tormented spirits crashing games

since the patch ive been having constant crashes whenever theres tormented spirits either on the unskipable league that makes them spawn on death *crash* ritual spirits *crash* ive reinstaled the game i cleared caches i did everything i could to fight this i tried all the direct x11 12 vulcan all the settings all crashes please fix literaly cant play the game
Last bumped on Apr 18, 2024, 10:18:39 PM
I'm right here suffering with you. Any time tormented spirits are involved at all, my game locks up and hangs then crashes.
Seems like my problem was maybe Searching Exarch? I was running maps the last couple days with Searching Exarch on the map device and whenever Tormented Spirits were in the map, I would lock up and hang then crash. However, switching over to Eater of Worlds, now I can run tormented spirits and it's not a problem.

I'll update if something changes with this.

Edit: Running with "Possessed by or Touched by Tormented Spirits" Necropolis mod and Eater of Worlds still resulted in lock up + hang then crash.

Edit #2: Did Eater of Worlds and "Pack spawns a tormented spirit on death" Necro mod. I put it on the very bottom for the lowest pack density. No crash.

Edit #3: Eater of Worlds + "Pack spawns a tormented spirit on death" on lowest pack density map immediately after Edit #2 above. Took a few steps into map, popped delirium mirror, killed a pack or two and locked up. Waited for about a minute, then all of a sudden game fast forwards and kills me and my party member. We jump back in map, go a bit further into the map and it locks up and hangs. This time I click through to crash the game fully so i don't die again.

Happy to provide anything needed, but may end up taking a break for a bit until this is potentially resolved in future as it is very disruptive.

Details on issue are as OP describes. Whenever Tormented Spirits are on the map at all or packs are Touched or Possessed, there's a good chance I will hang/crash using Eater of Worlds and/or Searing Exarch.

PC specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor, 3401 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
RAM: 64GB total installed physical

Game Settings:
Renderer: DX12
Triple-Buffering: Off currently, but after deleting my config in troubleshooting, it was On. Crash happened in both cases
Multithreading: Enabled, have not disabled to test
Dynamic Resolution: On or Off, I have experienced crashes in both states
Other settings: I had all graphics settings turned all the way up before deleting configs and I experienced crashes. After deleting configs, I have not changed away from mostly default settings except for turning off Dynamic Resolution.
Video of crash: I will take this and upload when next I am able

Skills being used (can't tell if it's a problem with specific skills or not since Lightning Arrow and Manaforged Arrows are being spammed basically):
Me: Smite, Flame Dash, Haste via Divine Blessing, Soul Link
My auras: Discipline, Vaal Discipline, Rejuvenation Totem, Vaal Rejuvenation Totem, Precision, Purity of Fire, Purity of Ice, Vitality, Wrath, Anger, Clarity, Determination, Purity of Lightning, Grace, Defiance Banner
Party member: Lightning Arrow, Vaal Lightning Arrow, Flame Dash, Manaforged Arrows > Frenzy + Storm Rain + Blast Rain, CWDT > Molten Shell, Mark on Hit > Sniper's Mark
Party member auras: Petrified Blood, Purity of Elements, War Banner

Party member notable equip: Headhunter, Winds of Change for knockback
Last edited by Cyborg346 on Apr 18, 2024, 12:02:34 AM
Update to the above:

Ran into a map with "Spawns a Tormented Spirit" necro mod when the pack dies. Had delirium, beyond, searing exarch turned on with domination and breach scarabs. I had all my MTX turned off. My party member had the following MTX effects equipped and we crashed almost instantly after killing the first couple packs:

Illusionist Bow
Illusionist Quiver
Night Lotus Helmet (IV)
Ghostveil Body Armor
Ghostveil Gloves
Ghostveil Boots
Cosmos Weapon Effect
Black Hole Rare Finisher Effect
Shaper's Slam Unique Finisher Effect
Vampiric Soul Amulet
Darkshard Helmet Attachment
Pitch Black Bandana Attachment
Luminary Charges
Headhunter Character Effect
Harvest Footprints Effect

We came back in an he turned off all MTX and we were able to clear the entirety of that same map with no issues.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info