What is Allocating Space at the install ?

I have a question. What happens in this step of allocating space before client download ?
I mean what is it good for ?
Wouldn't it be more ok to just download the client and patches and not spend lots of time allocating space ?

Thank you.

I will dig more into the game.
Last edited by sylverg on Jun 30, 2012, 9:09:40 AM
Last bumped on Feb 28, 2018, 4:15:33 PM
Its checking that you have enough space for the download and the install (after its unpacked and installed)
Beta Member Since 0.9.0 | Current Character : ExExCorpse
Creator of Prismatic Rings AND Unique Thief's Torment Prismatic Ring
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Guide to Loot Filters - Here
I'm installing the beta client for the first time today and the downloader spent close to 30 minutes "allocating space". I had over 100GB of free space on this drive before installation. It seems quite ridiculous for this "allocating space" step to take so long. The download, itself, is actually progressing faster than the allocation.

If this isn't fixed, I can't imagine many people bothering to actually complete the installation once the game is released, even if it is free.
Last edited by Prokofiev on Jul 10, 2012, 11:28:15 AM
You're right, it's totally ridiculous to expect a 4gb game to not install instantly. People should be outraged at this! </sarcasm>

It takes a long time to allocate space because of the way GGG have decided to pack their game files.
TehHammer is not a crime!
Strawman. I never said anything about "instantly". Taking over an hour to install a 4GB game is too long. I've installed games 4-5 times that size in less time. The length of time it takes to install this game is unacceptable, IMO. If the "allocation" step was eliminated, or reduced to something that took less than a minute, the installation time would be acceptable. I've never seen a game take so long to do something so simple.
"
Prokofiev wrote:
Strawman. I never said anything about "instantly". Taking over an hour to install a 4GB game is too long. I've installed games 4-5 times that size in less time. The length of time it takes to install this game is unacceptable, IMO. If the "allocation" step was eliminated, or reduced to something that took less than a minute, the installation time would be acceptable. I've never seen a game take so long to do something so simple.

I would love to be able to install 4 gigs that quickly. Normally it would take me 6 to 8 hours to install that much due to having a low quality speed internet connection.

I believe what is actually happening during the allocating space is:
1. checking to make sure there is enough room for the downloading content.
2. The first time you download the game during the allocating space phase the game is actually building the tech specific to the way GGG's files are downloaded. If you noticed after you get past the allocating space phase your reported download speeds reach a speed much higher then you normally see. This is due to the way GGG's downloads are compressed and then unpacked during the download process.

Don't fret after the first time you download the game the allocating space phase normally takes no more than a couple of minutes.
Luke: Sorry we have to leave you here, but it just ain't right to eat your wife's and daughter's brains. Plus you're really disgusting and I don't want to spend anymore time with you.
This really needs to be changed imo

whats wrong with a straight up full download and a couple mins to install???

"
IMSilver wrote:
This really needs to be changed imo

whats wrong with a straight up full download and a couple mins to install???
That would require downloading the entire content.ggpk package instead of just patching new files into it. Instead of downloading a couple hundred MB and patching, you would be downloading ~4GB, most of which you already have.

If all the files weren't in the same compressed package, the process would be faster. For whatever reason, the devs decided to put them all together. I'm sure they have a good reason for doing so.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
My machine is now "Allocating Space..." for approx. 3 hours. It seems that it hasn't downloaded anything yet.

THIS is ridiculous. What is the program doing formatting each bit of my HD new?
Well, essentially, yeah. It needs a continuous space of more than four gigs; it's one file. They are going to split it into multiple files, it's just not that great a priority with Open Beta coming nearer.

I don't know how it managed to take three hours though.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Oct 28, 2012, 1:03:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info