Please show how many whispers were already sent on trade

Dear GGG, would it be possible to make the trade website show how many times people were already whispered to (with the direct whisper button) for items they listed in trade? And possibly add a filter for it to hide listings past a selected count?

If someone already got whispered 20+ times for an item, there's no point in trying to buy it, they already have a buyer, or don't intend to sell.
Last bumped on Mar 6, 2024, 10:22:43 PM
That would be too easily abused by bots, who could just mass spam and then noone else would bother to whisper
Bots can already do that to prevent someone from trading, adding a counter wouldn't change much in that regard. You also would need an insane number of bots to spam everyone listing items multiple times. And then, people would just increase the number of previous whispers in their filter, exponentially increasing the number of bots required.

I'm pretty sure the sheer spam of bot whispers needed to abuse this would be far more disruptive than the lack of genuine buyers.
This is another one-sided feature that at best only helps buyers on low value trades like leveling uniques but makes it worse for everyone else.

1. If you're currently someone that mostly sells items you've probably noticed that even if you invite people within the first five seconds you won't sell item until you've invited 10+ players even on items in the 10-50d range. I've had this issue even with magebloods when they still were 200d+.
These players won't get their sale anymore even tho they're trying their hardest to sell the item.

2. If you've ever had something like a high demand diviniation card, a very uniquely rolled watcher's eye or something else with very high demand and almost no supply you probably know how fun it can be when you get spammed followed by lowballs.
These are dead whispers that would increase the counter.

You don't even need to include bots and brigading.
For point 1. that hasn't happened to me apart from a few items where people tend to spam tons of sellers, and never with items above 10 div. I don't know if I've been lucky or you've been unlucky. And if you've failed to sell despite being whispered, you can relist to reset the counter.

For point 2, my proposal should either reduce the spam, or have no impact at all, so it should be a net positive. lowball offers also wouldn't show up in the counter unless they use the direct whisper.

Finally, even in the case where someone figures out a way to bloat the counter artificially, you don't need to look at the counter, and trade would work the same way it does now until the exploit is fixed.
This would be really helpful to screen sellers who just fill their low price tabs with stuff and never bother to actually sell any of it.

If someone is buying some rare stuff they wouldn't probably use this value too much, because there are not so many offers to begin with.
Same with someone looking for a bargain. If you want the cheapest possible, you'd just not use this value and try your luck with whispering the low prices anyway.

It would be a great help even if it wasn't a filter, but just a value that would show up in trade.
I guess it's either 1 or 48,000. Nothing in between, right?
Trade doesn't have any issues that warrant dev time imo.

This problem is entirely driven by the community mindset and doesn't exist in hctrade because the community is small and not full of bots.

The easiest solution would be to remove headhunter, original sin, nimis, hateforge mirrors, and mageblood from the game. Then make divines almost as rare as mirrors.

These items cause the problem, these items are what cause people to care about 1 thing only divines/hr. The mindset causes the trade issues. not the trade system itself.

The only change i could get behind is bulk currency being instant buyout style.
the root of this problem is actually the trade system itself. it really amuses me whenever i see posts like this.

its like taking a motorbike, then adding more wheels, then making the engine bigger, changing the fuel tank to be bigger. all that work and effort but refusing to just change to a car.

we dont need to deal with all this with automated trade.
[Removed by Support]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info