that is the problem.

I'm not sure if you've tried this already, but have you tried deleting the ShaderCache folder in the Path of Exile folder?

Also what about running a PackCheck.exe (right-click and select "Run as Administrator")?

It's quite possible that something is corrupted and being sent to your video card corrupted causing it to crash. That's what happens with people who have Creative sound cards. The audio data is sent to the card in a way that the card doesn't understand it and BOOM! BSoD. It's not a PoE issue, but rather an issue with the Creative sound cards and drivers.

So maybe focus on the corruption aspect.. see if that gives any results.
I can't even download the patch, it keeps crashing saying there's a disk error (no disk in drive). --The patch from tonight that just occurred
Last edited by HallowsEve on Apr 17, 2014, 1:42:15 AM
"
HallowsEve wrote:
I can't even download the patch, it keeps crashing saying there's a disk error (no disk in drive). --The patch from tonight that just occurred

This is not the right thread for your problem. I'm not sure why you chose to post it in here.

Please create your own new thread and clearly describe the problem, any errors, and what you've attempted to fix it.

Also make sure you're running Path of Exile as admin (right-click it and select "Run as Administrator").
I have almost the similar problem as you described here, one thing i can shared though, is i noticed that sometimes when POE crashes, the windows DEP alarm fired up, prompting that memory access violations has been detected.

POE looks accessing/manipulating the memory system of the PC in such an aggressive/eccentric ways such that it somehow make my PC to blackout suddenly and auto system reset.

Food for thought.

Check and reseat your DIMM modules dude, relax aggressive timings/parameters in your system BIOS. Give it a shot.
Last edited by ScaryCrow47 on Apr 17, 2014, 6:45:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info