Cut-throat, Event 5: 12 Hour Cut-throat

This is the fifth event of the test cut-throat events.

An Introduction to Cut-throat Mode thread has been posted, if you are new to this league type it is highly advised you read the introduction.

Existing players who are familiar with the cut-throat league rule set are also advised on reading the thread as new rules may have been introduced, these rules are summarized below.

Summary of general Cut-throat rules:
  • This is a separate short-duration league that has its own stash (as usual). At the end of the event, characters and stashed items will be moved to Standard.
  • There's a PvP damage multiplier because players start with a lot more life than they do damage. This multiplier will be adjusted substantially based on feedback from this event and others.
  • Players are hostile by default to all players.
  • You can ctrl+click on the entrance to an area to use the Instance Management screen to manually enter other players' instances of an area.
  • Cut-throat instances can hold a maximum of 12 players.
  • This test is not a hardcore league. When you die, you lose the normal experience penalty for your difficulty plus 30% of your current level. You also drop all inventory and equipped items. Your flasks, skill gems (even ones in your inventory) and quest items are not dropped.
  • If you were killed by another player, your lost experience is given to them.
  • If you attempt to abruptly leave the game (such as pressing Alt+F4) in a non-town instance, you have to wait 5 seconds and are unable to move or use flasks.
  • The grace period of invulnerability upon entering an area is 20 seconds. This should start once the player is mostly done loading.
  • Non-partied players only show up on the map if they're nearby.
  • There are no notifications for players joining or leaving areas.
  • Portals cannot be used until they have been up for five seconds after they have been cast.
  • You cannot apply microtransaction effects to items in cut-throat. You may dance and have pets.
  • Cut-throat events are not experience races. There's no prize for being highest level. There are no prizes at all other than the fun of participation.
  • There's now a level limit on entering areas that contain other players. If you're much higher level than the lowest level player in the area, or much lower level than the highest level player, you can't join. Let us know what you think about the numbers we chose and we can tweak them for subseuqent events.
  • The guild stash is not available.
  • Players may not party up in this event. We are going to experiment with parties-with-friendly-fire in future ones.
Have you considered implementing a limit as to how early you can start Cutthroating? For example, make it not possible to invade instances before Normal Ledge or before you hit lvl 10.

This would allow players to gain some footing and gear up before going for each others throats. Now I think a lot of it is depended on RNG and if you kill or be killed in first few levels, it greatly affects your further progress. The ones who win their duels below lvl 5 usually make it to higher levels, and those who die before level 5 are pretty much done for.

With this you would reduce the rng variance and allow people to get ready for the cutthroat.
„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
Don't like that idea at all. POT should be able to begin the moment you leave town.

I'll be on for the full twelve so should be interesting.
Invasion - No Sacrifice No Glory

HTTP://WWW.TWITCH.TV/THISISDEUX
"
Odoakar wrote:
Have you considered implementing a limit as to how early you can start Cutthroating? For example, make it not possible to invade instances before Normal Ledge or before you hit lvl 10.

This would allow players to gain some footing and gear up before going for each others throats. Now I think a lot of it is depended on RNG and if you kill or be killed in first few levels, it greatly affects your further progress. The ones who win their duels below lvl 5 usually make it to higher levels, and those who die before level 5 are pretty much done for.

With this you would reduce the rng variance and allow people to get ready for the cutthroat.

I agree with this... honestly I just think that Terraces should be a safe zone. (The spam of players after twilight strand with chicken-fox running between people that only just killed Hillock is kinda stupid... too much randomness and madness.) Also you dont really gain much usefull from killing a player at this point... unless they were Lucky enough to drop a rare ring... etc. Otherwise we are just talking about the value of a few wisdom scrolls.... Basically its not very usefull, even if you get a quick kill fast, most players will only have White items and the advantage you gain is very minor. Thats prob. why most people just run away at this point... I mean if you think its good to kill like 10 players in terraces before moving on... then you are screwed later on. The level cap might change this a Little bit later on... but Terraces is just random chicken-fox running imo.

