HOW TO: OPTIMIZE for smooth graphics and loading times (even if you got an SSD!)

Great thread, quick question.

On the last step after I check the box to enable level-2 cache and click the configure caching button it unchecks the enable level-2 caching box and tells me my settings have been configured.

As a user this gives me mixed messages, is this normal behavior?

Edit: Wow I'm blind, you mentioned it in the troubleshooting section.
Last edited by jdonk on Jun 22, 2013, 7:06:50 AM
"
Henry_GGG wrote:
I'm sorry, but this thread isn't a magical "fix all your problems and get 500fps" thread.
Comments like yours are not useful at all, as you've asked nothing and helped no one.

Please keeps the comments in this thread about OP's post.

I politely disagree that my comment wasn't useful and is thread unrelated. People report that this "fix" is not increasing any performance for them and some of them have had problems with setting it up properly, because it is complicated.

Warning people, especially those inexperience in PS usage of the risks involved, while there is no real benefit performance wise, as already stated by couple of people here, is, in my humble opinion very helpful and is on the point of this thread.

Btw, if you read my comment, I've asked a serious question about the game's slow loading times. Unfortunately, I didn't get any official answer. Are you going to help us out here, or is asking the question why the game loads unacceptably slow from SSD on the modern PC considered inappropriate?
Last edited by Bhaya on Jun 22, 2013, 7:27:32 AM
"
Bhaya wrote:

I disagree. People report that this "fix" is not increasing any performance for them and some of them have had problems with setting it up properly, because it is complicated. Warning people of the risks involved with no real benefits performance wise, as already stated by couple of people here, is, in my humble opinion very helpful and is on the point of this thread.

You're right, I'll add a disclaimer to the first post stating that this is complicated and could break your computer.
My main issue with your post was this part:
"
Bhaya wrote:
It show that this thread's topic is not useful at all

That is not useful to the discussion.

"
Bhaya wrote:
Btw, if you read my comment, I've asked questions about the game slow performance. Unfortunately, I didn't get an official answer. Are you going to give it?

I did read your comment, but I can't answer your question as it's not my place nor do I know what the problem is and what's being done about it, sorry.
"
Henry_GGG wrote:
You're right, I'll add a disclaimer to the first post stating that this is complicated and could break your computer.

Now your are talking! Thank you, Henry. :)

"
Henry_GGG wrote:

My main issue with your post was this part:
"
Bhaya wrote:
It show that this thread's topic is not useful at all

That is not useful to the discussion.

Please accept my apology Henry, if it sounded too negative, and irritated you. In my defense, I can only say that you quoted me out of context, cutting off the part where I gave my reasons why I have thought so, in a response to a person who reported no change in performance even after the fix.

Here is the the whole sentence: "It show that this thread's topic is not useful at all, and only increasing the risk of something going wrong for an inexperienced PC user by creating the illusion that following these steps will improve the game's experience.. The underlined part shows my reasoning why I personally think that this fix is not that useful for the purpose of decreasing game loading times.

"
Henry_GGG wrote:
I did read your comment, but I can't answer your question as it's not my place nor do I know what the problem is and what's being done about it, sorry.

Thank you, I understand.

Again, I am sorry if didn't express myself clearly enough or used inappropriate wording. Obviously, English is not my native language, and I always struggle with it, and have to often edit my posts. And now, I am going to just shut up and disappear from this thread. I hope that we are good, Henry, as I respect you and your work very much. :)
Last edited by Bhaya on Jun 22, 2013, 8:13:30 AM
Well I tried it. Not sure if I notice any difference yet since I played on two maps with the burning ground mod.. and that's a well known dps killer. I still think the ultimate solution will have to come from GGG's end and that is to have the option to totally turn off all fancy gfx in spells and attacks. They are the biggest reason for stuttering and zero fps situations when a monster or player uses a skill initially.
ign: ExperimentOmega and AlieilA
Pretty sure this will only help you out if the problem causing your freeze ups is actually coming from your hdd/ssd.

I'd expect a laptop with plenty of ram, but a slow hard drive to benefit from it. Laptops almost always have a slower speed hard drive to save on battery life. A desktop with a recent higher speed hard drive is probably suffering from some other problem causing the freeze ups on loading.

If I was in charge of optimizing the game I'd just be staring in abject horror at the thought of everything that could be going wrong.
Last edited by Retanaru on Jun 22, 2013, 8:57:56 AM
If I have multiple drives, is it fine to optimize them all using the same R drive? I have a 500GB HDD and 250GB SSD, I run PoE out of the SSD but some games/programs out of the HDD and would like to improve them also.
"
Tgump wrote:
If I have multiple drives, is it fine to optimize them all using the same R drive? I have a 500GB HDD and 250GB SSD, I run PoE out of the SSD but some games/programs out of the HDD and would like to improve them also.

Yes. It would. At least how I understand it.
Be aware that you have to try and see if it works out for you. At least some people who supposedly tried it were disappointed. So you have to figure it out yourself on your config if it helps. On my machine I wouldn't miss it for a second.

If mod's warning scares you off; just follow the guide if you feel comfortable setting up the options. I don't believe harm can be done to your OS or even PC if you follow the guide, but - just in case - I advise you to give it only a shot if you feel up to it.
See my stats: http://poestatistics.com/users/wiraqucha/
Seems not updated for whatever reason: http://exilestats.com/account.php?id=265406
Discontinued profile: http://exilestats.com/account.php?id=40468
Oh yes. I didn't have many issues with PoE before, but I set it up. I haven't noticed any difference, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't cause any problems by having multiple drives share a cache.
This has not been a good solution for my computer. I'm now experiencing short 'hangs' or stuttering when watching regular videos. Never mind in the game. I have deleted the .img file and have stopped ramdisk. How do I go about to my old configuration?
ign: ExperimentOmega and AlieilA

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info