IDEA: Weekly incentive league SC/HC

I have noticed a fair few players are hesitant to play/join the POE closed beta because they know that there will be a wipe when the game goes "public" and all progress will be lost. As it stands this game is public albeit that it requires a "donation" to play.

My idea is that a stop-gap weekly HC/SC ladder race be put in place with rewards that will carry over to the open beta. Rewards such as store currency or cash shop items (Aura's, skill effects etc.) That will carry over to the open beta, provide incentive for more people to join/play now and really provide no draw-backs for those that choose to wait for open beta to start playing.

The ladder's would operate in a manner that you could start in the HC weekly league and if you die you are transferred to the SC weekly league for the rest of the week, with of course the rewards for HC win being higher than the SC win.

The top 5-10 players in each league would receive carry over rewards and standard orb rewards for people based on level/achievements.

What do others think about this? Would this bring more people into the Closed beta (and thus more donations for GGG) and provide incentive for you and others you know to play more?

Personally I think this would bring a lot more players/revenue in for GGG and take the pressure off to rush into open beta and push out updates to keep people interested. Could also lead to a weekly "Patch/Ladder cycle for slightly better test data.
I think the playing field needs to be even for every player on launch day.

Allowing people to transfer currency would create extreme benefits for a few players. That first ladder rush is going to be awesome!!
I definitely don't agree that any tangible in game item should survive the wipe. Now microtransaction credit is fine in my book, which I believe they already started doing. It gives you no advantage since even new players in beta can buy just as much as the next guy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info