Oh damn I just realised that I said Terraces.... I mean the fucking coast.... Cant remmember that they renamed it.
On the contrary, everyone should start in shared *Twilight Strand* instances. Hand to hand combat from the get go! :D

"
Odoakar wrote:

I don't think there's a need to implement this as it's already self-correcting. It's suboptimal to fight each other that early, neither player gains anything, both lose. Therefore, no one competitive does it. If xp were gained only by killing players, that would be different.

I could actually see an argument for everyone getting some starting gear, to incentivize fighting right from the get go.
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
Yeah, just played my first CT (watched a lot of them so far), and it seems everyone is playing PvE up to some point. But I would rather it then be officially like that.
„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
"
Odoakar wrote:

quite honestly, I believe terraces FFA is perhaps the most fun part of cut-throat. In fact, I believe it is the single best place for full-fledged glass-shank-and-driftwood-club melee. I say let the glacial hammers swing and fireballs fly as early as possible! the fact that everyone has starting gear only and you're lucky if you happen to find a second dagger as a shadow to dual strike or a 2h driftwood maul as a templar to use glacial hammer more effectively is THE exciting part.

I really wonder how well will 12hrs of cut-throat go, and am totally hyped for a saturday all-nighter. Im bringing friends for sure :D
IGN: Avlee
Last edited by avlee on Mar 20, 2014, 7:14:43 AM
"
avlee wrote:
"
Odoakar wrote:

quite honestly, I believe terraces FFA is perhaps the most fun part of cut-throat. In fact, I believe it is the single best place for full-fledged glass-shank-and-driftwood-club melee. I say let the glacial hammers swing and fireballs fly as early as possible! the fact that everyone has starting gear only and you're lucky if you happen to find a second dagger as a shadow to dual strike or a 2h driftwood maul as a templar to use glacial hammer more effectively is THE exciting part.

I really wonder how well will 12hrs of cut-throat go, and am totally hyped for a saturday all-nighter. Im bringing friends for sure :D

Strange... I have the absolute opposite opinion. I hate the Terraces in these races and just want to get the hell out of it as soon as possible. Again for 2 reason: 1: You gain allmost nothing usefull on a kill and 2: The fights are too random this early on. I just think getting killed or killing someone in Terraces is rather uninterresting, and does not give me any feeling of adrenaline or exitement, because I know both of us have trash gear. Getting killed at the terraces on normal can happen to Kripp, Helman, well anyone... because its so random this early on. It rly sucks to get killed/play here and miss out on the real fun imo. Its like a filter that denies random players access to the race if you try to kill people here. DENIED... unless you skip.
Instant death when you leave town is very frustrating. Without orbs/scrolls you cannot even buy white trash items to kill some normal zombies.
Being safe until lvl 10 is WAY to much, imo. But I do think we need an option to collect at least a weapon and boots without being killed again. So I vote for safe terraces.

The chaotic killing area would be shifted to mud flats, so if people like this mass-stabbing, go ahead there.

I see one problem with level-caps: If you die, you are lost. There is just nobody to fight because all people in same level range have equipment you cannot compete with.
I realized that the hard way. Had some decent stuff, killed some chars and had no problem with monsters, even enganged groups of two working together. Met a few other PKers which were better than me but were able to run away in that case... Anyway, life was hard but fun, but then I lost a fight (didn't even think about logout) and then you are totally screwed, even with backup gear. Monsters took 2-3 hits longer and no single player-kill possible. Without the option to engage lower levels, that's pretty much the end of the race.
I think we need narrow fighting-brackets, but also consider this (don't have a good solution, unfortunately)

Also: minimap-marker for enemies starts WAY to late. It's almost the same distance as youcan see with a wide screen
Dynamit,
Architekturkritik, die man tatsächlich sieht!

Farin Urlaub
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nz5q9
12 hour race without rewards gg
[ I G N ] Grafflol___ hc talisman
Grafflol___ lvl almost 98.#40 thc[rip from icenova box].atziri slayer[kill count 256]#1 normal atziri slayer[invasion].world first avatar of thunder as melee.[THC] best twin t14/t15 killer[thc] /1554892
my stream http://www.twitch.tv/grafflol ye i got 1m views.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info