Game causing computer lock-up?

Let me first say that PoE is the only game that garners this type of response from my computer, so it's safe to say that it's not a hardware issue. I've also got CPUTemp monitoring temps constantly, and they're always steady at a reasonable value.. The problem arises when PoE seems to be exceptionally laggy (weekends normally). Seemingly at random the game will freeze up completely, and the computer doesn't respond to Alt + F4, Ctrl + Alt + Del, Window key, Esc key, nothing. The only way to make anything happen is a hard shut-down..

What gives? Am I the only one this happens to? My hardware isn't new, but it definitely doesn't have any problems running this game. All drivers are up to date. Win 7 64-bit OS.
Stormcalling 24/7.
Act 3X areas especially ones with weather effects and particle graphic additions (such as air leaking from pipes) are not well optimized. Actually they are not optimized at all.

Dominus fight is the peak of system drain. I dread that Act4 may be similar. I hope at the very least they will give option to turn particles and weather effects off.
Yes I wish I could disable weather effects and particle effects for other players..
IGN: lVlage (96 Witch)
Ahh, so it's just a software bug then? Nothing I can do about it? Sorta like Neo in the Matrix? Just reset the game and hope it doesn't show up again?
Stormcalling 24/7.
"
Ahh, so it's just a software bug then? Nothing I can do about it? Sorta like Neo in the Matrix? Just reset the game and hope it doesn't show up again?

This game's already well known to be optimized like utter shit... Act 3 especially, and the "new" stuff in Act 3 most notably Lagimus/Desyncimus are the worst offenders. Doesn't help it uses 1 core.

I have a pretty decent rig... I play The Witcher 2 on basically max, with a very mild fan curve my GPU rarely breaks 60c under decent load, and my CPU rarely breaks 40c under load. Never dropping below 60fps..

On this game with the absolute bare minimum settings... On Dominus I'll spike over 75c(using less than 40% GPU load, fyi, I use more GPU on fucking LoL) and my CPU will hit 50c(a comparison, prime95 generally tops me out at 55c after a few hours). On Dominus I'll hit 40FPS and lag and of course desync. I basically had to make another Fan Curve profile just for this unoptimized PoS. It's the only game I play, and I play a fucking ton of games, that has given me any sort of "heat" issues with my GPU/CPU.

I basically scrapped my Trapper... Lightning/Fire Traps in this game attempt to teach my 670FTW how to fry eggs, especially in certain zones(i.e. most of Act3+).

There's not much you can do really... Like desync this is another thing that's probably gonna suck and continue to suck forever.

i5-3750k
EVGA GTX 670FTW
314.22, there's no difference in performance/stability with this game and any driver version post 310
Crucial 240gb SSD(Game/Steam Installed on)
Crucial 8GB@1600mhz
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Fan/Sink
Thermaltake 750w SmartSeries 80+B
HP Pavilion 23xi IPS BackLit LED
1920x1080 60hz
Windows 7 Home Premium
Last edited by StinkFinger on Nov 25, 2013, 12:17:50 AM
I've recently had similar troubles, one thing I found was that temp monitoring software tends to not monitor Power Supply Units. In my case I had a painfully unattended dust trap that was blocking out the intake and causing my PSU to shut down from heat.

Just in case you missed any steps, here's my standard troubleshooting procedure for random lock-ups:

- Dust out my CPU radiator
- Dust out cooling fins on random motherboard components
- Dust out the cooling fins on my GPU
- dust out the space between my hard drives
- make sure any intake grills are dust-free
- Double check the intake grills to my PSU because it's out of the way and I might have forgotten about it :P
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Shit. So farming Act 2 is the only way to make sure I'm not overheating my box?

Stormcalling 24/7.
The game may not run well on some people's pcs. But it locking up all together is a different matter.
While it's true that PoE has abysmal optimization, a complete lock-up like that likely implies a hardware malfunction.
IGN: Ironmallet
"
Shit. So farming Act 2 is the only way to make sure I'm not overheating my box?

u can farm act 1 too :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info