[11.0] Bringer of Rain, Melee, Gladiator Build! The most manly build imaginable.

I've always wanted to make a gladiator build using a sword and shield. With the new melee buffs I've decided to try my hand at building such a skill tree from the ground up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Key items are:

Helm: The Bringer of Rain. (A 7L for a melee skill, not sure on which one yet, but most likely coupled with life-leech, blood magic and an other support gem.)

Belt: Meginord's Girdle. The extra physical damage and 10% life make it a very good all round belt for all melee builds I think.

Shield: Daresso's Courage. Again, the extra physical damage and the extra block chance go really well with the 15% block chance from the Bringer of rain.

Sword: Any fast, high physical sword will do.

Boots, gloves: High life, and resistances and MS on the boots.

Rings and amulet: Again, high life, resistances and preferably x-y physical damage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SKILLS

I got Wrath, Anger and Hatred coupled with BM. Than I have Purity, Hatred and when/if possible Determination with reduced mana.

The Passive tree

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYYz38UFB8uIzPKS72SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7dlh892sqlcNWfPSIZHOwBqezWaekFWnMKmVp4QB5_e-UWAaODboGjLsOGSjgFY62BpVT31N2GEhnjyMdoTvEuGBb3TtBLN67_AfAnFgS6IAtPkFLUCg704hYDIJdPGeuZuDU99Y24TZZU1HfqvFvYGZKyXfG_qkGayvFCBQRxjbW6_dDfzFZ6CHdkp91FIG7pdwYxfBB9d-NDWYb5J95c9lL0pPszENMBK8

It includes:
- 158% life
- 5.4% life regen / sec.
- +52% to all resistances when equiping a shield.
- +139% Armour.
- +13% Additional block chance with Shield.
- 273% Increased Physical Damage.
- 38% Increased Attack Speed.
- +2 to Melee Weapon Range.
- +5 Max Endurance Charges.

Questions:

What skills should I use in my Bringer of Rain?

Should I get Resolute Technique or not? Is the crit worth it?

This build is aimed at Standard League as I think that +158% life might be a bit low for Hardcore.

Is a sword a good weapon to go for right now? I've heared that the Axe passives are buffed a lot more atm?

What general remarks do you have at the build?
IGN: Sogano
u took 0 crit nodes so, definately take RT. crit isnt worth it unless u really build round it, and u'll end up with a lot less defensive stats.

skill wise, infernal blow is a solid one. i was thinking of which skill to use too ever since bringer of rain came out, and i settled for IB coz all the 3 free support skills compliment it well. and it's a very effective aoe skill too. lightning strike is good too if u use the initial hit and not rely on it as a ranged attack with the projectiles.

i would concentrate on getting the best 1h weap u can afford, then take your weapon specific passives based on it. i went mace simply because i have a good one.

i dont like daresso's, more dmg yes, but horribly low def AND no hp. a lioneye remorse has 2k def and good hp. considering using bringer of rain = no chest, any hp/armor/eva on other pieces of gear are more important than ever.

now that rustic sash can get 24% implicit and can roll hp, armor n res, meginords is a bad choice in comparison. only time i'll use it is if u're a facebreaker build. magnate has a max of 40% now too, n might be worth testing out.
WTS Tons of good stuff : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/379249
WTB Godly MF witch gear : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346658
Paying VERY well, just let me know if u have upgrades for me
"
0rochi wrote:
u took 0 crit nodes so, definately take RT. crit isnt worth it unless u really build round it, and u'll end up with a lot less defensive stats.

skill wise, infernal blow is a solid one. i was thinking of which skill to use too ever since bringer of rain came out, and i settled for IB coz all the 3 free support skills compliment it well. and it's a very effective aoe skill too. lightning strike is good too if u use the initial hit and not rely on it as a ranged attack with the projectiles.

i would concentrate on getting the best 1h weap u can afford, then take your weapon specific passives based on it. i went mace simply because i have a good one.

i dont like daresso's, more dmg yes, but horribly low def AND no hp. a lioneye remorse has 2k def and good hp. considering using bringer of rain = no chest, any hp/armor/eva on other pieces of gear are more important than ever.

now that rustic sash can get 24% implicit and can roll hp, armor n res, meginords is a bad choice in comparison. only time i'll use it is if u're a facebreaker build. magnate has a max of 40% now too, n might be worth testing out.

Hey! Thanks thats some really good feedback, and I'll be definitely picking up RT, I don't have an idea on how crit works in this game so I was a bit confused there!
What extra support gems do you use with IB? Life leech, blood magic and ...? I have a pretty decent sword atm, that's why I build towards swords :)

And I was wondering of a rustic sash was worth it now, and you made a good point about it, I'll defnitly check around for a good one! Same about the shield, any idea for howmuch an lioneye remorse is selling at the moment?

