the few, the proud, the PoE under wine players

After working flawlessly for well over a year, it broke again with the league patch. There was a smallish patch earlier this week that did NOT break it.

vk::createInstanceUnique: ErrorExtensionNotPresent

A call for help from anyone else who might be trying to get this working under wine (more specifically under lutris).

Just out of curiousity, are most people playing PoE on linux playing under steam ?
Last bumped on Jul 28, 2024, 11:54:28 AM
Same error for me. Not sure what happened.

Image:

Url (if image doesn't work): https://imgur.com/a/c7B0j68

All I know is the error appeared after a 6~Gb update of a few days ago, but I skipped the last league, so it might be caused by something else.
Last edited by Supaninja on Jul 27, 2024, 12:52:48 AM
I am - switching to DX12 has helped and the performance has been OK so far. Looking forward to a fix.

It is definitely the Settlers patch, I played a ton last league. There's a workaround (edit config to switch to DX12) in this thread for anyone who needs it.
Thanks for linking that thread, but unfortunately I'm using lutris/wine and the instructions are for a steam installation.

I haven't yet figured out how to force lutris/wine to run under DX12.

Not even sure if it's possible.

This was definitely the Friday/league patch. I ran the game on Wednesday and it was fine.
It works on my wife's computer with lutris (Linux Mint).
It does work on my computer with lutris, although lately there's an issue patching. For some reason the .exe is not removed thus I have to delete it manually and rename the .tmp to .exe.
Another issue I've been having (also in Affliction and Necropolis) is that towns often crash. No issues in Act areas or maps, just towns. Lioneye's Watch worst of all.

I'm using my system's default wine (9.5) in the Lutris config and with it PoE runs fine, except for the issues with towns.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Mikrotherion wrote:

I'm using my system's default wine (9.5) in the Lutris config and with it PoE runs fine, except for the issues with towns.

My only option is wine-staging 9.12 and that doesn't work either.

Is there a way for you to dump your lutris configuration for PoE ?

I've been trying to look for a way to simply dump the configure for a game but I haven't found one. you can dump debugging information but that's way too messy.
Last edited by plasticeyes on Jul 27, 2024, 2:37:41 PM
"
plasticeyes wrote:
"
Mikrotherion wrote:

My only option is wine-staging 9.12 and that doesn't work either.

Is there a way for you to dump your lutris configuration for PoE ?

I've been trying to look for a way to simply dump the configure for a game but I haven't found one. you can dump debugging information but that's way too messy.

Sorry, that was NOT the version I'm using. It is one of the Wines I have installed.
I'm using wine-ge-8-25-x86_64

In your home folder there's a hidden folder .config (you can unhide it usually by pressing CTRL+h). In the .config folder there's a folder named lutris, with the subfolder games.
In that there are .yml files for all the games.
Open the path-of-exile..... file.
At the end of the file there's an entry slug and at the very end year.
You could paste this

system:
env:
DXVK_USE_PIPECOMPILER: '1'
DXVK_USE_PLACEHOLDER_SHADERS: '1'
pulse_latency: true
reset_pulse: true
version: Standalone w/ DXVK
wine:
Audio: pulse
battleye: false
d3d_extras: false
dxvk: false
dxvk_nvapi: false
eac: false
version: wine-ge-8-25-x86_64
vkd3d: false

in between and that should give you my configuration.
However, you'd have to have wine-ge-8-25-x86_64 installed. You can install wine versions by locating "Wine" on the left hand side of lutris under "Runners". Click on the squarish symbol to manage wine versions. Usually you'll be presented with a number of choices. If 8-25-ge... is not among them anymore, experiment with a few other versions.

Hope this helps.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
thanks a lot for posting your config !!

strangely my GE-proton keeps showing up as lutris-GE and not wine-GE, but I definitely installed wine-GE

well, I think I have a very close match to your config at this point, and it's still dying with the exact same error.

At this level we'd have to start getting really detailed on library versions.

oh well. I was looking forward to this league. LOL.

Just going to cross my fingers that we get patch that fixes it. That's what happened last time, which coincidentally was almost exactly a year ago.

system:
env:
DXVK_USE_PIPECOMPILER: '1'
DXVK_USE_PLACEHOLDER_SHADERS: '1'
pulse_latency: true
reset_pulse: true
vk_icd: ''
variables: {}
version: Standalone w/ DXVK
wine:
battleye: false
d3d_extras: false
dxvk: false
dxvk_nvapi: false
dxvk_version: v2.4
eac: false
esync: true
fsr: true
fsync: true
show_debug: -all
version: lutris-GE-Proton8-25-x86_64
vkd3d: false
vkd3d_version: v2.12

basically it looks like you did what I thought, disable all the vulkan stuff which should cause a fallback to DX12. I'm not convinced that's what's happening or it would definitely fix the problem, but I don't know what else to try.

also - tried pretty much every proton i have . the older ones don't work AT ALL. PoE crashes.

Thanks again!
Last edited by plasticeyes on Jul 27, 2024, 4:26:33 PM
DirectX11 !

DX12 and vulkan do not work.

once dx11 was enabled it worked but the graphics had no contrast and performance was quite poor.

I then enabled both DXVK an VKD3D and the contrast issue was fixed and the performance is decent. Not as good as vulkan, but it's reasonable enough for leveling. LOL

you do NOT need to have a steam installation to make the config file fixed. I was confused. There is a config file associated with PoE and the graphics interface can be specified.

On my system the production_Config.ini file is located here

/media/ssd2/Games/path-of-exile/drive_c/users/<username>/Documents/My Games/Path of Exile/

As per the other thread on this subject, change the line to

renderer_type=DirectX11

and it should work.

I sure hope a future patch fixes the vulkan problem, my PoE performance on linux using Vulkan was excellent.
Last edited by plasticeyes on Jul 27, 2024, 8:58:53 PM
Thanks all for the contributions.

For those in a hurry, I fixed by doing the following:

1. If you know where find your production_Config.ini file is, skip to 2. Otherwise locate it with:
find / -name production_Config.ini 2>/dev/null

2. open the file with your favorite text editor.

3. edit the line with "renderer_type" so the following:
renderer_type=DirectX11

4. save.

5. run the game.

I'll note that I found success also with renderer_type=DirectX12.

Once again, thanks all for the help.
Last edited by Supaninja on Jul 28, 2024, 7:13:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info