I'll update the build once I have some more feedback ;)

Thanks a lot!
im trying to not use life leech n bm, coz other support gems would give a lot more dps. currently using melee splash, added fire damage and item quantity (my IQ charc), but i'll use weapon ele dmg instead if i wasnt mf.

i got 2% life leech node, 2% life leech from gloves, and 2% mana leech from amy. together with a low level clarity i never run out of mana so i save a gem slot for BM.

lion remorse should be relatively cheap 1-3 gcps last i checked. high roll ones slightly more.
WTS Tons of good stuff : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/379249
WTB Godly MF witch gear : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346658
Paying VERY well, just let me know if u have upgrades for me
Last edited by 0rochi on Jun 6, 2013, 12:02:06 PM
Ok nice, and how about Cleave? Have you seen the "blender" build? Something like that but than a lot more tanky, or do you think that build focusses too much on dual wield and that my dps would be higher with IB + Multistrike + Melee Splash?

This is the "blender" build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_sx5zfAU24

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQAAecFLQbuDq0R1RIgFCAUdRcdGNsZLhv6IPAhYCP2Jd8otSmlMgk0NTWGNZI26DiWOlI6szrtQKBDnEd-Sn1OyFBHUFBT31RJVgRW-lcNV5dYY1jbWkhbr16LXz9gQWBLYIhhUmMXZU1noGoeajt07XTxdud674TZhO-GYId2jM-QCpdwmSubLZuDnaqeuZ7Nn8ukGacwqBirxbcXuc253b2BvqfAD8EHxtjP-NIh0k3TftRS137ZYd0N51LuDu8O707v8PIv9kj3vvzF
"
Tr0j4n wrote:

I would concentrate on getting the best 1h weap u can afford, then take your weapon specific passives based on it. i went mace simply because i have a good one.

I have a pretty decent sword atm, that's why I build towards swords :)

Sorry, but that sword is only 216 dps. That is very very weak. A good sword should at least have 320+ dps. My actual sword has >360dps and still 2 ex slots free:

In my opinion your sword is way to weak to build a good 1h char. :/

If you want to play a BoR blocker try something like my build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7fPdrKpyqXzZeA2-igHcpBkb-iXfhNlY21Pfm4Osr4TvdO1672BLBS1AoFnzwBqQVaeEGjjsOASzFE3wH6IAtPlmnqmVUWAaMoBWT3360jbpHRSPRtDQz2VVxu9OMgllTUd-TDUoxfO-cH062E3YnjyBb4x2AnHZYVcN0iGezacwAec26Fivq8UUIFBHIWB08Z65GNtDnA6tKaUotWCIourjalWpl7SsuuHa
Next skillpoints will go into more endurance charges.

And don't forget that you need to block spells too. So there is only one really good shield for this build and one good necklace and one pair of good boots. :)

German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
Than what shield/boots/necklace are you using? :)
Your passive tree is almost the same to myne, I just got a bit more armor where you have a bit more block chance. And I have a lot more damage aswell.

What skills are you using in your BoR?

EDIT: And howmuch should I expect to pay for such a sword?
Last edited by Tr0j4n on Jun 6, 2013, 2:41:13 PM
Shield: Rathpith Globe / (40-60)% of Block Chance applied to Spells
Necklace: Stone of Lazhwar / 50% of Block Chance applied to Spells
Boots: Rainbowstride / (20-25)% of Block Chance applied to Spells

Of course you don't need to use all 3 because block cap is 75%. I only use the globe max. and rainbow max. That is 60% (shield) + 25% (boots) and 12% skilltree = 97% of Block Chance applied to Spells. That means 75% physical block and 72,75% spell block.

It is hard to tell prices for endgame weapons. They vary a lot.
<300 dps = useless weapons
300 - 320 dps should be less than 1 ex
320 - 350 dps should be between 1ex and 3ex
>350 dps can be everything between 3ex and 10+ ex
But hey, maybe you'll find a 390+dps for 2ex. ^^

In my opinion you really should go for a weapon with at least 320+ dps.

Try to add 77% all resists plus 75% chaos resist (which is not that easy) and you have a really decent survivability.

The helmet has already:

melee physical dmg
faster attacks
blind

just add:
heavy strike
added fire damage
weapon elemental damage

The last slot depents on how you like to play.
add cleave to get 2 strong skills (I don't like this. I 4l cleave to another Item)
adding leap slam is a funny thing too. (but as cleave I like to link it to another item)
add multistrike if you have enough mana for this dmg boost.
or just add another elemental dmg gem (cold, lightning or chaos)
add stun to become mr. tanky itself (best survivability)
But hey, even mana leech or life leech can be a good choice. Really depents on your style of playing. ;)

German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info